Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:26:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690324
  • Total Topics: 118325
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Games Workshop "washes"  (Read 11107 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
New Games Workshop "washes"
« on: May 10, 2008, 01:54:53 PM »
If you don't already know, GW are discontinuing their inks range, but are releasing a new range of washes.

I quote their blurb:

"The brand new Citadel Washes have been developed specifically for use on Citadel miniatures. The unique flow properties of the new washes means they are easy to control and will naturally run into recesses, shading your models. This box set contains all 8 of the Citadel Washes in the current range. Each pot contains 12ml of Citadel wash."

Oh dear, does that mean they won't work on Foundry or Perry minis?  :? lol

Seriously, though, I was really impressed by their recent Foundation range, which though pricey, is very good for painting over black primer.

I've been assured by my local GW store manager, who has had a go with them pre-production, that they are very easy to use & give great results.

As GW's paints generally are very good, I'm keeping my fingers crossed  :)

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99179999007&orignav=9

Offline revford

• Mastermind
Re: New Games Workshop "washes"
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 02:36:15 PM »
Sorry if I'm being a bit thick, but what makes these better than paint thinned with water?

Have they applied some newfangled mad science to them?

£12 seems like a lot of money for 96ml of watery paint.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 02:55:09 PM »
Sorry if I'm being a bit thick, but what makes these better than paint thinned with water?

Have they applied some newfangled mad science to them?

£12 seems like a lot of money for 96ml of watery paint.

Apparently there is some sort of agent added to break surface tension. Presumably they will just be upgraded inks, but who knows with GW? And, it goes without saying, GW products will never be cheap. Even their plastics seem ridiculously overpriced when compared to the Perrys'.

In theory it's easy to get good results by adding pva to aid ingress to all the little crevices, but I always struggle to get a good coverage of mail or fine hair etc when trying to wash. I'm hoping these new ones will give me good results, without the "aaaaaaaargh" factor I usually get  ;)

Still, each to his own and if you can get good results with diluting standard paint, then more power to your elbow!  :)

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 03:46:34 PM »
PVA eh?  I don't think I've heard of this trick before.

Sounds interesting and cheap.  :)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 04:05:55 PM »

Now, I have to be careful here, as I usually get this the wrong way round :-[

A tiny blob of PVA added to the wash will aid flow into crevices, whilst leaving flat surfaces pretty well free of wash. A tiny bit of added washing up liquid will spread the wash out over the whole area, forming a stain [good for turning white into a grubby khaki shade, by using brown for example] with it being darker in the folds. A second wash with the PVA mix will then give darker shadows.
However, getting the right consistency of the mix is something I personally struggle with. Done well, both methods can give excellent results, but it's a bit "hit and miss" or me - hence my optimism over the new washes.

I have to reccomend using an old figure to practice on, as I won't be held responsible for your figures being ruined  lol

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 04:17:34 PM »
I have to reccomend using an old figure to practice on, as I won't be held responsible for your figures being ruined  lol

Cheers for that, I'll give it a go soon.

And if it doesn't work out, you'll be hearing from my solicitor.  :D

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 04:21:08 PM »

As mentioned it has its problems.

If there is an art supply store in the area go there and get a bottle of "flow release". You then mix that with water and use that to break the surface tension of paints for washes and even for base coats.

The bottles are quite large and since you mix it with water they tend to last a long time. I know some local professional painters who still have a bottle they bought four years ago.

It is intended to be used with paints so it won't have any unexpected side effects :-)

Online Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 07:11:43 PM »

I quote their blurb:

"The brand new Citadel Washes have been developed specifically for use on Citadel miniatures. The unique flow properties of the new washes means they are easy to control and will naturally run into recesses, shading your models. This box set contains all 8 of the Citadel Washes in the current range. Each pot contains 12ml of Citadel wash. Give us the deed to your houise and your wife and children as thralls and way may send you a pot if we feel so inclined."

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 08:15:49 PM »

I quote their blurb:

"The brand new Citadel Washes have been developed specifically for use on Citadel miniatures. The unique flow properties of the new washes means they are easy to control and will naturally run into recesses, shading your models. This box set contains all 8 of the Citadel Washes in the current range. Each pot contains 12ml of Citadel wash. Give us the deed to your houise and your wife and children as thralls and way may send you a pot if we feel so inclined."

lol  Ain't that the truth!

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 08:31:42 PM »
All sorts of things act as surface tension releasers. A drop of "Jet Dry" rinse agent is also a possibility, and has the advantage of not requiring the sale of one's family into vassalage.

Offline assi

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 08:35:05 PM »

Nothing, i own some bottles of their "washes" and don't use them anymore. Using them results in a extrem glossy finish which is unbearbale. The only exception is "Armour Wash" because it results in a nice glossy metally finish.

Thinning my old GW Paints with was a disaster too, so i stick to Vallejo.

just my 2 cts
Oh sure. Everybody's in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a Great White Shark, ooh, suddenly you've gone too far

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 09:15:11 PM »
All sorts of things act as surface tension releasers. A drop of "Jet Dry" rinse agent is also a possibility, and has the advantage of not requiring the sale of one's family into vassalage.

It isn't designed to work with paints and pigments though so who knows waht actual effect it has on your paint.

A bottle of flow release is cheap considering how long it lasts.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 09:16:22 PM »
The only exception is "Armour Wash" because it results in a nice glossy metally finish.

These aren't the same as the old Flesh and Armour Washes they used to sell.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 09:49:31 PM »
I use inks, for both washes and glazes.  I won't be "investing" in the GW stuff.  CDA are great inks, and I know of painters who simply use Artists' Inks, such as those produced by W&N

I mix the inks with water and "magic wash"

Offline assi

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 10:12:05 PM »
The only exception is "Armour Wash" because it results in a nice glossy metally finish.

These aren't the same as the old Flesh and Armour Washes they used to sell.

You mean the good ol' stuff:

Is the new Stuff Crap?