Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:39:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: In Her Majesty's Name -- should I buy this?  (Read 8247 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: In Her Majesty's Name -- should I buy this?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 05:53:20 PM »
This is kinda sad...  :-[ but I don't even play games with anyone, I'm merely a painter and I bought it twice. One printed copy via Amazon and one PDF from Opresy's website. Personally, I think anything that is designed to be this open and customizable is worth the money. And while I am saving up for those excellent IHMN minis, I could use pretty much anything I have on the shelf. If my dog would play a game with me.

Well, if you came to the surface now and then, you might find so other players...

Sorry, couldn't help that.

I probably wouldn't have played save my best friend is so enamoured with the period, he infected me. Sometimes you have to grow your competition.

That said, Craig will tell you I'm a constant gadfly about his work; it is really quite compelling, isn't it?

Doug

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 06:46:39 PM »
The only odd thing I find about the rules is the reliance on armor ratings in an age when basically nobody wore armour... but you can largely ignore that or even outlaw the heavy armors if you like.

Major Maxxon,

Thanks for your short and kindly review. I cannot help but answer one of your points though regarding armour. Simply put this is Victorian Science Fiction, so any relationship to the real history of the period is both fleeting and unnecessary  lol

We believe that having a limited range of armours gives more tactical scope to the game but, just as the companies we laboured so hard on are merely examples  ::), one can regard the armour likewise.

As authors we encourage you to bend, fold, staple and mangle the rules to your heart's content. As long as you are enjoying them then we are most gratified.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 05:18:59 AM »
We believe that having a limited range of armours gives more tactical scope to the game but, just as the companies we laboured so hard on are merely examples  ::), one can regard the armour likewise.

Personally, I'm not so hot on the science fiction aspect and plan to use the rules more as a "nearly historical" game.

But to elaborate, most troops in the game have AV8 or 9 -- including most of the "heroes". Some "rabble" troops have 7 and basically only specific heroes have 10 or higher. The differences aren't huge and especially given that the typical armors are supposed to look like normal clothing (so no cries of "clearly he can't be wearing brigandine under that!"), you can largely rationalize armor ratings as simply combat expertize -- some people just are better at utilizing cover etc.

Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline steharan

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 06:28:48 AM »
 We haven't found armour values to be that much of a force multiplier to be honest.  admittedly we're playing it much in the same vein as Maxxon,  Victorian fiction gaming so low armour values
is the order of the day ( unless you're Akhenaton  :o)
Anyway back on topic -  No  don't buy it,  it's rubbish and will only lead to an addiction to sportsmanlike  gaming,  storytelling and expecting more out of other games systems.  And whatever you do don't read the profile builder section  otherwise you may never play warmachinehammer again! lol

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 11:18:15 AM »
Personally, I'm not so hot on the science fiction aspect and plan to use the rules more as a "nearly historical" game.

Most excellent.

But to elaborate, most troops in the game have AV8 or 9 -- including most of the "heroes". Some "rabble" troops have 7 and basically only specific heroes have 10 or higher. The differences aren't huge and especially given that the typical armors are supposed to look like normal clothing (so no cries of "clearly he can't be wearing brigandine under that!"), you can largely rationalize armor ratings as simply combat expertize -- some people just are better at utilizing cover etc.

Simply rename it 'Defence' or some-such, then it should work fine. I shall look forwards to tales of your adventures  :D

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 01:55:38 PM »
I really like this rules set. Craig's point about using AV as a defense value makes a lot of sense, and as was mentioned, doesn't break the game in the least. I think it's likely that the core rules set being used for a few years helped out a lot.

Amazon clearly marks the supplement as coming out in November, was that in question?

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 03:20:19 PM »
Since posting this, reading some reviews, buying the game, awaiting the delivery, and coming back here to read more reviews ... I mentioned it to several friends in the gaming group.

Their response was all excitement.  Appears it was something we had all been thinking and pondering, but I was the first to act.  We've grown bored with the rules heavy wargames that foster competitive mindsets, even amongst us friends, and leaves us all with a 'wargame headache' after we wrap up the duels.

Once it comes in the mail, I'll be sure to post my thoughts and let everyone know how the first game or three go ... I'm thinking of cobbling up some skink/kroot figures and making a nice lizard warriors army.  I'll call them "Venusians" or some such.  And paint them all blue.

Offline Kadzik

• Librarian
    • Kadzikowo
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 03:39:05 PM »
I'm just after reading rules. Simple, elegant mechanic. No hidden fireworks, but feel great and are easy to learn and show to others. Making own warbands is fantastic! IHMN seems perfect for casual, strong narrative games.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 04:50:02 PM »
Crickies, your group sounds perfect for this!  ;)

Once it comes in the mail, I'll be sure to post my thoughts and let everyone know how the first game or three go ... I'm thinking of cobbling up some skink/kroot figures and making a nice lizard warriors army.  I'll call them "Venusians" or some such.  And paint them all blue.

You will, of course, do as you will, and more power to you. Just wanted to point out many of us are of the mind set skink-Venus, kroot-Mars.

Doug

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 04:57:21 PM »
So conversions using skinks and kroot are Marvenusians?  Or Martians who tried to colonize Venus?

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 05:23:31 PM »
My skinks are exclusively Cytherean. Kroot I have used for both planets.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 09:46:24 PM »
Crickies, your group sounds perfect for this!  ;)

You will, of course, do as you will, and more power to you. Just wanted to point out many of us are of the mind set skink-Venus, kroot-Mars.

Doug

Stuff and nonsense! Kroot figures have been used as Parrotmen of Venus all over the world since about 1999  :D
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 12:48:50 AM »
I bought the rules and the Black Dragon Tong at the weekend.

When I got home and looked in my bits box suddenly all those random figures I'd bought made sense. I can make a Hunters Club without buying anything else plus I have extra Chinese figures from my B.O.B collection.

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 06:11:07 AM »
Well, we had our first games last night.

Haven't had the time to write a report, but I stuck the pics on my site:

http://www.smallcuts.net

Look in the photo section.

Anyway, while playing some questions arose:

The section on mystic fighting says each mystic power to be used in the fighting phase is either an attack itself, is in addition to an attack or foregoes the attack for some other effect...

...but the powers don't explicitly mention which is which.

So the mystic player's argument is that obviously dragon breath is intended to be used in addition to a regular attack, because otherwise it would be "useless" etc.

A slightly more convincing argument can be made for the "poisoned weapon" power, which really is useless for the mystic himself unless it can be topped off with with an actual attack... but isn't that what the other poison power is for? Argh!

Btw: The latest quick ref sheet is missing opponent speed as fighting modifier. Or has this been changed?

Which walker rules does the steam horse use, or is it just a faster horse? E.g. does it need to pay for facing changes?

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 10:41:43 AM »
I also ordered these rules the other day and am expecting them shortly. Generally speaking, I love these Osprey Wargames books. I already own Dux Bellorum and you can't go wrong with the price for any of these. I'm very tempted to just buy every ruleset they put out.

Back on topic... we will start out playing IHMN with our large collection of Gothic Horror models. My friend and I have a combined collection of over 100 humans and monsters. I was wondering, does the IHMN book have abilities to help represent creatures such as werewolves and vampires? I assume so. We have played A LOT of Chaos in Carpathia which has tailor-made abilities for all of the creatures. I did notice that the IHMN expansion book (which I've pre-ordered) has lists for Vatican Monster Hunters which seems promising.

Thanks,
Jason