Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:20:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Salonika  (Read 6106 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Salonika
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 09:19:31 AM »
Have to point out that "Under the Devil's Eye" is about the British experience in Salonika. It is not an overall history of the campaign. Anyone buying it hoping to find out what the French, Greeks and others were up to will be somewhat disappointed, as they are only mentioned in passing.

It's a bit annoying, but it does clearly state this on the cover.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 10:06:41 AM »
Thanks Poly,

I did read that this was the case.

Many thanks again  8)
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Caporal Le Clou

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 02:54:52 PM »
Another interesting unit in use for Salonika [Thessaloniki] is the brigade games russian shock troops, russians in adrian helmet.

Many-many years ago I saw a photo in a history magazine showing this unit. Reading more books covering some WW1 or RCW I never saw another photo with a Russian unit in adrian helmets bearing the imperial Russian eagle. I don't know their contribution however.

From you description, they are probably troops of the Russian Expeditionary Force that was detached to the french army as part of a trade deal between France and Russia (russian manpower against french equipment). The troops were transported and equipped by France, hence the adrian helmets with the imperial eagle. Made up of poorly trained and unexperienced troops the Special Russian Brigades were used as normal line infantry and were not really considered as shock troops by the french high command.
Out of the eight Special Russian Brigades initially planned only four were formed :
- the 2nd and 4th brigades were sent to Salonika where they served on the front line of the French sector until they were disbanded during the russian revolution. 
- the 1st and 3rd brigades were sent in France where they saw action during the Chemin de Dames offensive in 1917 and the second battle of the Marne in 1918.

Offline Caporal Le Clou

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 03:40:29 PM »

There are actually Bulgarian minis available (albeit for a Balkan Wars range) from Tiger Miniatures. To my, admittedly untrained eye, they look identical to the colour plate of the Bulgar soldier (at the 1918 battle of Doiran) in the Osprey.

They look ok for me too. Of course, a perfectionist could always swap their heads, as the Bulgarian front line troops were equipped with German helmets.   

Now we need only: a couple of Greeks in adrian helmet

Looks like another head swap job. I’ve never seen a Greek adrian helmet so I don’t know what the front plate looks like, but perhaps that makes no difference at this scale. 

few exotic french colonials

Zouaves, legionnaires, chasseurs d’afrique, Senegalese tirailleurs, marsoins (naval troops),… and some Chasseurs Alpins.

Hope that Tiger miniatures will produce in short time some more troop types.

I see they now make irregular/partisan Bulgarians, which could be used for the comitadj (Macedonian partisans serving the central powers) and even the andartes (Greek (i.e. Venizlios) partisans serving the allies). 

I've enough figures to do the later part of the war, but not the early part. That is French, British (Slouch hat) Germans and Turks.

If your French are painted in mustard kaki then they’ll be ok for the early part too. By the time the French reached Salonika / Serbia they were already equipped with the adrian helmet.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 03:49:41 PM »
Quote from: Caporal Le Clou
They look ok for me too. Of course, a perfectionist could always swap their heads, as the Bulgarian front line troops were equipped with German helmets.   

Is that right? I had heard so somewhere, but nothing in the Osprey mentions this as far as I can remember. The chap pictured is said to be a representation of a Bulgar soldier at the 1918 battle of Doiran. Just goes to show you have to be careful basing your painting plans on a single Osprey colour plate.

Still, head-swapping some Jerry tin hats on some of them might be fun, and add a little variety. Maybe I'll get some nice cheap Old Glory Germans just for that purpose.

(Of course, for 1915 and at least part of 1916 they wouldn't have them anyway.)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 11:20:32 PM »

I've enough figures to do the later part of the war, but not the early part. That is French, British (Slouch hat) Germans and Turks.

If your French are painted in mustard kaki then they’ll be ok for the early part too. By the time the French reached Salonika / Serbia they were already equipped with the adrian helmet. [/quote]

Actually, my Brigade Games WW1 French are wearing adrian helmets and wearing horizon blue uniforms. I did see a photograph of a French soldier dressed in horizon blue uniform and wearing kepi.

Also the Brigade Games US Army coloured troops in adrian helmet and US uniforms could be used for later Serbians etc as they were supplied with US material.

Just a thought!

« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 11:24:10 PM by Helen Bachaus »

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 01:31:54 AM »
That sounds like Capitaine Conan, by Bertrand Tavernier :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115822/

meow,
Matt

YES! That's it!  Thanks, Matt.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Caporal Le Clou

• Assistant
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 02:41:39 PM »
Quote from: Caporal Le Clou

Is that right? I had heard so somewhere, but nothing in the Osprey mentions this as far as I can remember. The chap pictured is said to be a representation of a Bulgar soldier at the 1918 battle of Doiran. Just goes to show you have to be careful basing your painting plans on a single Osprey colour plate.

