Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:56:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690553
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Italian Wars  (Read 5008 times)

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
Italian Wars
« on: July 24, 2013, 01:29:45 PM »
Some of the fellas seem intent on doing the Italian Wars in 28mm (another day another project)  :)

Me, i'm not as struck on the idea as i have ECW (and WotR) armies so i'm sorted on the Pikey goodness front.

However, curiosity got the better of me and i starting searching Italian Wars (as you do) and came across the Franco/Ottoman alliance and the invasion of southern Italy in 1537

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-Ottoman_alliance#Joint_campaign_of_1537

One thing leads to another and before i know it i'm looking at TAG Ottoman figures

Go on, enlighten me on the Ottomans in this period   ;)

Thanks

James

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:24:15 AM by H.M.Stanley »
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
Re: Italian Wars & Ottomans
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 03:20:41 PM »
Where to start...?

What do you want to know? Anything in particular, theme or whatnot, or just anything?

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 03:36:07 PM »
Where to start...?

What do you want to know? Anything in particular, theme or whatnot, or just anything?

Ahh - a good point well made.

I have in mind a themed Ottoman army in 1537 using the Pike and Shotte rules. As such, i'm looking for information on a typical composition of an army (3 - 4 Divisions) and how they're armed.

Information on figure ranges also appreciated.

Thanks

James

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 04:03:46 PM »
Oooh, difficult. Go with Janissaries as your main infantry force. No pikes, so they have to be behind barriers or permanent fortifications to stand up to cavalry. Arquebus and side-arms. Would be several ranks deep to keep up a continual fire. Essentially there to back up the horse and conduct sieges.

Spahis are your main cavalry. Feudal horse. High quality. Can skirmish and also fight in close order, but will evade formed European heavy cavalry if charged. Akinjis are irregular raiding horse. Probably really only useful for skirmishing and mopping up.

Dellis are later period - 1600's.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 04:18:16 PM »
Leaving aside the debate on how credible the Ottomans actually 'invading' Italy as a conquest was, most operations in the Mediterranean were also supported by 'corsairs' and irregulars from North Africa. They're more prominently discussed in relation to the Siege of Malta in 1565, but were very active throughout the C16th. Accounts of the Ottomans overwintering in Toulon in 1543 make quite some mention, but of course there is the question of how reliable such accounts are too!

If you're putting a force together for attacks, raids or even the joint Franco-Ottoman operations I'd certainly look at having a contingent at least of corsair-type troops. Even if you don't use them, they're rather useful generics who can slot into quite a long Ottoman period, so useful figures to have!

Redoubt do a good range of 28mm Ottomans, including North African 'marines' but of course there is a size compatability issue with the Redoubt figures and other ranges.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 04:34:06 PM »
Thanks Gents - i'll have a ponder

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 04:44:36 PM »
I'll have a root through my books later on, or tomorrow... one of those periods I've read all sorts about but never actually got to the stage of buying figures for, but I can dig out more info certainly.

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 10:20:44 PM »
I am doing something similar though a little earlier, have a look at the medieval board and my battle for the Morea posts .I am mixing Redoubt figures with other manufacturers and think they look ok.

Looking forward to seeing you project come together,

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 06:07:48 AM »
I went the 15mm way with these, and bought a couple of small armies from Venexia - which quite sadly appear to have gone out of business.Pity, their models are brilliant.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 08:38:12 AM »
I am doing something similar though a little earlier, have a look at the medieval board and my battle for the Morea posts .I am mixing Redoubt figures with other manufacturers and think they look ok.

Looking forward to seeing you project come together,

Thanks for that. Using Redoubt makes things a little lighter on the wallet. How to you rate the figures themselves, other than their actual size?

Or would you just stop at TAG figures?

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 11:00:07 PM »
I would go for both although the Redoubt Azabs aren't much to my liking, old Glory also do some which are ok and Essex have a neat range.
Heres a pic of Essex Old Glory and Redoubt together

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Italian Wars (let us begin again - City States/Florence)
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 09:23:53 AM »
They do look well together ...

However, against my better judgement  lol, i appear to have talked myself into doing a IW City State army themed on Florence (as i've recently been and wearing her colours [a tie] at the moment) and the De Medichi family

Again, talk to me please about reading material, figures and army composition for Pike and Shotte

Cheers

James

Online traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Italian Wars
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 09:44:28 AM »

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 10:27:23 AM »
Two great threads - thank you.

I can see my Percy themed WotR army [EDIT: NOT] forming the core of an new IW project looking at all those Front Rank figures on your photos  ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 02:09:55 PM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 02:08:34 PM »
After much faffing on my part, the War of the League of Cognac it is for me with Florentines ... and TAG figures