Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:18:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Military Gentleman  (Read 5856 times)

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
A Military Gentleman
« on: August 05, 2013, 05:02:35 PM »
 For thos LAF members who have a liking of splendid uniforms, tricornes and muskets and an epic adventure I would heartily recommend that you check this link out. It refers to a forthcoming book, which will at first only be available via private subscription, although Ken Trotman books wil be carrying a handful of copies. It features hundreds of colour photographs of the magnificent and unique military figures designed and sculpted by the very talented John Ray. This will be one of those books that I suspect will become legendary in our community None of the material has ever been seen anywhere else in the world, so this is truly a one off original. I confess to a little vested interest as I wrote the text, but the work is a sum of many parts and the drawing together of several very talented people. Please check out the link and see what you think. Thank you.

http://amilitarygentleman.blogspot.com/
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline nelsons-signal

• Bookworm
  • "engage the enemy more closely"
Re: A Military Gentleman
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 03:55:40 PM »
For thos LAF members who have a liking of splendid uniforms, tricornes and muskets and an epic adventure I would heartily recommend that you check this link out. It refers to a forthcoming book, which will at first only be available via private subscription, although Ken Trotman books wil be carrying a handful of copies. It features hundreds of colour photographs of the magnificent and unique military figures designed and sculpted by the very talented John Ray. This will be one of those books that I suspect will become legendary in our community None of the material has ever been seen anywhere else in the world, so this is truly a one off original. I confess to a little vested interest as I wrote the text, but the work is a sum of many parts and the drawing together of several very talented people. Please check out the link and see what you think. Thank you.

http://amilitarygentleman.blogspot.com/

Hello Trooper,
I ordered the book yesterday.
A friend of mine told me it´s fantastic!
Cheers
Achim
"Dortmund Amateur Wargamers"

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 06:07:43 PM »
The book is simply stunning....

Don't muck about, order a copy while you can. The pictures, photographs and text are wonderful and not to be missed.

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 08:49:32 PM »
Thank you chaps, I was beginning to think this had missed out by the membership here. Glad you like it Emir.

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 09:08:09 PM »
I have one, it really is stunning and something that gives you goosebumps looking at it
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 06:05:00 AM »
This looks very interesting but what is the book about?? I can't find a description anywhere. I assume it has something to do with the Seven Years War but that's it. Is it a historical non fiction text, fictional novel or book on wargamming. Please elaborate because it looks very promising.

I also got Henry Hyde's wargamming compendium recently and that was great, particularly if you like old school wargamming.

Cheers
Fuzzy
Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly
down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red
Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture,
torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals.
Blackadder 4

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 11:17:05 AM »
Like it!
Understatement of the year lol.   :D

I'm putting together my own syw project now, directly inspired by it. I'm getting the book slip-cased too. Something this good needs looking after.

Fuzzy - go take a look on the blog. It will give you a good idea of the scope of the book. It's a large format, "coffee table" sized book filled with glorious paintings, sketches and photographs of campaigns from the 18thC in Europe and in America using figures sculpted especially for the book.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 11:23:48 AM by Emir of Askaristan »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 01:01:29 PM »
While on furlough   >:( I must pass  :'( on this wonderful but marginal to my gaming interests (but alluring to my Historian by Training subconscious.)   o_o

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 12:00:19 PM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 05:07:02 AM »
Okay I found this on the book blog:

Some years ago, following a series of articles shown on the internet of a campaign that I had completed, an American lady called Marcia contacted me regarding her ancestor who had been mentioned in a number of the engagements. This led to many conversations, emails and paperwork crossing the ‘big pond’.

It soon became apparent that, as a result of our correspondence, we had the material and the background to this character to turn his story into a publication. And so, with Marcia’s blessing, ‘The Travels and Adventures of an Officer of the 18th Century’ was born. The work, which is written as an adventure story, covers the earlier part of his military life.

The second part of the book is an extensive gallery of over 100 pages, including a number of double-page landscapes, allowing many of the models in the collection to be shown separately, along with photographs of other miniatures that are not included within the main story.

The project has taken about seven years, from concept to publication.  Figures had to be made and painted, and models constructed to create the period backdrops in keeping with this amazing story. With the help of many friends, I have now completed the book, and it will soon be available.

So If I am reading this correctly it is an historical novel based on a real person but with other historical bits added in, all with lovely photographs and illustrations to complement the story.
Hmmm does sound very interesting but would want to see a bit more of the book before forking out the hefty price tag to get it shipped to Australia   :?

Cheers
Fuzzy

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 07:14:10 PM »
I told my mate about this book and he rushed out and bought it straightaway. He a big Seven Years War fan. The book does look fantastic and worth every penny. It will definitely go on my Christmas list.

One question: the miniatures look terrific, does John sell the miniatures or does he do work for other companies ?

Cheers
Fuzzy

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 10:24:15 PM »
Johns miniatures are purely for his own collections I'm afraid. There have been major problems for him in the past over this and rip offs galore, so the short answer is no I'm sorry.

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 07:39:07 PM »
There will always be unscrupulous people that will try and sell pirated figures but I wouldn't think it is a rampant problem. Us wargamers are a pretty small community and can normally spot fakes.

Maybe John should take a leaf out of the Perry's book and start up his own business??

Looking at the book and website etc. I do feel that John not selling his figures commercially is very much wargaming's loss.   :(

Cheers
Fuzzy

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 01:29:06 AM »
Received my copy today...ordered on the 24th!  :o

It is simply superb!  :-* :-* :-*