I read about it in a book written by the French historian/novelist Pierre Miquel, but I haven't seen any photographic evidence. The Germans equipped the bulgarian army so it makes sense to assume they handed out some coal buckets as well as guns. I guess that in the field it was mix of both; helmets for when the s**t hit the fan and soft caps for the calmer periods.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 02:57:21 PM »
It seems that there was 2 types of Greek adrian helmet.

1.- typical french grenade
2.- the greek crest crowned

in the initial part after the reorganisation of the greek army by the French in 1917 some units wore a complete (horizon blue) uniform. So, it must be assumed that the helmet was a typical french. (My grandfather who served with the Archipelagos division had a horizon blue uniform. This survived until the 1960's and now I dont know)   

A little later it is obvious they have ordered  new helmets with the greek crest.

As I am not a helmet expert, I have to search more
argsilverson

Offline Caporal Le Clou

• Assistant
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 03:49:02 PM »

If your French are painted in mustard kaki then they’ll be ok for the early part too. By the time the French reached Salonika / Serbia they were already equipped with the adrian helmet. [/quote]

Actually, my Brigade Games WW1 French are wearing adrian helmets and wearing horizon blue uniforms. [/quote]

It's just that the French considered the operations in Salonika as a colonial front. So, in line with the GHQ's logic, the forces of l'armee d'orient were equipped with the colonial kaki uniforms. The mustard coloured tint was chosen to make them visually different from the british uniforms as the english top brass were apparently not very happy with the idea of french troops wearing kaki drab.   

I did see a photograph of a French soldier dressed in horizon blue uniform and wearing kepi.

It probably dates from late 1915 early 1916. The new horizon blue uniforms came into service roughly at the same time as the new adrian helmets. You know how good we frogs are when it comes to organisation, so it shouldn't surprise you that some units received their new uniforms well before their new headgear. Apparently the men prefered the kepi to the helmet as they thought it made them look more advantageous in the eyes of the dames... ;)

Also the Brigade Games US Army coloured troops in adrian helmet and US uniforms could be used for later Serbians etc as they were supplied with US material.

Morphological considerations put aside, why not. At least those figures don't have the cloth helmet covers... ;) However, I thought it was the brits and the frogs who provided the doughboys with all their hardware.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2008, 07:47:49 PM »
A little more research:

a third version of the Greek adrian helmet, no crest or insignia at all.

As soon as I find more I will advise

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2008, 12:07:10 AM »

If your French are painted in mustard kaki then they’ll be ok for the early part too. By the time the French reached Salonika / Serbia they were already equipped with the adrian helmet.

Actually, my Brigade Games WW1 French are wearing adrian helmets and wearing horizon blue uniforms. [/quote]

It's just that the French considered the operations in Salonika as a colonial front. So, in line with the GHQ's logic, the forces of l'armee d'orient were equipped with the colonial kaki uniforms. The mustard coloured tint was chosen to make them visually different from the british uniforms as the english top brass were apparently not very happy with the idea of french troops wearing kaki drab.   

I did see a photograph of a French soldier dressed in horizon blue uniform and wearing kepi.

It probably dates from late 1915 early 1916. The new horizon blue uniforms came into service roughly at the same time as the new adrian helmets. You know how good we frogs are when it comes to organisation, so it shouldn't surprise you that some units received their new uniforms well before their new headgear. Apparently the men prefered the kepi to the helmet as they thought it made them look more advantageous in the eyes of the dames... ;)

Morphological considerations put aside, why not. At least those figures don't have the cloth helmet covers... ;) However, I thought it was the brits and the frogs who provided the doughboys with all their hardware.

[/quote]

Yep you are most certainly on the button here. I must have been thinking of Romanians or someone else with being supplied US gear.
I'd have to have a close look at the Hellfighters from Brigade to see how close they could be used for the Serbians. They have French web equipment, French rifle and helmet, and some of the French trench raiders without greatcoat could also be considered!

Thanks again.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2008, 11:43:55 PM »
Continuing on with the Serbians and as someone has mentioned using the Shock Troops from Brigade Games as Serbians in Russian uniform. Actually any of the Brigade Games Russians would suffice as Serbians fighting at Salonkia. Mix in some Serbians from Battle-Honours and you have a lovely force.