Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:39:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sculpting Log - New Batch of Sculpts Added 25/08  (Read 5846 times)

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
Re: Sculpting Log - WIP Giant Wolf Added 21/12
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 10:11:38 PM »
Wow cool! I really like the wolf!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 11:52:55 PM »
Most of your sculpts here remind me of Ed 'Troll Forged' Fortae's earlier stuff: a whizz with textures but a bit wary of structure. :) I think it's good that you're branching out into creatures with a definite form, and although (or because) it's early days yet, I'd steer you towards the three Rs - reference, reference, reference. For real creatures (even wargs are based on real creatures!) look up photographs and any anatomical diagrams to get the measurements, proportions and details. For a good example, see what Ebob did with wolfhounds here. He does make it look easy, though. :)
As you might guess, all that means getting a hang of anatomy to some degree, perhaps depending on how far you want to progress. It is usually an ongoing thing, though, and it does come in handy to know what to distort and mash up when designing fantasy creatures. ;)

Regarding putty-handling: like I say, I think you've got a pretty good handle on it already. Good shaping and smoothing; not too many nicks, divots and fingerprints! I notice the greenstuff in your photos is a bit dark and blue-ish. If you mix in an equal or greater amount of blue, I'd advise trying a bit more yellow - at least for wide surface areas and sharper details. Polymeric Systems themselves now recommend more yellow in a standard mix. It'll be little softer, less stiff, and have a longer working time.
Also, what's the yellowish material on show in a couple of the pics?

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 05:18:16 PM »
Most of your sculpts here remind me of Ed 'Troll Forged' Fortae's earlier stuff: a whizz with textures but a bit wary of structure. :) I think it's good that you're branching out into creatures with a definite form, and although (or because) it's early days yet, I'd steer you towards the three Rs - reference, reference, reference. For real creatures (even wargs are based on real creatures!) look up photographs and any anatomical diagrams to get the measurements, proportions and details. For a good example, see what Ebob did with wolfhounds here. He does make it look easy, though. :)
As you might guess, all that means getting a hang of anatomy to some degree, perhaps depending on how far you want to progress. It is usually an ongoing thing, though, and it does come in handy to know what to distort and mash up when designing fantasy creatures. ;)

Regarding putty-handling: like I say, I think you've got a pretty good handle on it already. Good shaping and smoothing; not too many nicks, divots and fingerprints! I notice the greenstuff in your photos is a bit dark and blue-ish. If you mix in an equal or greater amount of blue, I'd advise trying a bit more yellow - at least for wide surface areas and sharper details. Polymeric Systems themselves now recommend more yellow in a standard mix. It'll be little softer, less stiff, and have a longer working time.
Also, what's the yellowish material on show in a couple of the pics?

Thanks for the comments, all comments and remarks are noted for further sculpts. I wasn't aware of the changed recommended composition of greenstuff although I must admit I prefer to add more blue into the mix.

The yellowish material used is milliput for the body shape, not sure if it would survive vulcanisation thought  :?005
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 05:35:07 PM »
New update some fur added. I have added some more fur to the neck since I took this picture. Looking quite convincing I think. Still not sure on how to finish the head as it doesn't look good and I would to change it or add some more texture/detail. Any ideas?

Kind regards

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 09:11:35 PM »
Looks good - maybe extending the nose so it's further forward than the lower jaw?
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 10:05:42 PM »
The wolf/warg is coming along nicely.
 8)

I cannot add anything that vermis has not already said, but will echo him that it is nice to see something 'recognisable' as that is probably the best way of finding out how you are progressing.
Nicely, by the look of things.
 :)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 05:01:04 PM »
Thanks for the comments @Von Lucky, good idea but unsure on how to extend the nose as my experiences with adding fresh greenstuff to cured greenstufff are not that good as it seems to peel of when I want to smooth it down.  :? Maybe I use too much water to smooth it down? I Will certainly consider the option when attempting a new one.

I have also started some small 15mm alien critters that will hopefully soon appear here.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2013, 04:33:05 PM »
Some pictures of the 15mm four-armed aliens I have been making the last days. They still need some filling work between the feet and base. Metal miniature is from Armies Army and is scaled 15mm. These were based on my 28mm scaled four-armed alien.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 04:34:44 PM by Belgian »

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Sculpting Log - New Batch of Sculpts Added 25/08
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 06:16:37 PM »
New batch of sculpts as it has been a while! Painted miniature has been sculpted and decorated with plastic bits and pieces. I'm especially proud of the small earth golem/ elemental. Comments are appreciated.