Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:22:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691122
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Stickies?  (Read 3611 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Stickies?
« on: May 08, 2008, 09:41:07 AM »
Right, people! New management here! Time to roll up the arms and clean up this pigsty. Pitiful how it's gone to seed!

Kidding, kidding! The beauty of Lead Adventures Forum is that it seems self manageing in terms of interesting topics and civil exchange.

I have however an idea I would like to kick arround, the rosy cheeked utopist that I am. I'd like to make a few stickes in the Workbench section about techniques and tools, all memebers, for the benefit of. Of course I'd like your ideas here. I am thinking one sticky about minipainting techniques, one about terrain making, another about what magic tools you have in your arsenal. What else? There can't be to many; I find it some what annoying in some forums I visited to find a topic page filled with sticky posts so you have to scroll all the way to the bottom to find the last new post.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 09:44:38 PM by hammershield »

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: Stickes?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 09:48:34 AM »
if we should to have too many stickies one day we could open a child board (Tutorials, whatever) for the Workbench and put all that stuff in there.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:55:53 AM »
Sounds good to me.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:04:08 AM »
Hi Peder,

Congrats and best wishes for the workload ahead 8)
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:12:40 AM »
Peder, by the way, just in case you don't know what to do at all or what tutorial to make first, please do make a tutorial about making water! I very liked your water surface in one of the recent LPL entries :)

Of course I would appreciate every tutorial of every member about that subject  8)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 10:47:52 AM »
Peder, by the way, just in case you don't know what to do at all or what tutorial to make first, please do make a tutorial about making water! I very liked your water surface in one of the recent LPL entries :)

Of course I would appreciate every tutorial of every member about that subject  8)

That's the plan.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 11:09:55 AM »
Hammers

The one thing that comes up over and over is photography. Sounds like a suitable case for treatment. Maybe we could get one of the expert snappers to write up a definitive tutorial? I know there's plenty of this advice out there on the interweb, but not here on LAF to the best of my knowledge... And the same old questions keep getting asked. I've been through the pain on this, so I sometimes try to answer as best as I can, but it's not really my forte... Just a thought.

Another suggestion might be basing - it's another oft-discussed basic requirement...

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 11:33:50 AM »
I second the idea about a tutorial for taking pretty pictures.

Actually after my abysmal skills in taking decent pictures I already looked a bit more around and found one which is actually very detailed:

http://www.weetoysoldiers.com/wp/?p=439

Sadly though nothing in there considering taking good pictures from a battle report or other scenic encounters
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 11:56:11 AM »

The one thing that comes up over and over is photography. Sounds like a suitable case for treatment. Maybe we could get one of the expert snappers to write up a definitive tutorial? I know there's plenty of this advice out there on the interweb, but not here on LAF to the best of my knowledge... ]

Amen to that. I find it one of the more frustrating aspects of ... this thing we are doing. Sure I got me a new camera and it helped but I still want to learn how to get the images crisper so I can share my efforts.

Quote from: Captain Blood
Another suggestion might be basing - it's another oft-discussed basic requirement...

Good idea.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 01:23:36 PM »
Personally I'd like to see a tutorial on how to scratch-build Hattifatteners (Swedish: Hattifnattar) as there just doesn't seem to be a decent 28mm range of these most eerie and unsettling of Scandinavian monsters.  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 01:44:46 PM »
Personally I'd like to see a tutorial on how to scratch-build Hattifatteners (Swedish: Hattifnattar) as there just doesn't seem to be a decent 28mm range of these most eerie and unsettling of Scandinavian monsters.  :)

Finnish monsters, so they are technically not Scandinavians. Some psuedo-biologists may argue that since Tove Jansson is Finnish Swedes they are somewhat in a grey zone but to avoid opening the lid of that can of worms I suggest you call them Nordic monsters.

I will consider your suggestion most carefully.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 03:15:24 PM »
I did not realise that Finns were not considered to be Scandinavian. They display the Scandinavian trait of not being able to line up the cross in the centre of their flag (which I have always put down to drink). That must be what threw me off.

The Finnish form is, I believe Hattivatit. Whatever you call them, the damnable, unnerving things still haunt me.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 03:35:34 PM »
Curse you Plynkes!  >:(

Just made me go and look up the damned little creatures. Now I'll be scanning my sock drawer constantly to make sure none of them has decided to bed down it. lol
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 08:36:34 PM »
Hatifattners as in the massed ranks of dead eyed electric sausages from the Moomins?

They scared the bejaysis out of me when I was little.  :'(

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
Re: Stickies?
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 09:07:39 PM »
Hatifattners as in the massed ranks of dead eyed electric sausages from the Moomins?

They scared the bejaysis out of me when I was little.  :'(

The very same. Personally I have always ranked Mårran (or "The Groke" as you probably know her) as my personal childhood equivalent of the Great Chtulu. She monopolized on holding me in terror till I made my aquaintances with Rascar Capac.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 09:45:20 PM by hammershield »