Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:13:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: EotD: house rules  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
EotD: house rules
« on: July 23, 2013, 09:20:05 AM »
Been thinking about house ruling a few things for Empire of the Dead, and thought that it would be interesting to see if other people have house ruled some of the rules.

I'm of the opinion that the target the nearest rule can be misused quite a bit. Furthermore I don't think it changes anything from the rules except making them even more easy.

Bravado rules. I'm fine with the Bravado check being made after losing 50% of your models, however if you succeed I don't think you should roll another check until you have lost another model. Of course if you fail you continue to roll until you get a success.

What do you guys think and have you changed any of the rules when you play?

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
Re: EotD: house rules
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 11:37:48 AM »
One of the only things I've found doesn't work is the rules for "Captured" when it comes to Captured Animals. A Wolf under the sway of a Lycaon simply isn't going to change allegiance that easily. So, I wrote up some simple rules to deal with such occurrences.

If you try and keep a wild Animal (such as a Wolf) it's going to keep trying to get away - then you run risk of it either escaping, or injuring one of your Faction (as it would HAVE to be guarded). Using the Bravado Roll/Joining the Faction ruling - simply doesn't make any sense.

What I suggest is a simple Table - After the initial Capture, and after each game roll on the table - In addition to this, should the Faction who captured the Animal wants to keep it, it costs 3 Shillings to pay for the Animals Upkeep between games (food, upkeep of the cage, etc).

I like the Bravado idea.

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 02:59:22 AM »
The Bravado rules have an important purpose, to keep you from crippling your gang in a campaign. The game is geared to long term play with a particular gang. So rolling a Bravado Check each turn after losing 50% ensures that don't cripple your gang in the heat of the moment. I don't think they should be changed.

I wouldn't make the other change either.

Offline muncehead

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 06:15:10 AM »
I am mulling over a card activation system for EotD. Not sure of the specifics yet but something along the lines of each figure has a card (heroes may get 2 one of which may be used to activate an friendly figure in shouting range instead), all cards get turned each turn so every figure activates (or maybe with an 'turn ends' card thrown in).

Purely based on the system I enjoy playing with rules from Too Fat Lardies, but it would allow me to play EotD solo too.
Have fun storming the castle! ...and that really isn't me you know...

Gothic Project: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=55943.0 - although on pause atm as too much RL stuff getting in the way.

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 07:24:05 AM »
The Bravado rules have an important purpose, to keep you from crippling your gang in a campaign. The game is geared to long term play with a particular gang. So rolling a Bravado Check each turn after losing 50% ensures that don't cripple your gang in the heat of the moment. I don't think they should be changed.

I wouldn't make the other change either.
I won't remove the Bravado roll, I simply want to adjust it a bit so that once you loose 50% of your gang you roll the Bravado check as normal. If you succeed you don't have to roll it again until you loose another model. If you fail you have to roll every turn until you succeed.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 05:10:51 PM »
I won't remove the Bravado roll, I simply want to adjust it a bit so that once you loose 50% of your gang you roll the Bravado check as normal. If you succeed you don't have to roll it again until you loose another model. If you fail you have to roll every turn until you succeed.

Yes I got that but lets say you make your check and then don't have to roll for the remainder of the battle and you win the battle, but you lose another 25% in the process did you really win? You just kicked yourself to the bottom of the campaign pool but winning a single battle doesn't justify that level of casualties. If you do this you find that gangs will suffer terribly and not last long in a campaign.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 05:33:59 PM »
To me you should roll every turn as the sound of gunshots and the clash of weapons continues to unnerve the side that has gone below 50%