Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:57:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682841 times)

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #11430 on: April 15, 2021, 09:18:16 AM »

I don't really need this... but I want one  o_o

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #11431 on: April 15, 2021, 09:23:47 AM »
It looks to be a lovely sculpt and a cool mini diorama...but I'm not a fan of these massive minis as gaming pieces. Still, a lovely mini.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11432 on: April 15, 2021, 09:36:13 AM »
It looks to be a lovely sculpt and a cool mini diorama...but I'm not a fan of these massive minis as gaming pieces. Still, a lovely mini.

Yeah, they look nice and all, but nice as display cabinet pieces. I wonder if there will be a clear aesthetic divide between the rumoured 'Oldhammer' ranges and the Age of Sigmar stuff, with a deliberate return to simplicity and understated models to tap into that market.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #11433 on: April 15, 2021, 09:58:31 AM »
Impressive as it is, I still prefer Kremlo as a miniature (a Perry classic).

I wonder if there will be a clear aesthetic divide between the rumoured 'Oldhammer' ranges and the Age of Sigmar stuff, with a deliberate return to simplicity and understated models to tap into that market.

Will we see his like again?

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #11434 on: April 15, 2021, 01:04:38 PM »
Normally I am not a fan of big pieces like that for a character. Lord Kroak being what he is, is an exception for me.

That said I would welcome more simple sculpts... and when I say simple I mean simple like the latest Victrix sculpts not simple like Warhammer Quest.

Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11435 on: April 15, 2021, 01:24:12 PM »
Impressive as it is, I still prefer Kremlo as a miniature (a Perry classic).

Will we see his like again?

Well now, I just so happen to have a bunch of figures as a commission to paint for that scenario! Should be done over the summer some time.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #11436 on: April 15, 2021, 01:39:02 PM »
Well now, I just so happen to have a bunch of figures as a commission to paint for that scenario! Should be done over the summer some time.

Aha! Excellent news! I trust we'll be seeing them here!

Slann skin colours always lead me to paralysis by analysis, though I aim to eventually continue with the blue/red eyes/orange hands and feet combo that I've used in the past.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11437 on: April 15, 2021, 03:36:37 PM »
I can appreciate the technical artistry that goes into a piece like that, but GW has long since "cranked it to 11" - with art coming before usefulness.  That's a model beyond the budget of half of GW's gamers...and beyond the painting skill of the remaining half. :D

When I see a model like this, I put on my "40K" goggles and then picture it unpainted with 3-4 pieces broken off being shoved around a table at the local store.  Also, I have a strong disdain for models, in general, which are difficult to transport.

So, while it's a cool miniature(?) and I look forward to seeing a handful of people paint it up gorgeously for painting competitions, I think it's pretty garbage as a gaming piece.  I feel like they skip the hugely important step of thinking "someone is going to have to paint this and put it in a box and carry it around".
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Online Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11438 on: April 15, 2021, 03:48:39 PM »
I can appreciate the technical artistry that goes into a piece like that, but GW has long since "cranked it to 11" - with art coming before usefulness.  That's a model beyond the budget of half of GW's gamers...and beyond the painting skill of the remaining half. :D

When I see a model like this, I put on my "40K" goggles and then picture it unpainted with 3-4 pieces broken off being shoved around a table at the local store.  Also, I have a strong disdain for models, in general, which are difficult to transport.

So, while it's a cool miniature(?) and I look forward to seeing a handful of people paint it up gorgeously for painting competitions, I think it's pretty garbage as a gaming piece.  I feel like they skip the hugely important step of thinking "someone is going to have to paint this and put it in a box and carry it around".

Maybe it's an elaborate long term plan to kill tournament gaming by making miniatures impossible to transport.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #11439 on: April 15, 2021, 04:23:50 PM »
That's a model beyond the budget of half of GW's gamers...and beyond the painting skill of the remaining half.

That's an interesting point. The problem (such as it is! ;)) with things like this is that they're not easily done "half decently". I've often noticed that really spectacular wargames tables often don't feature figures that are anything remarkable close up. I've seen loads of ancients games that have looked brilliant, but which features figures that - on inspection - were relatively crudely painted, often with extremely heavy black lining. And yet they were perfectly painted for the job (looking good from a couple of metres' distance).

Now, I've seen that sort of thing most often with 28mm ancients and medievals, but of course it could work well with any genre. But it's quite difficult to achieve, I think, with very elaborate and very detailed models - especially if they're huge.

And I think that's a bit of a shame. I've very rarely seen that brilliant two-metre effect from modern GW plastics, and I think it's probably hard to achieve because of all the detail and clutter. So you get a kind of polarisation: stuff that's really good and stuff that can't hope to compete. By contrast, the kind of simple, heavily black-lined figures I'm thnking of can compete really well with stuff that's technically better painted (and might even look better from a distance). I wonder if that's a bit of a dying art, in part because of the baroqueness of the miniatures and in part because those who can't paint particularly well are straining to emulate those who can.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #11440 on: April 15, 2021, 06:40:26 PM »
I don't mind in the least that weird, huge, complicated and beautiful pieces that push the boundaries of sculpture are being made, so long as they're not the only things being made.

Issues with the more ordinary troops being fragile is more worrying, like those horsetails on the chaos warhammers a few posts back. At least those are (relatively) fixable.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #11441 on: April 15, 2021, 07:16:30 PM »

Fair points about durability and ease of transport.

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #11442 on: April 17, 2021, 03:27:56 PM »
So, it’s been announced that Cursed City isn’t going to be available any more, so whoever didn’t get one, won’t be able to. Hmmmm.....I could have bought on release, but as they said specifically that this wasn’t ltd edition and I wanted to read some reviews, I kept my money in my pocket. Oh GW, same as ever with their FOMO antics

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11443 on: April 18, 2021, 10:23:47 AM »
There was initially nothing to indicate the release would be limited, so while I'm happy to criticize GW for... anything really, this isn't really a typical case of profiting from FOMO.

It's still unclear if anything happened to change the plans (seeing how the last Quest box, Blackstone Fortress, was a basic range item available for 2.5 years) nor 100% guaranteed it will be gone (Warhammer Community has been silent, there are only some comments on Facebook pages, which don't rule out further production runs, merely say they aren't planned at the moment, or words to that effect).

Certainly a bit of a mess for a big release and a long-hyped one at that.

Main positive I see is that a more traditionally fantasy-styled release has apparently been massively popular, which seems promising for future products. More standard skellies and gritty witch hunters instead of flying fox-headed Elven archers or golden Space-Marines-but-in-fantasy.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #11444 on: April 18, 2021, 11:46:22 AM »
GW and their cryptic ways never cease to surprise me.... but to be clear, not in a good way. While GW does make some things I like they are not a company I trust because of their lack of transparency.