Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:56:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686488
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682903 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #11460 on: May 30, 2021, 09:50:06 AM »
But overall, with the thick torso again and stubby legs, that looks weird to me. They look like someone's dangling their pet hamster so it's stood on its hind legs.

Ha! That's hard to unsee!

They remind me a bit of Tolkien's description of the Woses:

[Before] them on the ground sat a strange squat shape of a man, gnarled as an old stone, and the hairs of his scanty beard straggled on his lumpy chin like dry moss. He was short-legged and fat-armed, thick and stumpy, and clad only with grass about his waist.

All your points on the equipment, etc., are bang on. That's what's so great about the old Perry orcs: you feel they're going about some nefarious business that involves the contents of their pouches, the liquor in their flasks and the odd severed head.

That said, though, these orcs are the first from GW in - what - decades that I can imagine buying to use in a D&D game. Mind you, that's before we know how big they are ...

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #11461 on: May 30, 2021, 11:05:42 AM »
 I really like the style of the new Orc's and Hobgoblins.The orc's like others have said do hint at the older ranges by the Perry's and Kev Adams.They also remind me of the old Rackham Orc's.
 The crossbow armed one's look really nice.As does the larger bolt thrower that was shown at the end.
 Will be interesting to see where they go with this and the Hobgoblins.The curtain tassles may just be ropes for tying up prisoners.It does mention that in the background they shared.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #11462 on: May 30, 2021, 11:09:45 AM »
The Beast-Skewer wouldn't be up to the job of monster slaying as it's not mobile enough...should be mounted on a beast of some sort.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #11463 on: May 30, 2021, 07:24:29 PM »
I'm sure we'll see some really nice alternative ( grimdark? ) paintjobs on those models in the near future. Some of those figs I like, some not ( yet ). Chariot and Bolt Thrower - if affordable I'll get, the leaders not, the troops,  maybe. Think the Sigmarite armor ( plates & scales ) is an improvement upon the older style, les 40K-ish...
But hey, chances are it will be sold out in under 5 minutes with a made to order in about 6 months, if we're lucky  lol.
Leadhead

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11464 on: May 31, 2021, 05:28:26 AM »
The Beast-Skewer wouldn't be up to the job of monster slaying as it's not mobile enough...should be mounted on a beast of some sort.
I agree there.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #11465 on: May 31, 2021, 09:01:54 PM »
I like the new orks - they look more dangerous than the usual cartoony ones - but I'm not jotting them on the Must Have list.
The Cursed City roll out was a let down for me. There I was, ready to take the plunge. Went even to the GW site to pre-order and everything. Only to get.... clotheslined.
Recovered from my disappointment and took it as a sign from the miniature gods to chip away at the Unpainted Mountain instead.
(or spend my hobby $$$ elsewhere)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #11466 on: June 01, 2021, 12:35:49 AM »
The Cursed City roll out was a let down for me. There I was, ready to take the plunge. Went even to the GW site to pre-order and everything. Only to get.... clotheslined.
Recovered from my disappointment and took it as a sign from the miniature gods to chip away at the Unpainted Mountain instead.
(or spend my hobby $$$ elsewhere)

Same here, decided to direct more energy to Rangers of Shadow Deep.

a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #11467 on: June 04, 2021, 10:28:28 AM »
Not sure about the Greenskins. I love how they look...but they just don't look 'Games Workshop' to me. It's such a massive step away from their well known look and feel, it feels like a whole different company is doing these. And with this step I assume other ranges will be massively restyled too? Otherwise the range's style will be quite incoherent.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #11468 on: June 04, 2021, 01:24:20 PM »
Perhaps GW is trying to evolve an AoS aesthetic that will be different from Warhammer Fantasy in anticipation of its return.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #11469 on: June 04, 2021, 01:57:47 PM »
Not sure about the Greenskins. I love how they look...but they just don't look 'Games Workshop' to me. It's such a massive step away from their well known look and feel, it feels like a whole different company is doing these.

I think there are some very clear echoes of classic GW tropes:

(From the Eldritch Epistles blog - Perry Citadel orc painted and converted by Kev Adams)

Or this classic orc (painted brilliantly here by Nicklas P).

Perhaps GW is trying to evolve an AoS aesthetic that will be different from Warhammer Fantasy in anticipation of its return.

I was thinking almost the opposite: perhaps they're harking back to the Old World stuff (antlered orc helmets, big red faces on shields) to lay some ground for the 'new' Old World.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11470 on: June 04, 2021, 02:18:00 PM »
It looks to me like they're basing their new Orcs on the Hobbit movie Orcs - they have flatter faces, smaller mouths, smaller, narrower eyes. The classic Orcs had deeper eye sockets, more pronounced jaws and generally stronger bone structure. These Orcs look more like the old Half-Orcs to me. And the more I look at the odd creases in the thick torso, the worse I think they are. They're obviously trying to depict the shape of musculature, but have gone for thin skin wrinkles instead, like they're wearing a comedy T-shirt with printed muscles.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #11471 on: June 04, 2021, 05:42:58 PM »
I think there are some very clear echoes of classic GW tropes:

(From the Eldritch Epistles blog - Perry Citadel orc painted and converted by Kev Adams)

Or this classic orc (painted brilliantly here by Nicklas P).

I was thinking almost the opposite: perhaps they're harking back to the Old World stuff (antlered orc helmets, big red faces on shields) to lay some ground for the 'new' Old World.

Echoes, sure… but different. Like Seraphon to the classic GW Lizardmen. Similar in some ways but otherwise different.

And yeah, I got a feeling of some old school GW influence but also the Orc designs from the Hobbit.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 05:46:40 PM by Rick W. »

Offline Lawful Evil

• Scientist
« Reply #11472 on: June 05, 2021, 08:19:00 AM »
Same here, decided to direct more energy to Rangers of Shadow Deep.

I'd love to use the orcs FOR RoSD!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11473 on: June 05, 2021, 09:17:32 AM »
I like the faces. Much prefer these to the classic comical GW orc look of the previous three decades. These at least look like they’re meant to be evil, nasty fuckers, rather than entertaining comic caricatures.

Don’t like the overall design vibe though. It looks confused. Way too many different and conflicting cultural influences and references in the wardrobe department. I’m with Cubs - too many pointless dangly bits and overly fussy taradiddles.

Still, they’re distinctive, which at least is a step up from what has gone before.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11474 on: June 05, 2021, 11:09:02 AM »
What with the grenades and what seem to be runes on the banner, the hobgoblins might be paving the way for a return of the Chaos Dwarfs - or whatever they will call them now. Wonder if the classic high hat will reappear - it would at the very least deserve a cameo appearance.