Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:07:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686510
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Brits have arrived  (Read 5832 times)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
The Brits have arrived
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 07:05:25 PM »
Plynkes - they are all Brigade. Can't remember which pack he came in though.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
The Brits have arrived
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 07:11:27 PM »
How queer. I've never seen the kneeling chaps with rifles before. I could do with some of those, as both sets of rules I use for the Great War require more men to an MG team than companies ever give you in their MG packs. Chaps kneeling with rifles usually fit in very nicely with gun crews to that end.

It isn't from any of the packs I know of. A mystery then.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
The Brits have arrived
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 07:14:53 PM »
Quote from: "Aaron"
Err..somehow I missed Plnkes second paragraph! :oops:

That's because it was an edit. I was typing it just as you were typing your post. I must have hit 'submit' a fraction of a second before you did, as the "Last edited by Plynkes... Edited 1 time in total" thing didn't come up.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
The Brits have arrived
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 07:19:45 PM »
Ah, now I don't feel like such an ass!

The Enfield is an undeniably rugged creature. I lugged mine along through a lot of Pennsylvania mud and snow chasing deer and it never let me down.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
The Brits have arrived
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 07:19:51 PM »
Rather than quote myself, I'll point you to this page where I go on (and on, and on) about the Ross Rifle:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=132097

Basically, a fine target rifle, useful for a hunter or a sniper, who have the luxury of carefully lining up each shot, but about as useful as a club when you have every German in the world running at you full tilt.  As soon as you are in a situation where you need to get a lot of rounds down range, the Ross is likely to jam - which is possibly the worst time for that to happen.

I used to paint my SMLE with metal on the top of the barrel, but I've since been enlightened.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
The Brits have arrived
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 09:28:16 PM »
Really nice work 8)

BG Brits and KAR are lovely figures to work with. Poly I've a spare unpainted BG Brit kneeling figure if you want it - I've plenty painted.

Its easy to miss not painting the extra wood on 303s especially if you have been painted mauser rifles  :o

Even a newbie at painting and with my knowledge even I've made a mistake on Soviet rifles too  :oops: (call it a blonde moment!)
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
The Brits have arrived
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 09:42:48 PM »
Nice painting.

Can I join the 'I Painted My Lee Enfield Rifles Wrong Club'? I made excatly the same mistake on my BG brits and KAR - and I'm about to change them now!!!
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
The Brits have arrived
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 09:45:31 PM »
Helen, that's very kind of you. I'll take you up on that offer if I may. PM me if you no longer have my address, is that okay?

Next time I see one of those Ostafrika mugs at a militaria show (like the one I got for Alex) it's yours. It's only fair, as you keep sending me nice things. :)

Out of curiosity, which pack does that kneeling chap come in, should I decide I need some more?

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
The Brits have arrived
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 10:03:02 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
Helen, that's very kind of you. I'll take you up on that offer if I may. PM me if you no longer have my address, is that okay?

Next time I see one of those Ostafrika mugs at a militaria show (like the one I got for Alex) it's yours. It's only fair, as you keep sending me nice things. :)

Out of curiosity, which pack does that kneeling chap come in, should I decide I need some more?

Hi Poly,

Thanks, I still have your address so I'll send it this week. If there is anything else just PM me and I'll see what I've in the spare recruiting inventory 8)

The kneeling figure was in the second pack of advancing Brit figures. If you just ask Lon I'm sure he will accomodate your request for additional kneeling figures.

Actually, whilst I do have a love for Africa a nice Austro-Hungarian mug would be even nicer  8)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
The Brits have arrived
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 11:02:12 PM »
Thanks. Second pack, eh? That explains it. No pic of that one on the site, and I would never have guessed that kneeling fellow would have come in an "advancing" pack.

Austro-Hungarian, eh? Haven't seen one of those around here. Saw one advertised in the States (Kuk Navy, it was, perfect for Otto). But the postage was a killer, which I didn't quite get. I seem to be able to send small stuff like that all over the world for not much money, why can't companies? Anyway, I'll keep me eyes peeled.  :)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
The Brits have arrived
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 11:07:16 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
Thanks. Second pack, eh? That explains it. No pic of that one on the site, and I would never have guessed that kneeling fellow would have come in an "advancing" pack.

Austro-Hungarian, eh? Haven't seen one of those around here. Saw one advertised in the States (Kuk Navy, it was, perfect for Otto). But the postage was a killer, which I didn't quite get. I seem to be able to send small stuff like that all over the world for not much money, why can't companies? Anyway, I'll keep me eyes peeled.  :)

Thanks Poly 8)

Yep you would'nt have figured a kneeling pose in an advancing pack :o

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
Re: The Brits have arrived
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 01:34:05 PM »
Nice painting.

Can I join the 'I Painted My Lee Enfield Rifles Wrong Club'? I made excatly the same mistake on my BG brits and KAR - and I'm about to change them now!!!
Me to.

Great paintjobs, btw.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)