Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:12:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682950 times)

Online Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #11235 on: August 14, 2020, 10:26:24 AM »
That gang stronghold doesn't look too bad.

It's a shame the small boxed sets aren't more widely available beyond overpriced ebay sales.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #11236 on: August 14, 2020, 10:41:26 AM »
The Game shops in the UK will be stocking the new micro games Phil.They have them up on the store along with release date.

Where?

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #11237 on: August 16, 2020, 12:57:24 PM »
I am surprised to see the new board games. GW's been there before (mid-90s, with lots of counters rather than miniatures tho) and I had the strong impression it didn't work for them then. I wonder what they think will be different this time around?

Or maybe they're riding such a high just now they feel they can try it out and if it fails, well, they can absorb the hit.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #11238 on: August 16, 2020, 01:35:36 PM »
Not available in the Netherlands, unfortunately. Some chains in Germany will stock them. They're a nice addition for the models.
@BP: GW is more "hot" now than it's ever been before. They even had to introduce their own pre-order system in Warhammer shops ( formerly known as Games Workshop store ) because some boxed scenario sets had become sold out within the hour... It's ridiculous, these days. Buy a box, split the contents and sell it for double on internet. Buy a "limited" boxes set, like Sisters of Battles of Indomitus and you can sell it on for double or triple the original price ( although GW did a second run on Indomitus, because of the flak they got on their release policy... ).
Leadhead

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #11239 on: August 17, 2020, 07:11:35 AM »
I am surprised to see the new board games. GW's been there before (mid-90s, with lots of counters rather than miniatures tho) and I had the strong impression it didn't work for them then. I wonder what they think will be different this time around?

Or maybe they're riding such a high just now they feel they can try it out and if it fails, well, they can absorb the hit.

Tabletop gaming as a whole is booming, hugely, and has been for quite some time now. Boardgames especially. Back in the mid '90's, less so.

Also, Underworlds could be said to be a boardgame and Warhammer Quest isn't far from it. It's arguably the first time since they stopped some of the licensing out too. A lot of the licensed games did well. So it made sense they made the decision to bring it back in house.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #11240 on: August 17, 2020, 07:15:17 AM »
Not available in the Netherlands, unfortunately. Some chains in Germany will stock them. They're a nice addition for the models.
@BP: GW is more "hot" now than it's ever been before. They even had to introduce their own pre-order system in Warhammer shops ( formerly known as Games Workshop store ) because some boxed scenario sets had become sold out within the hour... It's ridiculous, these days. Buy a box, split the contents and sell it for double on internet. Buy a "limited" boxes set, like Sisters of Battles of Indomitus and you can sell it on for double or triple the original price ( although GW did a second run on Indomitus, because of the flak they got on their release policy... ).

GW have done special edition launch sets a fair bit in the past. Nothing new there really. The mark up on stuff depends where you look. I've seen more people than not being very fair when splitting their sets. From as little as £40 for one of the faction halves.

There will always be scalpers and their prices will always be dependent on what some fools are willing to pay over the odds for.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11241 on: August 17, 2020, 12:50:23 PM »
I picked up a copy of the first space marine adventures when it was on sale a couple of months ago. it's a fun little game, with a bit of tinkering it could make a very nice dungeoncrawler, and it's simple enough that you can homebrew quite a bit for it.

I'm interested in the age of sigmar dungeon crawler lost patrol reskin thing, Could be fun.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #11242 on: August 17, 2020, 08:44:11 PM »
I had my first game of 9th edition 40k the other day, also my first game on Tabletop Simulator, which was novel but surprisingly good and something ill.do a lot more of.

We played a game using the Crusade rules, the very small table took some getting used to but it was rather fun (albeit in a 40k way). Me and some friends are doing a small Crusade campaign on TTS.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11243 on: August 18, 2020, 09:37:17 AM »
Cool. I've looked at TTS but thought "no thanks" my brother got it recently so am now wondering if it is any good. I take it you can do online PVP. Also do you need to pay extra for games like 40K?

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #11244 on: August 18, 2020, 01:26:13 PM »
Cool. I've looked at TTS but thought "no thanks" my brother got it recently so am now wondering if it is any good. I take it you can do online PVP. Also do you need to pay extra for games like 40K?

Ive always been the same tbh. Tabletop gaming should be played on a tabletop...but actually I was quite impressed. You can do PvP, solo stuff, basically you create a room which is password controlled and so you can limit entry to people you know. We use a Discord voice channel for chat. Its basically a big sandbox with tools for manipulating the assets you load in. So is capable of playing any sort of game ypu can physically play on a tabletop.

Most stuff is just accessible from the workshops so it's all free to download. The table, models, tokens etc I just downloaded and is available for anyone to use, there is a Battlescribe TTS application that helps create and populate lists too which is handy for stuff like 40k.

Ive had a look at other stuff and I noticed mods for Bolt Action, Saga, Sharp Practice, Frostgrave etc. There is even some official mods (Relicblade  being a notable one) which dont have the legal question marks over them!

Ive got friends who play a lot of board games and RPGs using TTS, for the relatively low price on steam its pretty impressive tbh. Particularly at the moment!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11245 on: August 21, 2020, 11:22:27 PM »
I'm liking the look of the new Slave Ogryn gang for Necromunda. Great for a variety of things, but looks like a lot of duplicate pieces.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Necromunda-Slave-Ogryn-Gang-2020
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:24:07 PM by beefcake »

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #11246 on: August 22, 2020, 03:51:46 AM »
I'm liking the look of the new Slave Ogryn gang for Necromunda. Great for a variety of things, but looks like a lot of duplicate pieces.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Necromunda-Slave-Ogryn-Gang-2020

I know GW is expensive, and I know it is gauche to even bring it up... but I realized my eyebrows had involuntarily raised up as far as they could go when I went back to the price.

I was hoping to nab one for a project, didn't realize they were going to be sold in a set of six ;)

a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11247 on: August 22, 2020, 04:03:52 AM »
There's a set of 2 as well (and remember it will probably be half the price in the UK and elsewhere in the northern hemisphere)

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #11248 on: August 22, 2020, 07:41:24 PM »
I know GW is expensive, and I know it is gauche to even bring it up... but I realized my eyebrows had involuntarily raised up as far as they could go when I went back to the price.

Yeah, don't be fooled by the NZ$ - having grown up in NZ, we used to refer to the NZ$ as the peso of the South Pacific. In the UK the full gang is selling for £50, and the two-ogryn set (with almost? all the options) for £25. It is a little more than I expected, but my fellow New Zealanders do get ripped off, as Mr Beefcake points out.

New Orlock stuff revealed today is a bit disappointing. OK ideas and cool to see some female gangers, but the sculpts are really lacking something. I dunno, it is almost like the sculptors were thinking about something else while doing the sculpting - they're just kinda uninspired.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11249 on: August 22, 2020, 11:09:25 PM »
Yeah, don't be fooled by the NZ$ - having grown up in NZ, we used to refer to the NZ$ as the peso of the South Pacific. In the UK the full gang is selling for £50, and the two-ogryn set (with almost? all the options) for £25. It is a little more than I expected, but my fellow New Zealanders do get ripped off, as Mr Beefcake points out.

New Orlock stuff revealed today is a bit disappointing. OK ideas and cool to see some female gangers, but the sculpts are really lacking something. I dunno, it is almost like the sculptors were thinking about something else while doing the sculpting - they're just kinda uninspired.

Where did you grow up?
Yes the orlock stuff isn't great. I still prefer the original metal orlocks to these plastics. (prefer plastic van saar to metal easily though)