Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:03:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pub Game Suggestions  (Read 2035 times)

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
Pub Game Suggestions
« on: July 15, 2013, 07:02:34 PM »
I'm looking for some games that can be played in a few hours that have a low level of terrain and figures and a small table size so it can be set up on a table at a pub. Can be either medieval or ancient and either 15mm or 28mm.

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
Re: Pub Game Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 07:15:48 PM »
It sounds like you are looking at either a Skirmish game like some of Ganesha games Song of Blades games, or something like DBA that plays on a 3x3 area and has 12 units to a side.
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 07:49:28 PM »
It sounds like you are looking at either a Skirmish game like some of Ganesha games Song of Blades games, or something like DBA that plays on a 3x3 area and has 12 units to a side.

Exactly but neither of those.  :) SBH is a great intro to wargaming game but it isn't stimulating for those who have and do play a lot of wargames. I've never tried DBA and I will but some of the club members hate it so I doubt it will take hold. We're thinking of games for the summers as our usual gaming spot becomes a sauna.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 08:02:06 PM »
Exactly but neither of those.  :) SBH is a great intro to wargaming game but it isn't stimulating for those who have and do play a lot of wargames. I've never tried DBA and I will but some of the club members hate it so I doubt it will take hold. We're thinking of games for the summers as our usual gaming spot becomes a sauna.

SAGA? it's a pretty neat ruleset. Actually it's not a real wargame, units are really "stilized", but can be played with 15mm in a small area, and i usually play it even on hexagons!

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 08:53:53 PM »
SAGA? it's a pretty neat ruleset. Actually it's not a real wargame, units are really "stilized", but can be played with 15mm in a small area, and i usually play it even on hexagons!

This option was put up on our club forums after I posted this and is a contender. Thanks. I would still like to see some options.

Anyone tried Battle Troll?

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 09:55:39 PM »
THere's also Pulp Alley! (And no, I am not a schill.) Small groups of characters that each player can customize their own team. They just released a campaign game for it.

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 10:01:09 PM »
THere's also Pulp Alley! (And no, I am not a schill.) Small groups of characters that each player can customize their own team. They just released a campaign game for it.

Do you have a link to it?

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 11:12:44 PM »
Gladiators for ancient.
How about a league table?

For medieval, what about some kind of jousting league?
Knight's Tale style.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 12:51:45 AM »
Gladiators for ancient.
How about a league table?

For medieval, what about some kind of jousting league?
Knight's Tale style.

My worry about games like that is they aren't about tactics but become about dice rolls.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 06:24:45 PM »
I agree that Somg of Blades and Heroes sounds perfect for what you're looking to do. I use it for Dark Ages historical and it works great. Take out the fantasy special abilities and just use ones that sound "right" for your period.

I'm starting up a Viking era campaign for my Sunday night game club, soon. SBH is easily tailored to what you want. The Special Abilities allow you to treat it like a toolbox and build the game you want. For example, I took out all the Group Moves for my games as I don't like its feel. Feels more like a skirmish with all figs moving as individuals.

Mike Demana