Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:39:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Adventuring rules?  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Adventuring rules?
« on: July 17, 2013, 08:19:02 PM »
Does anyone know of a rule set that can be used for a kind of semi-RPG-ish game where one or more heroic individuals can solve tasks and maybe earn some experience and/or gain some followers over a series/campaign of games?

It should be playable as a miniatures game, but characterful enough to capture the minds of the players.

I know of CROM!, which is a fine game, but requires too much preparation (making cards, etc.) for the time and effort I can put into it atm, so I would prefer something with standard adversaries fleshed out for ready use, and maybe rules for generating 'bosses'/more unusual creatures.

I remember a thread about a similar kiind of game, but I think it was played with some partly home-brewed rules (or a tweak of an existing rule set.

Could Broadsword Adventures from Rattrap be what I'm looking for?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Vauln

• Librarian
Re: Adventuring rules?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 08:32:56 PM »
Look at this free pdf, http://www.kenzerco.com/product_info.php?products_id=862. It may be of some use.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 08:37:31 PM »
Look at this free pdf, http://www.kenzerco.com/product_info.php?products_id=862. It may be of some use.

I'll have a look, thanks!

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 08:42:06 PM »
I do not know about the later versions. But D&D 3.5 was designed to be used with miniatures on a grid. But they might be to much rules for what you are after and hard to find.

Offline Turbo-Ben

• Scientist
    • Partisan-Con Mannheim
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 09:04:03 PM »
We talked about the same today - I will follow this with interest.

Offline BigB

• Librarian
    • The Ocala Garrison
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 09:20:55 PM »
I run Swords & Wizardry from Frog God Games for my group.  Essentially, DnD lite.  Easier on the GM and players both.

The Swords & Wizardry project builds and supports free-form roleplaying games. That is to say, games where “light” rules create a framework instead of trying to cover every detail, every rule, and every situation. The Swords & Wizardry game “clones” the original rules of the fantasy roleplaying game that started it all back in 1974, when it was published by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 10:30:10 PM »
My rules - 'Cavern Crawl' - might be of interest to you. Currently they are being 'beta tested' and the current test version will be the last before an official release complete with original artwork, improved layout etcetera later this year (hopefully in the autumn). Cavern Crawl 2.8 may be downloaded freely HERE. If you decide to take a look, please let me know what you think. More info can be found on my blog (see signature below).

Cheers

Gareth

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 10:54:42 PM »
Savage Worlds will do the job too. It's an RPG with tabletop rules and is highly customizable. A lot of the basic stuff is available for free on the Pinnacle publishing website.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline doctor_ocks

• Librarian
    • My Lego Wargame Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 11:25:35 PM »
For my money, nothing beats Song of Blades and Heroes. While its not an RPG, its generic and customizable enough to allow for fun narrative play. You can also try Tale of blades and Heroes which IS an RPG if you want more in depth character creation.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 03:40:56 AM »
Song of Blades is my favorite system. Howver it would be hard to run the individual character through the early levels and progressions, and honestly there's not much to progress toward.  You can up your stats a couple of times and buy some stuff, but SBH is not about individual growth so much as warband growth. Tales of Blades and Heroes might have something for you though.

Have you looked at Goalsystem Delves?  Goalsystem's emphasis on Heroes and Mooks could be just what you're looking for.  Also, it gives more ways to help Heroes survive.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 08:27:02 AM »
My rules - 'Cavern Crawl' - might be of interest to you. Currently they are being 'beta tested' and the current test version will be the last before an official release complete with original artwork, improved layout etcetera later this year (hopefully in the autumn). Cavern Crawl 2.8 may be downloaded freely HERE. If you decide to take a look, please let me know what you think. More info can be found on my blog (see signature below).

Cheers

Gareth

I'll have a look, thanks - I don't know if I'll get around to reading them the next couple of weeks, as we are experiencing a heat wave right now, but I'll get back with some thoughts when I get it done.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 08:27:59 AM »
Savage Worlds will do the job too. It's an RPG with tabletop rules and is highly customizable. A lot of the basic stuff is available for free on the Pinnacle publishing website.

I'll definitely have a look at that, too! Thanks!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 08:35:32 AM »
For my money, nothing beats Song of Blades and Heroes. While its not an RPG, its generic and customizable enough to allow for fun narrative play. You can also try Tale of blades and Heroes which IS an RPG if you want more in depth character creation.

I have most of the stuff for SBH, and I love the system. I need something where the adventurers/heroes do not get killed too easily, and maybe I should get TBH and try it out.

Song of Blades is my favorite system. Howver it would be hard to run the individual character through the early levels and progressions, and honestly there's not much to progress toward.  You can up your stats a couple of times and buy some stuff, but SBH is not about individual growth so much as warband growth. Tales of Blades and Heroes might have something for you though.

Have you looked at Goalsystem Delves?  Goalsystem's emphasis on Heroes and Mooks could be just what you're looking for.  Also, it gives more ways to help Heroes survive.

Yup, TBH might be a good place to go. When will Goalsystem Delves be available - I can see it's been funded on KS, but is there a release date?

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 08:29:08 PM »
Goalsystem Delves is already out.  At this point, I think it's only a PDF, but they do give you full color and printer frendly versions.
http://www.wargamedownloads.com/item.php?item=1065&Site=TGN

I have most of the stuff for SBH, and I love the system. I need something where the adventurers/heroes do not get killed too easily, and maybe I should get TBH and try it out.

Yup, TBH might be a good place to go. When will Goalsystem Delves be available - I can see it's been funded on KS, but is there a release date?

Offline Kiltedyaksman

• Assistant
  • Old School
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 10:32:22 PM »
I'd recommend Labyrinth Lord (a b/x clone). We have a basic set of mini rules that we use but dont slow the game down.