Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:20:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Welcome to the new Lead Adventure Forum!  (Read 30103 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Welcome to the new Lead Adventure Forum!
« on: May 07, 2008, 05:55:41 PM »
Dear Lead Adventurer,

welcome to your new home at http://leadadventureforum.com! I really hope you like it and you'll feel comfortable here as usual. As you see a lot has changed. Actually we have a quite new forum now but with old contents. Why changed? No idea...why not?

OK, initially I was thinking about a new software platform due to the web server problems and repeating 500 errors. Thanks to pixelgeek from TGN I have found the Simple Machines public board software and was really impressed by it. Apart from a better engine than old phpBB, SM has lots of nice and useful features and mods.

As I started the installation of the new software my next idea was to change the URL. Actually I liked the old one "forum.backofbeyond.de" but it said not too much about the name of the forum and the content. Recently I got some donations from you and I thought it would be a nice investition to give LAF a new link and so I went and bought a new domain - http://leadadventureforum.com

After that I installed the forum, imported the old contents and took a look at it. New software, new link, why not a new layout? After a while looking through the Simple Machines themes I've discovered one, that i liked, namely this one. Initially It was looking a bit different, and some more overfilled. I changed some things, had to cleaned some other and here is it. How said once on LAF , some of you will like this new layout and the new colours and some of you not. I just hope there are some people who like it.

The next invest of your donations was to buy a SMHacks gallery feature for the forum. That's a really nice one, I like a lot the idea to have a gallery here, so we don't need to jump to "Image-Photo-things" to upload a pic. You can do it in the forum, and your gallery can handle with subcategories so you can build up an own gallery here with different topics etc. For example I've created a little gallery of my miniatures and another one of the LPL entries -... I think it's quite usefull for people without own website.

Another new feature we got is Downloads. An usefull one, I guess, easy to use and always necessary.

Calender. Another nice one, you'll be able to create events and at the same time start a topic about it. For this reason I've created a new board "Events and Conventions".

Post Attachments. You'll love it, now we're able to attach a file/image to a post. A long-awaited feature, as far as i know.

Although I have to say, all these nice things (Gallery, Calender, Attachment, Downloads) are only available for the supporting members of this forum. Of course, the regular members are able to see the gallery entries, to download files, see and discuss the events but not to create all that.

Btw, supporting members, at the moment the old loved Guggenhem avatar medal won't be displayed for some reason. But I'm working on it, it will be back for sure.

Chess. When one of my friends heard I've put a Chess feature to the forum, he said, we dont need stuff like this. Who knows, perhaps he's right and we really don't. But I would like to try this. I like chess and would like to play it regularly. So maybe someone from the forum likes chess too and we could play some games. I'm not a good chess player but that doesn't matter, only fun matters. Btw, you don't need to be a supporting member to play chess 

Another new feature are the child boards. So I've renamed the old "Announcements" board to “Announcements and forum stuff“ and splitted it to some child boards - Forum News, Introductions, About Forum, Events and Conventions.

There is still a lot to tell but i think it's enough for now. Next days/weeks, I will start again and again new topics with single themes. Today more about using of gallery - http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=5617.0

Now just take some time and have a look at the new LAF. I'm sure you have questions and probably you would discover some errors or you'll find out that some of your old permissons are gone. In that case, just let me know, I will try to help you as soon as possible. By the way we have an online help feature on the forum, just click the button Help in menu or the link http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=help

yours
Prof.

Offline Auton

• Mad Scientist
    • The Lead Mountain Blog
Re: Welcome to the new Lead Adventure Forum!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 06:22:21 PM »
Oooo, shiney and new!  :-*

I've only had a quick look about but I spotted that long images seem to be chopped off to the width of the board. Anyway to get around this?

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead Painters League Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 06:24:10 PM »
Great layout, I'm in envy :)

Offline Lurch

• Librarian
    • http://www.miniaturicum.de
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 06:24:46 PM »
pst...somebody here already?
so quite ...

everybody still looking...

oh there is one...two

cool new place!

"Hier hast Du Buch! Hier hast Du Wurzel! B???MMMM! ", Grimm

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 06:25:04 PM »
Oooo, shiney and new!  :-*

I've only had a quick look about but I spotted that long images seem to be chopped off to the width of the board. Anyway to get around this?

that's OK, it's to prevent making width of the page too large, just click on the pic, it will be opened in a new window, or scroll it sidewards

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 06:25:55 PM »
Whoa. I like the change, Alex! Lots of nice new features, and I'm looking forward to trying them out. Even the "Post Reply" box has new stuff to try out.

Like this
I'm not challenging you to chess, though.  lol

Offline Jase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 06:31:21 PM »
Looks great!

Indeed! This is funky!

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 06:32:10 PM »
Looks great Prof.  I really like the new banner at the top!

Offline knoxville

• Mr. Happiness
  • Mad Scientist
    • ЯEAKTOR.MINIATURES
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 06:40:59 PM »
no new smilies?  >:(
I was there the day that Horus fell.
ЯEAKTOR.MINIATURES

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 06:44:40 PM »
no new smilies?  >:(

no  :D but new avatars!

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 06:57:48 PM »
Looking good so far prof :)
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 06:58:19 PM »
Ahhhh  :o :-*

just entered the new site, really impressing!

Very nice layout and colours, and a lovely new header pic.

Now I'm going to explore a bit more ...

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 06:59:15 PM »
Very Cool! I really like the new look. The fancy doo-dads all over the place will take some exploring.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 07:01:16 PM »
It all looks very nice.

Not sure if the mad scrolly text is an 'upgrade' or not.  :)
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 07:18:31 PM »
Oooh - sexy  :)
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com