Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:14:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Need some help with Victorian architecture  (Read 12564 times)

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Need some help with Victorian architecture
« on: May 08, 2008, 03:35:11 PM »
As some of you know I'm working on some resin pieces to represent Victorian London. I'm working on a set of row or terraced houses for the Spitalfields/Whitechapel area. Something evocative of the Ripper crime stories.

The thing that I can't seem to find much in the way of pictures of is the back side of these buildings. Were they just simple rectangles or was there a wing sticking out perpendicular. A lead on floorplans would be very helpful too. Up to this point all my research has been on the web. It looks like a trip to the stacks is warranted.

Thanks,

Mike

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
Re: Need some help with Victorian architecture
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 05:09:34 PM »
This might help. The second picture down is how a terrace would have looked from the front around the 1890's but these, believe it or not, are the upper end of working class dwellings:

http://www.brickfields.org.uk/text/victorian-homes.html

Here's another pic for you, these would have been built around the 1840's and 1850's and as you can see were still standing around the 1930's:

http://www.ideal-homes.org.uk/lewisham/lee/fludyer-street-1930.htm

Here's a pic of the rear of another terrace but these are back to backs:

http://www.jamd.com/search?assettype=g&assetid=3165395&text=east+end+terrace

Also this pic shows you some more terrace rears:

http://www.ferdinando.org.uk/images/1872%20london%20rail.jpg

Also search for Booth's London Poverty Maps on the net. He was a chap who mapped London (including the East End) in the late 19th century to demonstrate the state of the poor. His maps will show you that many houses would have been back to back or if anything shared a yard. Here's an example here:

http://www.bl.uk/learning/artimages/maphist/wealth/boothextract/boothslondonpovertymap.html 

It might be worth checking Google Images for East End slums and Victorian East End etc.....

TC 

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 09:18:37 PM by Thunderchicken »
Don't!

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 01:33:25 AM »
Thanks TC. That shot of the Back to backs is just the kind of thing I needed. Would I be right in assuming that the sheds against the back fence would be the bog house?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 09:45:37 AM »
Thanks TC. That shot of the Back to backs is just the kind of thing I needed. Would I be right in assuming that the sheds against the back fence would be the bog house?

Most definately the Crapper lol
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 10:35:08 AM »

Oh yes. Probably quite fragrant in the hot summer too.  ;) 

Offline Jules

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 08:52:54 AM »
The rear part of the house is the tenement on larger houses it would hold the kitchen and servant quarters on smaller houses it would just be a single storey out house or kitchen.  Mine has a tenement and has a second room above always with slopped roofs. Toilets would be in a privy at the end of the garden.  The picture of back to back houses with yards is indication of the lower social standing of the housing. Larger houses actually had gardens as well and probably had cellars. The pattern of such houses is two beds up living room dinning room down and then the kitchen in the tenement.