Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:01:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690934
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 704
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish  (Read 45985 times)

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish
« on: July 31, 2013, 09:06:01 AM »
Some news from Richard over at Otherworld Miniatures that you may find of interest:

Otherworld Miniatures will be publishing a new set of fantasy skirmish rules to support their range of classic gaming miniatures later this year.

Written by Karl Perrotton and using the Crooked Dice Action Engine mechanics, the Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish rules will capture the feel and fun of the classic role-playing games in a fast and frenetic skirmish format.

Richard Scott from Otherworld Miniatures says, "We have wanted a good set of rules to complement our miniatures range for a long while. We love how the Action Engine plays, so partnering with Karl on developing and adapting the system for us was an obvious choice".

While unashamedly a skirmish rule set, the RPG-lite nature of Action Engine rules means it also includes elements in homage to the classic dungeon bash. These include traps, treasure hunting, henchmen, magic and a huge number of profiles for you to build and tailor your factions - whether it’s a tribe of Pig-faced Orcs, a Drow patrol or a classic adventuring party.

Karl Perrotton of Crooked Dice Game Design Studio says, “After the release of 7th Voyage, Richard suggested adapting the rules for old school dungeon crawling. I've been a fan of Otherworld Miniatures for years, and it seemed like a great opportunity to work together on a shared passion.”

Play-testing is already underway and design and production will be happening over the summer, with release planned in late 2013.

Production of the hardback rulebook will be funded by a crowd-funding campaign which will also include some great offers on Otherworld Miniatures. You can track progress via the Otherworld Miniatures forum.

http://z9.invisionfree.com/Otherworld_Minis/index.php?showforum=21
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 11:53:24 AM »
Oo, that sounds very exciting. Keeping an eye on this one.  :D
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 12:25:53 PM »
Def watching this. Big fan of Otherworlds stuff.

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 12:32:45 PM »
I look forward to this! I have just resumed my Otherworld project!

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 04:47:47 PM »
I look forward to this! I have just resumed my Otherworld project!

You'll be wanting some Bones to go with that then David ;)

I like the 7TV system (after you demo'd it to me Karl :)), although the activation system leaves me little cold.  Too easy to have figures standing around doing nothing after a couple of casualties.  Easily fixed though, and a nicely cinematic set of rules.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 04:49:42 PM by Momotaro »

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 05:43:32 PM »
I'm a big fan of Crooked Dice and D&D stuff so this can only be good for me! I'm looking forward already!

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 06:35:35 PM »
Called "7th Level" or "7HTK" (Hits to Kill)?

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 07:37:48 PM »
You'll be wanting some Bones to go with that then David ;)

They'll fit right in :D

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 09:00:46 PM »
Called "7th Level" or "7HTK" (Hits to Kill)?

7th Level was the working title! But as it will be published by Otherworld, using their name seemed the right fit :)

Thanks for all the kind comments too!

Offline Paleskin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 10:20:40 PM »
Interested to see how they turn out,sounds very intriguing!

Hardback book,costly?? ???

Crowd funded..........boo hiss! ;)

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 10:29:12 PM »
I'm alright with the crowdfunding :) Otherworld did come through with their first. And since Karl is one hell of a rule writer, I guess the delays will be with the printers and that whole outsourcing part.

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 11:06:09 PM »
I'm alright with the crowdfunding :) Otherworld did come through with their first. And since Karl is one hell of a rule writer, I guess the delays will be with the printers and that whole outsourcing part.

Aww thank you, but can't take all the credit. We'll very likely be using the same printers as I use on the CD rulebooks. A very reliable supplier I've used since we started. Plus print production is all part of the day job, so I'm confident they'll what we get what we need, when we need it :)

We have discussed ensuring that the product is ready to print before launch - for example a PDF would be available for immeadiate download if you pledged. Still, early days, but those are the fair, square and timely principles are what we're working to.

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 11:20:28 PM »
Good to know! I do look forward to it, and really hope for a classic "buy this and get these sort of bundles I can't refuse lol

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 07:51:07 PM »
 I love the Otherworld miniatures so a set of skirmish rules for them (also the fact that it uses Action Engine) is great news.

Wonder when this kickstarter will go live?

Offline leegwonfu

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 11:33:10 PM »

Not to ruffle any feathers, but while the rules sound intriguing to me, I will never support another Otherworld crowdfunder. After a ridiculously (and overly) long period of time, I still have not received even my first shipment of miniatures from their previous crowdfunder. I would advise anyone to be extremely wary of supporting their next one, unless they don't mind waiting a very long time for the actual product.

Just a heads-up, and not reflected on anything other than Otherworld delivering the goods, so to speak.