Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:28:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mongoose Brushes?  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Theatralic

• Scientist
Mongoose Brushes?
« on: June 30, 2014, 01:34:54 PM »
I hope this is the right Place for my Question.

I usually use some dirt cheap fire and forget flats for drybrushing. But to be honest I am getting to a Point where the attrition Warfare is feeling silly.

More than once now I heard about Mongoose Hair Flats and Filberts being sturdy as it gets and being "the perfect Drybrush".

I am still undecided if I want to shell out that kind of money for a Drybrush,. The Information I have found is usually given in the form of a not so helpful one liner :"Mongoose is awesome" or something like that.

Anyone has some experience with them and is willing to tell me more about it? Are they really that good and indestructable? Recommended? Are Filberts the Way to go over Flats?

Any Help would be appreciated :).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 01:41:33 PM by Theatralic »

My Vintage Dwarfs: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=42987.0

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
Re: Mongoose Brushes?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 07:55:41 AM »
At the end of the day, drybrushing rapidly wrecks brushes. If you use a good brush, you'll rapidly wreck a good brush. I've tried all sorts and still go back to cheapies. Might it be worth having a look at Rosemary and Co and see if she has a "synthetic mongoose" equivalent?
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 05:13:41 PM »
Why would mongoose be a better fibre?

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Theatralic

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 05:21:09 PM »
Thanks Guys for getting back to me :). Till somebody can provide me with some insights I am inclined to agree with you Mitch, thats why I haven`t bought any yet ( and I am still having some Trouble with my conscience, even with my Kolinskys, but thats another Subect on itself)

@ Mr. Peabody

The first Time I heard about it was on a Painters Homepage :

Mongoose is very tough, affordable and holds paint quite well. Its durability makes it a wonderful dry brush that will just not die no matter what you do to it. I have a size two flat mongoose brush that I use for dry brushing and it still looks like new after a year of hard service. A Kolinsky or Red Sable will just get killed dry brushing unless it is a cheap Sable with thick hair. Mongoose brushes can make good points as well and are perfect for those who like a tough brush.

That made me google it but information has been kinda sparse. People Mention and Praise it but bothing more. Thats why I asked  as i know there are many more experienced painters in here than I am and people who tend to test out more niche stuff than the usual Warhammer Forum crowd.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 05:38:31 PM by Theatralic »

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 05:34:27 PM »
Hmmm... Size 2 is kinda beefy anyhow. But maybe gives more control on the day. Something to think about. I'll be placing an order with Rosemary in the new year, so I could put this on my wishlist.