Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:03:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What rules do you play?  (Read 5163 times)

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
What rules do you play?
« on: August 07, 2013, 12:30:56 AM »
Hey everyone,

As the name suggests, what rules sets do you use for your table-top Post-Apoc and Zombie fun?

Im looking for a set to use - any suggestions?

MM.

Offline Messyart

• Scientist
  • Repopulating the Wasteland, one corpse at a time.
Re: What rules do you play?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 01:13:29 PM »
For my zombie game, I use a set of rules I adapted from Necromunda.

Only the most basic of the Necro' rules stayed through to the final "edition", and I added and dropped a fair bit.
It's got character leveling, a nice big trade list and some pretty nasty zombie bosses. c:

My Fallout game has been a bit more involving. I started it 2 years ago (had a lot of time off of it..) with an idea spawned from a boring visit to my old gaming centre. It was INCREDIBLY numbery and a bit too bogged down because of it.
I started off with the SPECIAL basis, aiming for a game that really felt like the video games. I use AP (action points) based directly off of the players Agility and have a whole set of secondary stats derived directly from the SPECIAL selection.
I am very near completion, just trying to add a few little touches and excessive lists of items and monsters!

It's a team-based RPG game - people hoping to run through it like they could in the game (on their own..) will be massacred without a lot of GM sympathy & rule-bending.
I've got rules for vehicles and vehicular combat too. c: (You can fly a Vertibird into a Super mutant Behemoth, or even stand like a brick wall as someone tries to run you down with a motorbike..)
I'm also currently toying with ways to make a gang-based game out of it..

The zombie game might take me a little while to organise, but I could send you a copy if you fancy it.
If you'd like an apocalyptic monster in 28mm, throw me a PM and I'll think it over.

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 02:29:20 PM »
Wasteland 3. It's the best, simplest, but deepest set of rules I've played so far. Great RPG feel and you don't just play one-offs as much as a persistent universe.
www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 06:06:50 PM »
Wasteland 3. It's the best, simplest, but deepest set of rules I've played so far. Great RPG feel and you don't just play one-offs as much as a persistent universe.

I just spent an hour thumbing though these. They look right on the money for the sort of thing I was looking for.

Thanks!

MM.

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 08:37:09 PM »

Seconded. Although I usually use Wasteland since I am reluctant to upgrade... to 3. I guess GW bored me to death with rule updates ;)

Offline SerialMoM

• Scientist
  • War never changes
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 08:56:22 PM »
For my zombie game, I use a set of rules I adapted from Necromunda.

Only the most basic of the Necro' rules stayed through to the final "edition", and I added and dropped a fair bit.
It's got character leveling, a nice big trade list and some pretty nasty zombie bosses. c:

My Fallout game has been a bit more involving. I started it 2 years ago (had a lot of time off of it..) with an idea spawned from a boring visit to my old gaming centre. It was INCREDIBLY numbery and a bit too bogged down because of it.
I started off with the SPECIAL basis, aiming for a game that really felt like the video games. I use AP (action points) based directly off of the players Agility and have a whole set of secondary stats derived directly from the SPECIAL selection.
I am very near completion, just trying to add a few little touches and excessive lists of items and monsters!

It's a team-based RPG game - people hoping to run through it like they could in the game (on their own..) will be massacred without a lot of GM sympathy & rule-bending.
I've got rules for vehicles and vehicular combat too. c: (You can fly a Vertibird into a Super mutant Behemoth, or even stand like a brick wall as someone tries to run you down with a motorbike..)
I'm also currently toying with ways to make a gang-based game out of it..

The zombie game might take me a little while to organise, but I could send you a copy if you fancy it.

I would be interested in such a cooperative rule set. Do you share it?
Please help me with my Fallout rules, picture heavy!!
leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=47609.0

Offline SerialMoM

• Scientist
  • War never changes
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 08:59:11 PM »

Do you have a link tothese rules?

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 09:39:11 PM »
Seconded. Although I usually use Wasteland since I am reluctant to upgrade... to 3. I guess GW bored me to death with rule updates ;)

I have to agree also, Wastelands 3 is good for simple rules. There are a few elements I don't like but most of them can be worked around with no issue.

After the Horsemen is good, granted it costs $ and can get a big complex rolling on charts to see what happens. What is nice is the solo aspect of that game also, the flipside is the charts give it a nice RPG like feel.
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 09:54:26 PM »
Just 7TV. Some tweaking of course, but in whole a good system to have as a starting point :)

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 10:49:48 PM »

Offline SerialMoM

• Scientist
  • War never changes
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 08:51:06 PM »
You can download them here:
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Post_Apoc_Wargames/topic/4759552/1/

Thanks. The rules are not sooo different from what i am filing with my Fallout Mordheim mod.

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 02:12:14 AM »
Best campaign rules of any post-apoc game I've played. It's remarkable.

For those uninitiated:
You start with a faction and with a specific amount and type of units available. Scenarios are rolled to determine, but there's like a hundred of them. If one is rolled where you try to invade a location, if you're successful, that place is now part of your "realm" and you gain more assets from it to help build larger armies and whatnot.

There's rules for deathmatch racing, single battles...it's very comprehensive but still easy to understand.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 12:23:56 AM »
I started out with Wastelands 3 and enjoyed that very much, since then I mainly use a mix of ATZ and Chain Reaction (love THW's Reaction System) or Mutants And Death Ray Guns.
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Rovanite

• Librarian
    • Grekwood Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 07:17:23 AM »
Not sure if this will be of any interest, but we (Grekwood Minis) have written some basic rules which we will eventually put up on the website for free in the next month or two. I mean...whether you like them or not, they're free lol

We need to test them out first before we finalise things. They are designed to be a good starting point, so not too complex and should prove easy to play.
www.grekwoodminiatures.co.uk
rovanite.blogspot.co.uk
On Facebook too!

Offline Peter

• Scientist
  • No place to run - no place to hide
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 02:10:47 PM »
Try "DADīs " Rules.
It starts in Febr. 2014