Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 09:17:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Brecourt Manor-WIP  (Read 16107 times)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: Brecourt Manor-WIP
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 08:04:42 PM »
Not much of an update I'm afraid. But I've added in some sandbags more for aesthetic value, than anything else.

aesthetic value is quite everyhing! otherwise we could play on a plain canvas! :D

Offline Goosegog

• Librarian
    • Blog spot
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2013, 09:10:27 PM »
Try dusting with coloured chalk, then sealing it with spray fixative/matt varnish for a dusty look.

Tony

I did try MIG 'Dust Effects' but even thinned I was not too happy with the result and light coloured weathering powders did not seem much better. Though I've never tried chalk or pastels.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2013, 10:02:41 PM »
I prefer pastels myself  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Goosegog

• Librarian
    • Blog spot
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2013, 01:36:10 PM »
Firstly, sort of an apology. I had hoped to be further a head on this but had a 'mare with trees (if only that was all I had to worry about!). Anyway spent the weekend putting together the trees for the boards or at least tried to. I started off using Woodland Scenic clump foliage on the tree armatures.

But was not entirely happy with the result. So I looked for an alternative and found some rubberised horsehair lurking at the back of the cupboard (quite literally). So having never used this stuff I gave it a go.

First couple of trees were rushed and a bit messy. But served their purpose. So I did some more but took a bit more time and this was the result.

I'm happier with the second batch of three. To me they look more realistic.

On all of the trees I've used PVA to stick the horsehair to the armatures. Then used hairspray to stick the flock, plus I tried Daler & Rowney fixative once the flock was applied to see if that helped. Hairspray seemed to be the initial adhesive of choice after doing a search on various forums etc..  On the first attempts I sprayed the trees with Woodland Scenic cement to hold the flock.

So the tree on the left as had glue applied the one on the right has not. I've ordered the scenic spray glue from Treemendus which was recommended after a search on the internet. Once that arrives I'll see if it less messy to use than the Woodland Scenic glue spray.

Trial and error this past weekend. Something I thought would be relatively quick turned out to be stop/start and back to the drawing board.

If any one can offer any alternatives for sticking the flock to the rubberised horsehair I'd be grateful for suggestions. One product I saw mentioned on a railway forum (I think) was mounting glue for card(?) in spray cans. 

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 02:19:52 PM »
You could try photomount which is a very strong version of hairspray but wear a mask as its really bad for you lungs  :-X

The last trees look really good and fit in with the rest if the board  8)

cheers

James

Offline Kane

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 02:35:43 PM »
I think both versions look good to be honest. Both horsehaired and woodland flocked. Besides, gives the trees a bit of diversity, no?
Daaaaaaaaaaaaah !

Offline Wilkins

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2013, 05:18:38 PM »
Much prefer the horse hair trees, think they're really nice and well worth the extra effort. Your progress has been a highlight to an otherwise uninteresting Monday!

Offline Goosegog

• Librarian
    • Blog spot
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2013, 10:41:30 PM »
You could try photomount which is a very strong version of hairspray but wear a mask as its really bad for you lungs  :-X

The last trees look really good and fit in with the rest if the board  8)

cheers

James

Thanks James. I'll have a look for the photomount as an alternative.

Offline Goosegog

• Librarian
    • Blog spot
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2013, 10:47:25 PM »
I think both versions look good to be honest. Both horsehaired and woodland flocked. Besides, gives the trees a bit of diversity, no?

The good Mrs G. also thought the woodland scenic flock trees should be mixed in with the horsehair trees. But I'm not convinced at the moment.

Though I'm considering using the clump foliage exclusively for the hedgerows since I think it looks good, having used it for some bocage pieces I made a while back. Though I'm just not too sure how the two different mediums will look together?

Thank you and Wilkins for your comments.

Offline Kane

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2013, 07:14:32 AM »
I can understand that. But when you look outside no 2 trees are the same, right? :) But how you can check it? Well, if you have a piece of spare terrain, fit some on there, temporarily and take a couple of steps back to look at it?

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2013, 09:49:24 AM »
Both types look great to me.
Trees are something I have not tried to make myself.
Seeing yours I think I shall have to have a good sometime.

I would mix the two tree types together, it would seem much more natural.

Either way, they look good.
Very good!
 :-* :-*

I prefer pastels myself  :)

lol
Too much time spent with Nick.
Thats what I reckon.

Offline Goosegog

• Librarian
    • Blog spot
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2013, 10:18:49 AM »
Kane, Mason

I agree totally. Just walking around locally, there is a quite a difference in the various trees/hedgerows/bushes/undergrowth etc.. Something which we all notice but I personally have been paying more attention to recently. I've been playing around with the layout already, particularly since I would like to use the clump foliage for hedgerows and not horsehair. What I want to avoid is the appearance that I've just thrown pieces on to it and result is messy or uncoordinated. What I want to achieve is a blending of the various foliage, akin to what can be seen on railway layouts, but taking into consideration of the fact it will used for wargaming.

As I mentioned previously the good Mrs G. is of the same opinion as yourselves that variation would/may offer a more realistic appearance to the board.

In all honesty I been moved out of comfort zone. I had planned to use clump foliage for trees, hedgerows etc., but since I'm leaning towards using a different material(s) I've got to consider how to gel them all together or not at all.

Really appreciate your input and opinions.

Regards

Offline Kane

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
The clump foilage trees don't look like it's thrown on in my opinion.

If you want to blend foilage (dark with lighter in the same tree, I'm assuming), you could aways work with (I think it's) lichen (http://sceneryexpert.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/forest-green-lichen.jpg <-- this stuff), spray it with watered down PVA glue and flock it with several coloured leaf foilage ? Noch sells that stuff. I use it for my bocage. I guess you could use clump foilage and flock that, but that would be a waste of money in my humble opinion.

Offline Goosegog

• Librarian
    • Blog spot
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2013, 11:18:55 AM »
The clump foilage trees don't look like it's thrown on in my opinion.

If you want to blend foilage (dark with lighter in the same tree, I'm assuming), you could aways work with (I think it's) lichen (http://sceneryexpert.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/forest-green-lichen.jpg <-- this stuff), spray it with watered down PVA glue and flock it with several coloured leaf foilage ? Noch sells that stuff. I use it for my bocage. I guess you could use clump foilage and flock that, but that would be a waste of money in my humble opinion.

I now the stuff you're referring too (the Noch leaves). But I had not considered lichen. More food for thought.

Offline Kane

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2013, 12:34:20 PM »
I'll see to take some pictures of my bocage tonight and put'em online here, so you have an idea what it looks like.

Edit: I'm afraid it will be for this weekend. Normally I have a battle this saturday and I can show you my bocage then. I have some pictures, but they're focussing on a tank, not on the hedgerows. Though the tank has some leaves on it.

Like this:

But I'll add clearer pictures in the weekend. Normally.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 06:00:37 PM by Kane »