Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:45:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SCW Spanish Foreign Legion  (Read 7017 times)

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: SCW Spanish Foreign Legion
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 08:52:08 AM »
We got about half way through the campaign before ... something else shiny came along. Its great fun
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 02:47:41 AM »
The Scenario book is really good value. It provides a nice structured approach to collecting and using your forces and as most forces are similar from game to game you can get the whole campaign up and running once you hit the relatively low critical mass of figures...typically only 30-40 figures plus support troops.

We intend substituting a few troops in for game play variation eg changing some Legion for Moroccans, etc. A very doable campaign method that does not require a huge commitment to get into. Recommended.

I'm not sure if many are aware also, but our humble moderator (Arlequin) has a superb blog on the SCW....it really is a 'go to' site for the period.

His latest post on SCW Infantry organisation is excellent. Anyone contemplating doing this period is well advised to troll through all the posts to get up to speed and enthused!!

http://myscw.blogspot.co.uk/

Cheers

Happy Wanderer

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 11:23:23 AM »
Thanks for the plug... I'm not one to blow my own corneta generally, so it's always good when someone likes what you do and spreads the word. 
:)

I also thought the Iron Ivan's Atacar es Vencer! was quite good too. It got the ball rolling for me and led on to finding out more about the first part of the war, which has become for me the most fascinating part... it's not like they all woke up on 18th July and decided "we'll have a civil war, reds over on the left, blues on the right and we'll flip a coin to see who gets Francisco...".

Excellent looking game btw... I wanted to comment previously, but was stuck for something to say other than 'Wow!'  ;)

former user

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 02:11:45 PM »
I'm not one to blow my own corneta generally

at least try whistling a bit  ;)
I never realized how one can get lost for a few hours in reading a blog....
A lot of interesting stuff there, I downloaded the BA list, THX

btw did I already mention that the Tercio impressing?

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 03:05:04 PM »
at least try whistling a bit  ;)
I never realized how one can get lost for a few hours in reading a blog....
A lot of interesting stuff there, I downloaded the BA list, THX

Thanks, unless you mean you feel asleep for a time.  ;)

To be honest I was going to complete all of the pre-war content first, before mentioning anything, but HW has publicly 'outed me' now.
lol

The Bolt Action content needs revising and tidying up to be honest, as there are a few details which have turned out to be quite wrong after more recent research. Nothing major to be honest, but I do like to get it looking right.

Anyway... enough about me, it's HW's thread.  :)

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 04:08:28 PM »
Well, if you're out there you will get outed!!!  :D

The thread is off course a free for all - anything that sparks discussion is fair game.

...chat away  ;)

Cheers

Happy W
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:30:07 AM by Happy Wanderer »

former user

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 04:24:14 PM »
The thread is off course a free for all - anything that sparks discussion is fair game.

2nd

no seriously, it is still about the topic, and I like the WIP approach of discussing it. Better than argueing about who is right and who is not while gaming...

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 08:37:53 PM »
I'm always happy for a discussion on the SCW, but it would be impolite to assume that way of thinking is always shared... I didn't anticipate that it would be the case on this occasion, but y'know it's good to get approval first.

I've mellowed a great deal in my not so old age and having been married I'm quite familiar with the concept of being wrong, so I tend not to argue as much as I would have years ago.

;)

We also have quite a number of modest experts in their own right who use this forum, but don't appear to comment as much as they used to. Without embarrassing them by naming names, they have all collectively fostered my own interest in the SCW over time. Getting a good discussion thread going and encouraging people to participate, would please me immensely...

:)

Offline paul c

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 08:47:21 PM »
Excellent thread and lovely photos; this is keeping my desire to get into SCW gaming bubbling away. Probably 15mm I think.
"For we went, changing our country more often than our shoes.
In the class war, despairing
When there was only injustice and no resistance." B. Brecht

former user

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 09:48:41 PM »
Getting a good discussion thread going and encouraging people to participate, would please me immensely...

this