Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:24:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Blood on the Sands [new project]  (Read 9057 times)

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Blood on the Sands [new project]
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 06:01:49 AM »
I have some cunning ideas about arena bases incl photocopying the hexes onto sandpaper ...  ;)

First games last night against Nice John.

AAR to follow but here are a couple of photos...

Right-O, so, from the lofty heights of one casual read through of the rules & a single practice game i felt well qualified to show Nice John the ropes, so to speak.

We had a flick through the main rules again and the basic mechanics of how fights worked. In essence, we decided just to get on with it ...

NJ being a gentleman of a certain size opted to take the Murmillo while i used the lightly armoured & nimble Thraex

We rolled for attributes with John's luck being in scoring 4s on Strength, Stamina & Speed!! (and Prowess) while i rolled a 4 on Skill (Skill is used to attack/defend so it could be worse). Basic stats are 3s

However John roles an Impaired on Traits and Speed (chosen randomly) is knocked back to a 3

John was successful on Initiative and before we could say "oh look at that behind you ..." he was off, bounding in like a good 'un & hacking/slashing with the Gladius at the Thraex. My Thraex, not liking the look of the Parmula (" a shield you say? Really?) defends himself with the Sica.

No Wounds were caused but the Thraex was pushed back and John having the bit between his teeth (one extra d6 attack to  his attack die pool for Pressing) wades in again, and again pushing my figure back dangerously close to the wall.

John runs out of arena dice so it's my part of turn one ...

The Thraex attacks with the Sica. The Murmillo manages to block all attacks but the Sica still wounds (if both scores are equal then the Sica creeps round the edge of the shield and bites home). A deep (3 x) wound to the Murmillo's armoured right arm. And it Bleeds (goes towards Fatigue in time). The Crowd likes this favouring both fighters.

The Murmillo is pushed back and the Thraex expends a movement die to follow up and launches a Targeted attack. The Murmillo was obviously expecting an attack in a different area as another deep wound is caused to the right arm partially disabling it. The Murmillo stumbles backwards dropping his Gladius. the Crowd goes wild!

[EDIT: i have to say at this stage that rolling high really helps especially if your opponent can't roll Defence for toffee and also i'm using an extra die/Skull against John each attack - John rolled three of these. Ouch!]

Turn 2 - the Thraex gets the Initiative and launches an attack ...

The Thraex sensing blood (actually its everywhere) rushes in and causes another bad wound, this time to the torso ...

The Thraex pauses for breath but no there's no need. The Murmillo is already Exhausted [starting Stamina level plus number of Fatigue/Wounds/Bleeding counter (see score sheet below)] .... and pleads to the crowd for mercy although not forced to at this point as he's not yet Spent (we decided to knock this one on the head and have another bash!). The Mermillo is bleeding nicely, which the crowd are liking and the odds are in his favour. Usually an unmodified 8+ is required (to live) on 2d6, here modified to a 6+ because of the two Favours. He pleads to the crowd ... (there's a Carry On joke in there somewhere)

Alas, the crowd are not satisfied and demand satisfaction. "Give him own Gladius" some wag shouts. And the Thraex does ....

Thraex Viktor!!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 02:17:08 PM by H.M.Stanley »
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 06:04:01 AM »

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 06:10:11 AM »

Fun, simple quick games.

Incl the solo test, results so far are

Murmillo beat Thaex

Thraex beat Murmillo

Retiarius beat Secutor [and how!] ...

I'll spell out what was happening in the photos later

Cheers,

James

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 06:53:56 AM »
Great to hear James.  :)

Looking forward to a proper AAR soon.

And yes, Retiarius are a bit dangerous - beware.  ;D
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 07:22:22 AM »

And yes, Retiarius are a bit dangerous - beware.  ;D

Oh goody, just finished painting one last night  :D

Having our first outing next week. AAR to follow.

Looking good H.M. Stanley :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:58:33 AM by Malamute »
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 07:34:18 AM »
Sandpaper through a a photocopier  :o :o

Might not be the best idea, try it on one at work first  ;)

As Nick said, ours is next week and I'm really looking forward to it even though my ludus members are rubbish  lol

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 08:02:46 AM »
Sandpaper through a a photocopier  :o :o

Might not be the best idea, try it on one at work first  ;)

lol Also be careful not to drag any of your fallen minis across that - it could be disastrous!!  :o

Looking forward to your much awaited AAR also, Nick and James.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 12:19:33 PM »
AAR updated above chaps.

I was kidding about the sandpaper

I have a confession to make ... i didn't take any more photos as the Retiarus and Secutor were newly bought and unpainted

I could tell you the tale of the fight if you wish?

It involves a largish gentleman reaching for the Trident/Net and has a certain look in his eye ... Meanwhile my character dons heavy armour and a rather uncomfortable helmet with very small eye sockets ...

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:24:32 PM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline John Grant

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 02:49:47 PM »
Any excuse - just because in this particular bout you were so inebriated you couldn't stand up and had to take it laying down.

I'll leave you to expand upon the situation.

8)

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 03:09:25 PM »
Being tripped up by a Net [on defence] and then lying cowering under a sizeable shield is not, surprisingly, a viable tactic against someone armed with a long three-pronged instrument designed for impaling and a point [pun intended] to prove ... [sniff]

John Retreated from my attacks (viable tactic for Retiarius only - the Crowd don't like it!), tripped me in my own turn with the Net [gnashes teeth] and proceeded to pin-cushion me out of the game. All in turn 1

I did get the thumbs up from the Crowd though for Bleeding profusely [grin]

Tomorrow is another day Net Boy  ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:12:29 PM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 06:27:34 PM »
Sounds like an absolute blast...I'd love to see more.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline John Grant

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 09:45:03 PM »
Net Boy  :o

How dare you. You................ .

I'm too much of a gent to put my thoughts into words!

Just wait.
 >:(    ;)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 09:59:07 PM »
AAR updated above chaps.

Great going guys - sounds like you nailed the rules and had an exciting couple of fights.  :)

John Retreated from my attacks (viable tactic for Retiarius only - the Crowd don't like it!), tripped me in my own turn with the Net [gnashes teeth] and proceeded to pin-cushion me out of the game. All in turn 1

Sounds like John's superior tactics paid off.  ;) Took you down in a single turn?!?! That's got to be a record - we've never had that happen before.  :o

I hope the Retiarius/Secutor fight "felt" different - it obviously played differently! You two are the first to have playtested that pair outside of my group. A tip: Don't ignore an opportunity to try and break the Retiarius' trident.  ;)

Just wait.
 >:(    ;)

Now there's the spirit, right there. Looking forward to more...

Offline John Grant

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2013, 04:50:33 PM »
Well the figures were bought on Thursday they have been cleaned (not a lot to do ), based onto 25mm dia. 'washers' and undercoated. Now I just have the painting to do - why do I always get carried away with the thought of new projects?????  Just get one of them finished first and don't go over the top this time that's my message to me.

Thanks James. ;)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 05:57:06 PM »
I just had to unclick a shopping cart...I know the feeling.  I need to sort out what I have, before diving after more...sheesh... lol