Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:19:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686458
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Derring-Do of Dirk Drake and his Daredevils! - Pulp Alley AAR  (Read 3296 times)

Offline BlackSmoke

• Librarian
    • The Colour of War

Played my first game of Pulp Alley tonight and it was cracking fun! We played a basic Smash & Grab scenario with 3 leagues and all 3 players really enjoyed it. The rules are so straightforward and easy to pick up, but there's tons of tactical nuance and decisions to be made. Simply one of the best value for money skirmish games I've ever had the pleasure to come across! Highly recommended!

But you all knew that already, didn't you? The AAR for our game is over on my blog - http://colourofwar.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/dirk-drake-and-case-of-stygian-idol.html. Hope you enjoy it half as much as I enjoyed playing the game!

Prof. Dinglebat. Phd.

Re: The Derring-Do of Dirk Drake and his Daredevils! - Pulp Alley AAR
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 12:09:30 AM »
Loved it. Especially the part where the poor woman caught her heel in the pavement and went belly up. Good show.

Just one 'small item' if I may draw it to your attention, do get the players to stand aside when taking the pics as the crutch shot in pic 8 is a bit disconcerting. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA  lol  lol  lol
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:39:02 AM by Prof. Dinglebat. Phd. »

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 12:26:15 AM »
Why does Lavinia remind me of Wilhelmina Scott in "The Temple of Doom"?  lol
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 02:55:41 AM »
Really nice AAR. Those are some really cool cars and trucks! :-* We've been meaning to get some more ourselves. Where did you get yours from?

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 08:44:45 AM »
Looks like you had a great time! A really interesting scenario, thanks for the report. Are your buildings scratch-built? How did you do the railings outside the buildings?

Offline BlackSmoke

• Librarian
    • The Colour of War
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 09:40:48 AM »
Just one 'small item' if I may draw it to your attention, do get the players to stand aside when taking the pics as the crutch shot in pic 8 is a bit disconcerting. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA  lol  lol  lol

LOL! That's George and I probably have a few shots on my blog where I caught him from that angle. I like to think he's the mysterious villain of the blog where his face is never revealed! :)

Those are some really cool cars and trucks! Love We've been meaning to get some more ourselves. Where did you get yours from?

All the figures and vehicles are George's. I'll ask him where he got them.

Are your buildings scratch-built? How did you do the railings outside the buildings?

All the terrain is the club's so I'm not sure where it came from. A lot of it looks like laser cut MDF kits, though. It was mostly done for some Empire of the Dead demo games that the club ran at the various Scottish shows last year.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 08:48:24 AM »
A quote for BlackSmoke's blog...

I...Love...This...Game! Pulp Alley has so many interesting facets, from the Fortune Deck to the Plot Points and the constantly switching initiative. Normally I would go into some detail about the mechanics, but I don't actually have to! You can download the quickstart rules here! I thoroughly recommend that you check them out and support the authors as they are just a small, independent father and daughter team, and I really think that our hobby is better off for these kind of innovative games developers. Any visitor to the Lead Adventure Forum or TMP will find that they are very active in supporting the community and showing off their excellent game. The main rules are only $10 for the PDF and are pretty much all you need as you can print off the fortune deck. For such a cheap entry price I can't recommend them enough! If you're looking for an extremely strong narrative game that is incredibly easy to pick up (we hardly referred to the rules) but has masses of tactical nuance, you can't go far wrong with Pulp Alley.

Thanks so much for the kind comments. It is really encouraging to see folks playing Pulp Alley and having a great time.

Your blog is outstanding and the AAR was a real joy to read through. I really liked the story you created and I could tell you got what we we’re going for.

I hope you share some more of your games!

THANKS!

Offline BlackSmoke

• Librarian
    • The Colour of War
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 05:03:04 PM »
All praise is well deserved. You have created a rare thing in gaming - a ruleset which needs no adjustments but can be applied to so much. I already have plans for Mr Vampire and stuff like Predator along with the 30s style pulp. The possibilities are endless!

Oh, and thanks for the kind words about the blog!

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 09:49:06 AM »
Great stuff. I really like your park especially the railings and hedges.
Cheers,
IanKH
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 06:56:42 PM »
Great stuff. I really like your park especially the railings and hedges.
Cheers,
IanKH

Indeed! I just got to talk Mila into letting me get some buildings like those!  lol lol

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 08:49:16 AM »
Excellent report

and yes,  there is some lovely stuff on your blog - I ejoyed browsing through it
No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline BlackSmoke

• Librarian
    • The Colour of War
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 10:01:02 AM »
George tells me that the cars are LLEDO diecasts. I honestly can't say where the park came from as it is the club's scenery, but it really does look the part.

And thanks again for the nice comments about the blog. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 11:48:09 PM »
Thanks for answering the question. :) I'd like to see what the rosters for the leagues look like. Could you post them up?