Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:29:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1695427 times)

Offline 3Fingers2

• Librarian
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #11445 on: April 18, 2021, 02:07:27 PM »
There was initially nothing to indicate the release would be limited, so while I'm happy to criticize GW for... anything really, this isn't really a typical case of profiting from FOMO.

It's still unclear if anything happened to change the plans (seeing how the last Quest box, Blackstone Fortress, was a basic range item available for 2.5 years) nor 100% guaranteed it will be gone (Warhammer Community has been silent, there are only some comments on Facebook pages, which don't rule out further production runs, merely say they aren't planned at the moment, or words to that effect).

Certainly a bit of a mess for a big release and a long-hyped one at that.

Main positive I see is that a more traditionally fantasy-styled release has apparently been massively popular, which seems promising for future products. More standard skellies and gritty witch hunters instead of flying fox-headed Elven archers or golden Space-Marines-but-in-fantasy.

Bat headed  elves ? Sounds chaos corrupted  lol

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #11446 on: April 18, 2021, 02:10:01 PM »
I watched a YouTube video which quoted the GW statement and made a reasonably plausible if not authoritative effort at interpreting it, to the effect that the debacle is most likely the result of the excessive cost of importing components from China since Brexit, making a release such as Cursed City highly unprofitable for them.

It should be added that other theories are available, most of them neither more nor less plausible, but a deliberate intent on GW’s part to frustrate their customer base seems unlikely, to me at least.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #11447 on: April 18, 2021, 04:23:08 PM »
It appears to me that part of the reason for the anger of the GW fan base (which I do not count myself as being part of these days) is not just the unexpected sell-through, but the very swift and thorough erasure of the game from the GW site.  I couldn't even find the earlier teaser articles on the Community page, much less product listings.  That may be a bit of an overreaction - the actual Cursed City website is still up and operating, which seems an odd thing to overlook if they're trying to "Squat" the game - but it's being seen as proof of villainy on GW's part.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11448 on: April 18, 2021, 04:44:12 PM »
It appears to me that part of the reason for the anger of the GW fan base (which I do not count myself as being part of these days) is not just the unexpected sell-through, but the very swift and thorough erasure of the game from the GW site.  I couldn't even find the earlier teaser articles on the Community page, much less product listings.
All articles are still there from what I can see: https://www.warhammer-community.com/?s=cursed+city
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Dolnikan

• Librarian
    • Dolnikan Games
« Reply #11449 on: April 19, 2021, 01:54:43 PM »
As someone who was interested in getting this set, but who was waiting for some reviews of the game and the actual minis, this is quite a disappointment. But then again, more money for other figures!

Offline 3Fingers2

• Librarian

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11451 on: May 08, 2021, 10:16:25 PM »
Tanith Ist and Only to be released character, models so far as I know. Ambivalent about this,the last three novels have been decidedly ordinary.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #11452 on: May 09, 2021, 10:37:55 AM »
As someone who was interested in getting this set, but who was waiting for some reviews of the game and the actual minis, this is quite a disappointment. But then again, more money for other figures!

Yeah, same over here. If they don't even allow for the possibility to have one "made to order" like they usually do in their stores it's up to them. I bought in quite a few miniature kickstarters instead so no regrets over here.  :)
Leadhead

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11453 on: May 30, 2021, 12:53:43 AM »
I like the new style of orcs (sorry orruks) they have made. Not so large a head. Not sure how it fits with all their lore etc but the minis are nice.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11454 on: May 30, 2021, 01:37:41 AM »
Much prefer these new orcs to any previous GW orcs of the last few years - they feel much closer to the older citadel style - all gangly limbs and long droopy faces.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #11455 on: May 30, 2021, 08:20:52 AM »
Much prefer these new orcs to any previous GW orcs of the last few years - they feel much closer to the older citadel style - all gangly limbs and long droopy faces.

Yes, they're loads better - with some nods to both the old Perry orcs and the Kev Adams ones, I think:

And the hobgoblins are quite interesting too. With both lots, they're making a virtue out of the long, non-human torsos:

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11456 on: May 30, 2021, 10:28:00 AM »
I dunno. An improvement on the last couple of decades of Orcs, certainly and I do like the slimmer limbs and the generally more subdued feel to the designs. Less is more. But GW designers have an obsession with dangling stuff hanging sharply downwards ... it's odd. No armour or clothing on the torso (which seems oddly thick) but for goodness' sake pile it up on the shoulders! Maybe it's the robotic painting style but I'm not feeling it on these.

The Hobgoblins ... again, some nice stuff there - I do like the faces, the slim limbs and attempt to move them away from generic Greenskins with a design that ties them in together (perhaps a bit too much). But overall, with the thick torso again and stubby legs, that looks weird to me. They look like someone's dangling their pet hamster so it's stood on its hind legs. What are they armed with there, daggers and hand grenades? I always thought Hobgoblins looked best when they had the Asian designs, with hordes of wolf riders taking the place of Mongol riders in the Warhammer world. What exactly is their niche, because it doesn't say anything to me yet? These guys look half dressed and upside-down - let's have a strip of armour down our chest, but leave everything else except our metal pockets (for keeping more grenades in presumably) and of course some useless dangly stuff (curtain cords in their case). As with the Orcs, no-one's got a scabbard to keep their knife in, no-one has a purse or a food bag or even any real clothes.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #11457 on: May 30, 2021, 10:34:03 AM »
I would echo Cubs on these, he has better articulated what I was thinking.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11458 on: May 30, 2021, 10:34:47 AM »
They do look pretty good I have to admit!

Would there be enough variation to make an Oldhammer (3rd to 6th Ed) army?

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #11459 on: May 30, 2021, 10:37:09 AM »
I really liked everything there. I was already sold on the winged Stormcast hero, and love the orcs and hobgobs. This will probably be my first GW starter box purchase since 6th edition Warhammer. Still not playing their rule systems though ;)