Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:58:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691095
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cheap 28mm Plastic Spitfire in Action  (Read 3852 times)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Cheap 28mm Plastic Spitfire in Action
« on: July 12, 2013, 11:47:15 AM »
For the Belgian and Dutch wargamres, you can now buy cheap plastic model kits of world war two and modern aircraft at Action for only €1.99. I have bought two spitfire kits and although they aren't very detailled they could be great to fill up and airfield or make some crashed airplanes as an objective. I have added some picture of the kit which can be assembled without glue I think but decided to glue mine none the less. (28mm miniature in photo for scale) They could also be used to scratchbuild some crimson skies like airplanes in 28mm as they are dirt cheap and made of hard plastic, that takes glue well.

Each box contains two sprues, paint, decals or stickers, paint brush and instruction sheets.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 05:26:32 PM by Belgian »
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline BattlewagonBruce

• Scientist
Re: Cheap 28mm Plastic Spitfire in Action
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 11:57:41 AM »
what make are these and were did you get it?

are they 1/56 or 1/48?

look interesting

bb

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 12:11:41 PM »
Hi, No scale mentionned on the box and can't judge the correct size. They are available at a Belgian and Dutch chain of cheap overstock stores called "Action".

The manufacturer seems to be mentionned on the box as RD GmbH located in Siemenstrass 31, 47533 Kleve.

Cheers

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 12:51:41 PM »
Nice. I have no direct need for them, but I will probably get me a few to throw into Lake Plastic, at the foot of Lead Mountain... After all, you never know when you'll need kits like that :D

+++EDIT+++ forgot to ask; what other planes do they actually have?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 01:10:06 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »
Nice. I have no direct need for them, but I will probably get me a few to throw into Lake Plastic, at the foot of Lead Mountain... After all, you never know when you'll need kits like that :D

+++EDIT+++ forgot to ask; what other planes do they actually have?

Was in a hurry but there was another world war two airplane (certainly american, can't remember which type though) and two modern jetplanes (can't recall the names). Will probably go back and buy some more if I have some time, as said dirt cheap and you never know.

Offline cacofold

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 04:17:49 PM »
You can measure the wingspan and length, multiply by 56 or 48, and compare to the numbers on wikipedia to take a stab at the scale.

Offline Kane

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 05:13:04 PM »
My guess would be it's 1/72nd. I have some 1/72nd models here for my air support (P-51, P-38, pair of Tiffies) and they seem to be the same size.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaah !

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Cheap 1/56 Plastic Spitfire in Action
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 05:31:05 PM »
You can measure the wingspan and length, multiply by 56 or 48, and compare to the numbers on wikipedia to take a stab at the scale.

Model Spitfire wingspan = 21 cm

= 21 * 56 = 1176 cm
= 21 * 48 = 1008 cm

Real wingspan of Spitfire = 1123 cm

If this is correct the model would be close to 1/56.  :D

Certainly not 1/72 but I thought it was that scale but on opening the box saw the bigger airplane  ;) So for 28mm it will be, you can't be picky at €1.99.

Cheers

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 02:13:14 PM »
I went and got myself 3 spitfires and 2 mig29s.

Forget about the mig though; the box art is wrong (some strange deltawing concept plane with some sukhoi 30-somethings around it) and the mig29ish plane inside is closer to 1/72 scale or smaller.

On the shelf I also saw f16 falcons and p51 mustangs. I assume in scales to match the other two planes.

The paintsets included do not have the colours mentioned on the assembly instructions, being very basic (4 colours of cheap acrylic paints), but the accompanying brush might come to good use for drybrushing or stipling. Also, one mig box contained an extra paintset. :)

All in all not bad value for money, even though I had been hoping for me109s to be in the range. I wonder how tough it would be to convert those spitfires into messerschmidt lookalikes...  :D

Offline syr8766

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 02:41:42 PM »
I've seen these at Five Below stores in the US. built one with my five-year old. Easy to build and takes paint well.

Offline Johnnytodd

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 04:31:06 PM »
Looking at the plan and the actual model it appears that the wings were constructed backwards  :o (flaps facing forward) - sometimes you get what you pay for....

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 10:40:28 PM »
Having just clicked one together to get an idea, I can confirm there are many things wrong with the kit. But the whole idea is that this thing is only €2,- away from your workbench, and for that kind of money, it is pretty great actually!

Sure; there's no tail wheel, the wing geometry is off and there are cast recessed roundels on the wings (the only thing I really dislike). But it does get the impression across that one is looking at a Spitfire, if one is not a rivet counter that is  ;) In fact, for the uninitiated, this could very well be a Hurricane, Typhoon, P40, Bf109 or Yak2. And in my opinion, this kind of terrain pieces benefit from such versatility.

Now, with these, I might actually create an airfield scenario! Imagine a grass runway, with a dozen Spitfires lined up being serviced by their groundcrew, and several squads of Fallschirmjäger dropping in on top of the airfield... 8)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 09:02:16 AM »
Having just clicked one together to get an idea, I can confirm there are many things wrong with the kit. But the whole idea is that this thing is only €2,- away from your workbench, and for that kind of money, it is pretty great actually!

Sure; there's no tail wheel, the wing geometry is off and there are cast recessed roundels on the wings (the only thing I really dislike). But it does get the impression across that one is looking at a Spitfire, if one is not a rivet counter that is  ;) In fact, for the uninitiated, this could very well be a Hurricane, Typhoon, P40, Bf109 or Yak2. And in my opinion, this kind of terrain pieces benefit from such versatility.

Now, with these, I might actually create an airfield scenario! Imagine a grass runway, with a dozen Spitfires lined up being serviced by their groundcrew, and several squads of Fallschirmjäger dropping in on top of the airfield... 8)

Exactly what I thought, the scenario will probably be given a go when I have assembled enough miniatures.  :D Hopefully there are some fallschirmjager in my Northstar Lucky Bag, that would kickstart the project.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 09:17:33 AM »
Actually it looks somewhat more like a Spiteful than a Spitfire.  I suppose for  couple of quid it would make a  decent wreck marker. Google Supermarine Spiteful and see what I mean.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 02:35:46 PM »
He does, first I thought you were joking with the neame spitful. Wasn't aware such spitfire type even existed!  ;)