Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:31:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 610
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: House of Oscarus...humble beginnings. (Pontus fight, last page!)  (Read 19441 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
UPDATE: I re-arranged my photobucket account this evening, so I decided to re-post all of the images here in one post.  These are a mix of Wargames Foundy and Brigade Games miniatures - some with plastic scutum from Warlord Games Romans.  Currently using these fellas to play-test Blood on the Sands by the venerable Mr. Furt.

The project started off with a small pack of Gladiators my buddy had given me as a birthday gift some while ago...they had sat neglected for some time.

Wargames Foundry Lacquerius.  Not my favorite model, spear is from a Mantic Games Skeleton regiment.

Wargames Foundry Retiarius.  Trident a mix of various bits.

Wargames Foundry Myrmillo. (Note: Wargames Foundry are bit on/off with various details - this miniature is missing a few bits of kit for his class...)

Wargames Foundry Provocator.  This model has a small chest piece of bronze made from a random bit of plastic.  He may have been a different class to start with.

Wargames Foundry Thraex.  This miniature features a head swap from another model in the blister I had.

Brigade Games Hoplomachus.  This miniature has a spear from Mantic Games, and has a short sword/dagger added to his shield hand.

Brigade Games Thraex.  This model needs some touching up, the anti-shine really greyed up the paint job.

Brigade Games Myrmillo.  This model had some casting issues, but generally came out okay.  Not my favorite pose.

Brigade Games Secutor.  Lovely model.  It's a rather dynamic pose...maybe leaning a bit too much.

Brigade Games Provocator.  Lovely model.

Wargames Foundry Myrmillo.  A lovely Scaeva (Left Handed) gladiator.  Plastic shield from Warlord Games.

Wargames Foundry Secutor.  A lovely model - a bit tall compared to every other Gladiator I have though.  Plastic scutum from Warlord Games.

Wargames Foundry Provocator.  Lovely model - an annoying pose though (Not happy I have two matching poses for the same class!) Plastic scutum from Warlord Games.

Wargames Factory Hoplomachus (modified from a Thraex).  Added a spear and dagger to the shield hand.  Similar equipment made this an easy conversion.  I desperately wanted another Hoplomachus.

Some markers I made up (some are being re-painted this evening actually).  Some tokens for lost and broken weapons.  Also some pali (wooden training posts).  This adds a small amount of "terrain" to a normal game.

Some group shots taken at various times of the current House of Oscarus' gladiator school. Will likely add some more Brigade Games additional sets.  I prefer the Wargames Foundry quality (great sculpting, excellent crisp details) but the Brigade Games are much more accurate.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 04:52:21 AM by Elbows »
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Ludus Oscarius...humble beginnings.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 01:05:47 PM »
They look good to me, sir.
 8)

I could do with the inspiration as well, as I should be doing some myself soon, but these will Gladiators for the Partially-Sighted, being 40mm and all that.
 ;)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 02:59:42 PM »
I think they look good too! Don't be too humble!

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 07:07:19 PM »
They look great, the Murmillo turned out fine with a proper shield.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 07:55:05 PM »
I'm in my final weeks for a few college courses and research papers, so I'm taking a break from any forms of writing/planning etc.  The gladiators are partly due to a buddy of mine visiting town in a few weeks.  I have Paul Hicks gladiators on the way and wanted 5-10 minis to get some testing in. 

Also, needed a temporary break from writing up my Old West rules set (badly timed with the college courses it turns out...).  These are great fun to paint, and I love that I'll only need 20-30 minis max.  Love smaller scale projects.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 08:37:57 PM »
Lovely stuff, like the Murmillo, have to paint mine, too.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 08:51:50 PM »
I'm pretty happy with the figures...I dislike the Retiarius as I don't care much for the model and the paint I used looked much more brown under my painting light...turns out its pretty dark-red...but I'm too lazy to repaint him, so I'll assume he's just got a weird skin tone.  My favourite is probably the Thraex and then the Myrmillo.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 08:56:10 PM »
Against my better judgement here are some close-ups where the lack of brush skill really shows up...but it does show off some of the colours and other angles.

IMAGES MOVED TO FIRST POST
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 07:48:35 AM by Elbows »

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Re: House of Oscarus...humble beginnings.
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 12:38:09 AM »
The House of Oscarus is off to a great start. They are looking really good.  :)

I particularly like the Thraex. I have that Foundry figure but with a different helm - I like yours better.

Is his shield a custom one?

Also like the facing markers, they are effective
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 01:37:30 AM »
Yep, the Thraex came with a circular shield...I had no square parmas, so I chopped up a plastic WF roman shield I had laying around.  It's not entirely accurate but far better than the circular option.  I really didn't like the open faced helmet, so when I realized I wasn't going to use the kneeling guy (top guy, middle row in the picture below) the clippers came out.  The end result is actually my favourite of the bunch.  lol  No griffin on the helmet, but I love the way he looks.  I was hesitant about the facing markers, but they turned out well, and not "too" obnoxious.

IMAGES MOVED TO FIRST POST
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 07:48:48 AM by Elbows »

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 01:58:13 AM »
Wow - he came out really well in that case.  :o

I couldn't tell that was a custom - thinking I must have missed that particular Foundry Thraex. I like him a lot too.

His parma looks spot on.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 02:02:01 AM »
Having no access to a nice little saw you can tall if you look at the back of his neck, there is a small gap, but its not table-noticeable.  Yeah, the Retiarius and Laquearius have plastic spears and tridents from kits too, and the Provocator has a fake chest piece which is a random piece of armour I found on a sprue of Mantic skeletons.  I had nothing else which was sized appropriately, so I just glue it to his chest (it's minus straps...) but it's enough for me to pretend he's a provocator.

PS: Yes, both the spear and trident are about 1' or so too long for the tools...but...I had already glued and painted them before I made the realization. 

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 02:16:50 AM »

PS: Yes, both the spear and trident are about 1' or so too long for the tools...but...I had already glued and painted them before I made the realization. 

Not too long at all. Where is the trident from?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 02:20:33 AM »
The trident is the shaft of a Mantic skeleton spear (they come with large, nicely sculpted "thick" spears -I hate spindly breaky ones!) with the trident tip from a small imp in a box of Ex Illis miniatures I picked up a while ago.  There are four little imps on a sprue and it happens one of them has a decent trident (the others have two pronged forks which would probably look okay if I did another retiarius).

^These fellas.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 07:28:59 AM »
good work that man
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"