Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:42:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686599
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Indoctri....letting my daughter learning the joy of tabletop gaming  (Read 10208 times)

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
Just some of the Lords of the Barony.

This is Lord Thengil Darkmoor, the second oldest son of the Darkmoor family.

This is Lord Gingli Darkmoor the youngest son of the Darkmoor family.

This Captain of Arms is Lord Tuom Wintherhearth. A landless noble.

And finally Lord Eirik Skragge, dressed in his clothing he uses when leading a small scouting force on the east side of the river.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 01:24:10 PM by Machinegunkelly »

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
Re: Indoctri....letting my daughter learning the joy of tabletop gaming
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 07:36:34 PM »
Lord Eirik Skragge assembled six of his men. All of them Archers and good with a sword. At dawn they set out on a small boat heading for the eastern side.

Lord Skragges goal was to scout out the area on the other side of the river from his keep and he wanted to see how the goblinkin guarded the river. When they reached shore they quickly searched the area, and after a while they discovered what seemed to be a small hunting band of goblins, sleeping through the day, with just a few guards. The guards seemed to be skulking in the shadows of bushes or rocks and not actually doing much guarding.

Lord Skragge thought it over and decided to ambush them. Perhaps by investigating their belongings some thing vital could be learned.

The attack was sudden and the arrows rained down on the goblins. But it seemed Lord Skragge had chosen to start the ambush to far away and no arrow hit its mark.

The goblins scuttled up and started to pour arrows back and taking cover.
As the goblins without bows closed in on the humans, and the humans seeking better firing positions, the exchance continued. One of the human slumped to the ground after being hit by an arrow.

Finally all the participants had drawns swords and two big melees formed on each border of the goblin camp.
Two more humans fell to the goblins but in the end Lord Skragges men where victorious.

Lord Skragge searched the goblins and the camp. It seemed he was correct this was a hunting party. But it looks like some of the meat they where bringing home was Orc meat. Perhaps the goblinkin wasnīt as unified as it is believed.

Borkin, one of the men told Lord Skragge that two of the men where severely injured and would need to get treatment, but the third was ready to continue fighting. -What will we do my Lord? Should we head on and try to find the Goblin camp, or should we return to the keep?

Now I have made a small test run of Fantasy warrior and my skirmish modifications. It runs smoothly but it might be a little hard to manage a kill when you are rolling so few dices. But I think it will work.

Time to lure my daughter back to the gaming table.... :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 11:32:11 AM by Machinegunkelly »

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 01:07:21 AM »
Painted minis always win. Totally not fair... ;)

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 11:36:56 AM »
Lord Skragge realised that leaving two wounded men behind in hostile land was not a good idea and choose to return to the hidden boat. They could always return later.

When they reached the river one of the archers who had been scouting ahead returned. -My Lord. In the ruins ahead there are three Orcs. They seem to searching the ruins. Probably they are looking for the Goblins we killed, but they might see us. Or worse find our boat.

Lord Skragge decided to not risk anything and kill the Orcs. And a small and one sided battle was fought. No humans where hurt and all three Orcs where killed. Two of them fell to arrows but one of them was slained by Lord Skragge in combat.

One day later back in the keep, Lord Skragge got the word that both the injured men had passed the critical point and would survive.

I didnīt manage to lure my daughter to the table so I persuaded my wife to play the humans. I went for a more RPG approach and told her about the Barony and the Lords and Ladies. I told her what had happened before, why two of the humans lay down hidden behind a rock and that she could not let the Orcs reach them.

And then we played. It took less than half an hour and she liked it. Now I will discuss with the two what happens next.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 11:34:43 AM by Machinegunkelly »

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 01:18:20 PM »
EXCELLENT! You have the makings of some FINE LOOKING troops of various skin shades & two lovely Ladies to game with...sounds like Heaven to moi.
You have my best wishes for the continued success of your recruitment drive.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 03:04:03 PM »
Just an updated map of the Barony.

Offline Teshub

• Librarian
  • Thereupon I marched against Skara and destroyed it
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 05:45:39 PM »
I emphatically agree with Nala, this is a win for everyone!  :)

Family gaming brings great joy!!
\"what slaughters of the people there were, what famine and what thirst oppressed the wretched earth.\" -History of the Franks

http://swordandsorceryrpg.com/

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 11:28:15 AM »
They came at night. the orcs had crossed the river in a small raiding band. One farm was burned to to the ground, the inhabitands fled. Those who didnīt flee were cut down toghether with the livestock. Most orcs traveled back with the meat and treasures. But not all of them. A small band pushed on towards another farm. By now Tuom Wintherhearth had led a small band of warriors to the defense of the homestead.

The battle was swift and within minutes all orcs where dead. Most by arrows but two of them to the blade of Tuom.

My wife took command of the human force since my daughter had a friend over. She played aggresivly with the archers and Tuom. They all ended up in close combat with the much heavily armed orcs, while keeping the Men at arms back in the courtyard.

But in the end she killed all orcs without any losses herself so I shouldnīt complaint.  :D

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 01:39:39 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS to The Girl on her victory! AND anyone who likes Nightmare Before Christmas enough to own a themed tee shirt is my kind of person...on that you have my condolences.

The minis, photos, & reports are TERRIFIC. Your Gaming Group is something to be be envied or imitated if possible. Keep us updated as things develop.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 03:14:47 PM »
Awesome! Your reports and pictures are great, looks like a fun group and a bright place to play. I love the human element, the flight of the farmers and the wounded soldiers.

Our kids loved the family pix too!

Jevenkah

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 12:55:44 PM »
Thanks both of you. My wife tiptoed away with a big smile on her face from being called a girl. She murmured something about it was a long time since anyone called her that.  ;)

Jevenkah: If you like stories you could go to the future section and find my AARs there. They are more of using wargaming as an excuse to write small stories.

Now to something new.

These are the Archers of Corragh. There are still some small touching up but they look good on the table. there are ten of them and that should be sufficient for our needs now. There are plenty more to paint if I should wish later.

They are as stated earlier painted not to any heraldic colours to make it possible for them to be from any Lords retinue.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 04:56:52 PM by Machinegunkelly »

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 01:28:41 PM »
The Archers are LOOKIN' GOOD...the added attention to their bases is a nice touch. GREAT WORK!

My wife tiptoed away with a big smile on her face from being called a girl. Shem murmured something about it was a long time since anyone called her that.  ;)

Being the cause of that lovely smile made my day.

Offline infelix

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 01:33:27 PM »
This is just such a great project, a great way to introduce the hobby and have some great quality time :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 02:12:14 PM »
I enjoyed catching up with what you are doing, Machinegunkelly.
Great idea to get the family involved with your gaming fix.
 8) 8)

Love the story, map and photos.
 :-*

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2013, 06:41:29 PM »
Today my Mirliton Orcs arrived and I must say that they are good. I like the looks and the casting are very good. Hardly any flash or mould lines to speak of. Finally the Orcs have gotten some bows.  :)

I have updated the Barony PDF, not very much but if you are interested pleas download it and see.