Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:12:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warmachine Cryx Kraken (in War of the Worlds style)  (Read 6094 times)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: Warmachine Cryx Kraken (in War of the Worlds style)
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2013, 07:48:01 AM »
Hi Fuzzy,

Cheers! It was actually quite simple to do, but you need an airbrush with a fine needle. I have a Iwata HP-BH...not cheap, but works well.
1. I first sprayed the OSL areas with a medium green tone (VMC Park Green Flat). You don't really need to be careful here as the overspray actually gives the OSL effect.
2. Mixed some Vallejo Model Air white with the Park Green Flat and sprayed in the first part of the flow. With the grills, try to keep the spray as much inside the grill. Not too much of a problem is this is slightly sloppy.
3. Use pure Vallejo Model Air White and spray the brightest spots.
4. Take yellow ink and spray over the green and white. The white makes sure you get REALLY BRIGHT yellow. This works much better than spraying with yellow paint.
5. Take some green ink and spray the shadow in the lower parts of the bigger pieces. This ensures you get good contrast.

For the purple areas I did a similar thing. First spray everything a very light purple (purple ink + white). Then use purple ink to add the darker tones, leaving the glowy parts whitish.
I hope to do your Martian Walker too someday with similar techniques :). It's still one of my favorite Martian Walkers and I MUST paint it someday.

@Dave: you're on 8)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: Warmachine Cryx Kraken (in War of the Worlds style)
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2013, 11:26:44 AM »
Hi Fuzzy,

Cheers! It was actually quite simple to do, but you need an airbrush with a fine needle. I have a Iwata HP-BH...not cheap, but works well.
1. I first sprayed the OSL areas with a medium green tone (VMC Park Green Flat). You don't really need to be careful here as the overspray actually gives the OSL effect.
2. Mixed some Vallejo Model Air white with the Park Green Flat and sprayed in the first part of the flow. With the grills, try to keep the spray as much inside the grill. Not too much of a problem is this is slightly sloppy.
3. Use pure Vallejo Model Air White and spray the brightest spots.
4. Take yellow ink and spray over the green and white. The white makes sure you get REALLY BRIGHT yellow. This works much better than spraying with yellow paint.
5. Take some green ink and spray the shadow in the lower parts of the bigger pieces. This ensures you get good contrast.

For the purple areas I did a similar thing. First spray everything a very light purple (purple ink + white). Then use purple ink to add the darker tones, leaving the glowy parts whitish.
I hope to do your Martian Walker too someday with similar techniques :). It's still one of my favorite Martian Walkers and I MUST paint it someday.

@Dave: you're on 8)

THANKS for the tips Marijn!  :D