Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:52:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Zombie game: Left 4 Dead style...  (Read 5154 times)

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
Zombie game: Left 4 Dead style...
« on: February 11, 2009, 02:51:45 PM »
Well, I've finally crawled out from under the rock that's called "busiest time of year at work".
I'm slowly getting back into a normal rythm, so that means the return of hobby time...

The last couple of weeks some mates and me have been playing some linked zombie survival games. We used whatever figures I could scrounge together and mostly improvised terrain (not much to look at, so no pics...).  Meet our merry band of survivors:

From left to right: Faroukh,(hardened criminal) Drenthe Janssen (archaeologist/explorer), Alice Janssen (Drenthe's niece) and Jessica de Fluijter (militant soccer mom).
Their backsides are here...

In the last couple of games, it turned out regular zombies weren't enough of a threat to them, even in confined spaces, like a hospital. (The players are playing smart and co-operate well. Often it's them group-mugging zombies instead of the other way around.   ;D )
So I've decided to ramp up the danger, taking a lead from Left 4 Dead: (warning for those at work: site with noisy intro movie!)

The three wearing hoodies in the front left will be used as Hunters: faster, more intelligent zombies with a leap attack. The two to the right of them (with their tongues sticking out) will be Smokers: Zombies that can lash out with a chameleon-like tongue to drag in and strangle survivors.
The big black thing in the back will be a Tank: Dumb as any zombie, but big, agressive, hard to kill and strong enough to hurl things like dumpsters or cars at the survivors!

The Hunters are unconverted Ghouls with Hoodies from Black Cat Bases, the Smokers are GW plastic Zombies with tongue and swellings at the neck added in greenstuff. The Tank is a GW Chaos Spawn with a GW zombie head, with the sockets for an excessive amount tentacles filled and it's arms bulked up in greenstuff.

Next game is two weeks from now, and I should hope to show you some finished product by then...   ::)

Bye, Modhail

Offline Jase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: Zombie game: Left 4 Dead style...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 05:38:54 PM »
Looks really good and promising!

Must...resist...buying...zombies....

Offline stroblight

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 03:31:31 AM »
Great paint and choice of models.  What type of rules are you using for your games?

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 06:45:00 AM »
Thanks!

At the moment we're using Dead Walk Again, but we find we are reaching the limit of how far the rules will stretch (especially on the damage front, once you add in hostile survivors and special zombies, it just breaks down.) The action point system and the zombie behaviour rules are quite nice however.

I'm currently frankensteining our own ruleset by combining the rules we like about Dead Walk Again with Microlite20, a slimmed down version of the D20 3.5 SRD... But I've only just begun working on that. (For what I thought was a simple cut and paste hackjob, it's taking me longer than I thought.)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 10:16:41 AM »
You must ahve been reading my sleepy thoughts, I have been looking at doing the exact same thing myself... lol

I will try and jot down my ideas on rules some time as I was planning on using the same rules as yourself.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 05:10:38 PM »
Sure. I'd like to compare notes!
I've got most of the core rules mashed together, but still need to work out searching, equipment and skills in a satisfactory manner...

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 07:56:15 PM »
 They're done!

The Hunters:

And the Smokers:

The Tank will have to wait till next weekend.
I want to paint his skin all in one go, and frankly, there's quite an expanse of skin on the brute...

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 07:18:09 PM »
Quite nice, rather enjoyed the game. Be interesting to see what you use to make a tank with.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 07:50:53 PM »
I've already got one primered and ready for paint.

Here's an older pic of him, where I still needed to add his shoulder muscles:

It's made from a plastic GW Chaos Spawn with a zombie head.

It's current, primered, state can be seen in the second pic of my first post.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 05:13:52 AM »
Ah, very nice. And I must say, your workbench looks just like mine, paint-splotched canvas, paint pots, blister-packages and toy cars all over it ;D.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 08:12:37 PM »
Hehe, is there any other way for a painting table to be?

Tank's done:

I initially started neatly mixing and layering the highlights of the skin, but it just refused to work the way I wanted it to, and I was running out of time (game's tomorrow evening)... Got fed up, and decided to just drybrush and wash the damn thing! Still turned out fairly acceptable.
The pants are just a quick job to get the thing finished. The original in the game has dark hair and jeans but I chose grey pants and light hair, that way I could also use it as a Weird War failed (or succesfull?!) experiment.

Here's the whole merry bunch together:

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 03:47:24 AM »
Top work!

I really like your version of the "zombie tank", but all the others are very nice too.

thanks for sharing.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!