Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:01:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690991
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cat fur  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Cat fur
« on: May 11, 2008, 08:57:58 AM »
I know by now that many Lead Adventurophiles own cats (and so do I). Does anyone else besides me have problems with cat fur and fluff (not to mention the cats themselves) getting all over models being assembled or painted or having flock or sand glued on? And is there a cure, short of cat-proofing the room or (preferably) working in a clean room? Do you find you have to dust your models or blow fluff away? I hate finishing a model only to realise there's an incredibly highly visible* piece of fur stuck to its hat.

*It is obviously invisible during all stages of work, and only appears AFTER varnishing - or in a photo.  :-[

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Cat fur
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 10:25:05 AM »
Phew! I thought you had posted something about using cat fur as tall grass or something...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 11:20:23 AM »
Phew! I thought you had posted something about using cat fur as tall grass or something...

Phew to the power of two - that was my first thought as well, probably resulting from my preferene for teddy bear fur for thatched roofs...

I do not own a cat, but I seem to recall from talking with cat owners that there are substances that make a room unattractive to cats by their odour - similar to the "pest repellants" used for gardening. Don´t know the specific items, but I think it was something organic (like an anti-catnip, if you like).

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 11:29:58 AM »

Phew to the power of two - that was my first thought as well, probably resulting from my preferene for teddy bear fur for thatched roofs...

I do not own a cat, but I seem to recall from talking with cat owners that there are substances that make a room unattractive to cats by their odour - similar to the "pest repellants" used for gardening. Don´t know the specific items, but I think it was something organic (like an anti-catnip, if you like).

Cayenne pepper? Wolf's pee? Catebane?

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 01:20:34 PM »
Heh - sorry for the widespread alarm. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the cats in the room (unless it's Sarastro pawing models while sitting on my lap as I paint), the trouble is that (for example) this week's competition entry (still not completed - help!) has been absolutely plagued by cat fur.I was also wondering whether some static charge could get rid of the fur off the models.

As regards using cat stuff for modeling, I confess to using cat litter* - Fullers earth type, the grey clayey stuff - for basing. You will see some (with the dratted stray fur) on my competition (week 6) entry. It's ideal for rubble.

*health warning - only previously UNUSED cat litter should be applied to models.  :?

Online Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 05:18:32 PM »
I've got no good suggestions other than be sure to keep the catnip separate from the foam when flocking bases. We had one fellow who didn't and boy did he ever have problems.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 06:01:26 PM »
I've got no good suggestions other than be sure to keep the catnip separate from the foam when flocking bases. We had one fellow who didn't and boy did he ever have problems.
Good grief  :o :o :o

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 07:54:01 AM »
Just say 'No' (Boru, Napoleon, Scully...fill in as appropriate) and the cat wil leave your figures alone.
Whatd do you mean they don't?

A small battery powered vacuum cleaner is also handy....
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done