Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:07:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683440 times)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #11400 on: February 23, 2021, 02:31:14 PM »
Whilst browsing my lead mountain, I discovered some Valhallan figures.
Searching online and I've got the following:
  • Valhallan Lieutenant
  • Valhallan Sergeant  with Chainsword
  • 3 x Valhallan with flamer

I've no idea why I would have them, but any ideas on how much they would be worth secondhand?
As mentioned above, under the "advanced" search settings on ebay, you can check a box for older listings: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/ebayadvsearch
"Sold" obviously gives you the prices products sold for, while "completed" will show both sold and unsold products (green and black price tags respectively), so you can see what prices were perhaps unacceptably high too!
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Phyllion

• Scientist
    • Diary of a Gaming Magpie
« Reply #11401 on: March 20, 2021, 03:21:50 AM »
Yeah, this set would be great to get someone started with a blanchitsu old world style Rangers of Shadowdeep game.

I fancied getting this set (first GW purchase in many a year) and trying my hand at Blanchitsu. That suggestion for a rule set sets that idea in stone...

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #11402 on: March 22, 2021, 08:26:32 PM »
To be fair to GW the new Vampire stuff is very nice

Offline McYellowbelly

• Mad Scientist
    • Terrain Monkey blog
« Reply #11403 on: March 22, 2021, 09:20:08 PM »
To be fair to GW the new Vampire stuff is very nice

That is nice, is it released yet?
You don't scare me lady, I've been drinking with skeletons080918083132.png

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11404 on: March 23, 2021, 12:35:40 AM »
That vampire is a beautiful miniature!
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11405 on: March 23, 2021, 03:44:19 AM »
I do like the new undead stuff as well. Might be resurrecting my old army... sorry.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #11406 on: March 25, 2021, 09:55:19 PM »
That is nice, is it released yet?

Not yet 'coming soon' apparently.

Offline 3Fingers2

• Librarian
« Reply #11407 on: March 27, 2021, 10:34:43 AM »
That new vampire looks great clean uncluttered miniature just had email come through with the high elves or what ever the fancy name they are called now , soon as I seen them I was like wtf! o_o And what mind bending substances were the designers on  lol

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11408 on: March 27, 2021, 10:48:11 AM »
That new vampire looks great clean uncluttered miniature just had email come through with the high elves or what ever the fancy name they are called now , soon as I seen them I was like wtf! o_o And what mind bending substances were the designers on  lol

I couldn't agree more when are they going to realise that less really is more in miniatures design. I loved the early Primaris marine sculpts for the same reason, but they have gone over the top on the newer releases (mostly). Oh well can we include faff and over detail in the same breath as scale creep?
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #11409 on: March 27, 2021, 07:47:50 PM »
Yeah, I looked at some of those Elves (or whatever they're called now) and couldn't imagine how I would even begin to paint them.

It did give me new respect for their in-house painters, especially painting to that standard to what I imagine is a pretty tight dealine :o

It took me about an hour to clean and assemble one Van Saar Necromunda figure the other day. The preparation alone on those Elves would take me weeks :(

I do like the waterfall thingy though. I could see that being useful for all sorts of things :D

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11410 on: March 27, 2021, 08:01:11 PM »
Yeah, I looked at some of those Elves (or whatever they're called now) and couldn't imagine how I would even begin to paint them.

It did give me new respect for their in-house painters, especially painting to that standard to what I imagine is a pretty tight dealine :o

It took me about an hour to clean and assemble one Van Saar Necromunda figure the other day. The preparation alone on those Elves would take me weeks :(

I do like the waterfall thingy though. I could see that being useful for all sorts of things :D

It looks like it could be used for a Yakult advert lol

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11411 on: March 30, 2021, 01:35:02 PM »
I was looking at the Lumineth Realm-Lords. To get quite honest, since I don't have much experience with plastic models, I am fearful that the pikes, spears, intricate bows and such, will break with very little handling.

Could someone chime in here? Is my fear unfounded or not?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #11412 on: March 30, 2021, 01:59:48 PM »
I was looking at the Lumineth Realm-Lords. To get quite honest, since I don't have much experience with plastic models, I am fearful that the pikes, spears, intricate bows and such, will break with very little handling.

Honestly Ray, those sorts of parts take much more punishment than you might think. The bits I find *do* get damaged somewhat easily are anything that could reasonably be described as "dangly" or "spiky". I dread removing such parts from the sprue and cleaning them up, as this is the stage of the model when they are most likely to break.

As an example, I have a Khorne warrior who had a long flowing tassle hung from a ring linked to the pommel of his axe (example here). It was a great detail and looked reasonably sturdy, but sadly the ring was the weak point, and it snapped as I was cleaning up the part after removing it from the sprue. I ended up replacing the ring with one made from fine brass rod, and pinned it to the pommel of the axe - fixed, and much stronger than before.

I guess if it's something that would be a weak point on a metal model, the same would generally be true in plastic; and the options/repairs would also be the same.

However, when it comes to spears and the like, the length actually gives the part some flexibility, so as long as you're not very rough with them, they briefly bend slightly and then "spring back" should you happen to catch them with your sleeve or drop them for example. For example, I found some 30 year old plastic skellies rolling around loose in a box the other day whilst tidying, and the spears were all in perfect condition!  :)

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11413 on: March 30, 2021, 08:18:33 PM »
Reported price for cursed city is £120 - Which is fair given the amount in the box.

The price certainly made the child in me wince at the thought of how many 50p's i'd need to save to buy a copy, then I remembered I'm an adult. Then I my winced at how many 50p's I need to save up to buy a copy.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #11414 on: March 30, 2021, 08:52:26 PM »

They are usually pretty chunky and robust, much more so than resin models, and far easier to put together than metal models.