Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:40:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689522
  • Total Topics: 118283
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1695151 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #11550 on: July 22, 2021, 10:54:31 PM »
If could wave the magic wand and wish for things I know wouldn't happen, I'd wish for all the vintage Citadel models locked away under IP protection laws to be released again. Some of the old sculpts, maybe retouched, tidied up, cast properly and available for sale? Wouldn't that be a beautiful thing. Imagine a world of 'cast on demand' where those elusive models you've been seeking for years was suddenly available to the drooling fans once more.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #11551 on: July 22, 2021, 10:59:00 PM »
You are quite correct it is almost a direct port from 2nd & Necro, but thats part of the charm I feel. I just hate this whole battleforged nonsense and endless warlord traits etc trap that the modern stuff seems to have fallen into. Yawn!

I desperately tried to like it (bought into killteam/40K 8 & 9th) but I can`t get on with the reams of special rules it reminds me of trying to play "Fizbin" on the wrong day  lol. Oh and the endless rulebooks to buy :o :(

Glen

The best thing they ever did was all the Index books.when 8th 40k was released. If they'd have just stopped there id have liked it a lot more!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11552 on: July 23, 2021, 05:05:21 AM »
I'm looking forward to it. If not just to see what they do with it. I'll still base my ogres (not ogors) on round bases whenever I get around to painting them (probably when they kill of the old world again).

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11553 on: July 23, 2021, 07:16:49 AM »
The best thing they ever did was all the Index books.when 8th 40k was released. If they'd have just stopped there id have liked it a lot more!

Even better would have been including them in the rulebook, like 3rd edition did. Oh and the heady days of a £8 full codex and £4 minidex, instead of the over-inflated and expensive nonsense we have now that may only last for a year or maybe two at the most >:(
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #11554 on: July 23, 2021, 07:36:46 AM »
So good luck to them, mainly maybe, some miniatures - new but with old aesthetic would be interesting.

smells of marketing the old thing as the next great new thing, but with all the extra modern cards, special rules etc, combined with the classic OOP/new versions releases routines in place.

If there is a free basic rules release to take a look at, ok

Otherwise I am good.

Even better would have been including them in the rulebook, like 3rd edition did. Oh and the heady days of a £8 full codex and £4 minidex, instead of the over-inflated and expensive nonsense we have now that may only last for a year or maybe two at the most >:(

Yes but we are meant to have grown up and abandoned it all to the skip after two years, so that the next edition/generation of customers can start burning their parent's money...

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11555 on: July 23, 2021, 07:49:47 AM »
So good luck to them, mainly maybe, some miniatures - new but with old aesthetic would be interesting.

smells of marketing the old thing as the next great new thing, but with all the extra modern cards, special rules etc, combined with the classic OOP/new versions releases routines in place.

If there is a free basic rules release to take a look at, ok

Otherwise I am good.

Yes but we are meant to have grown up and abandoned it all to the skip after two years, so that the next edition/generation of customers can start burning their parent's money...

Well I am a wargamer so I never grew up ;), plus where is the fun in that  lol

Offline sonicReducer

• Bookworm
« Reply #11556 on: July 23, 2021, 03:38:10 PM »
I have been on a big GW kick recently having bowed out of GW games about 10 years ago. I think it is stress induced nostalgia  lol
Hitting my upper 30's, massively stressful 18 months with 4 kids at home, living in a building site for 6 months .... definitely got me pining for simpler times when a mini dex cost £4 and a Space Marine Captain not much more.

I wouldn't know where to start with GW games now. I looked at the Dominion box but there is just something off for me with these new orruks ... They are technically excellent but just missing some of the soul of the older minis that I find in sculpts like the Perrys and Foundry. I could just be a grumpy grognard (I suspect this is the case). The older minis had a bit of whimsy and slapstick to them.

What dropped me hardest from GW was the constant revolving door of money. New editions, codexes, mini prices ... I remember considering starting a Dark Elves army when plastic Witch Elves came out for something like £30 for a box of 10, needing 2 or 3 boxes for one unit in the army. I noped out of the whole system and sold off a big Word Bearers army and 2 WHFB armies including some OOP metals. Can't see myself going in for this Old World rehash. I did pick up the new Bloodbowl box on a whim and I'm pretty keen to play 7's which looks a good beer and buddy game.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #11557 on: July 23, 2021, 04:16:51 PM »
I'm exercising my own GW nostalgia by rewriting my own version of 40k (which I've basically spliced Bolt Action and 2nd ed 40k together) and Fantasy battle (a mishmash of 2/3 and 4th with chunks of other games I've enjoyed over the years) so the games play the way I want, raiding my mums attic where thankfully I've still kept a lot of my oldest stuff, and keeping a sharp eye on ebay and selling sites. Its getting harder but there are still bargains out there, particularly with 40k, I picked up an entire Space Wolf army with the majority of the special characters for about 40 quid  about 2 or 3 years ago. Im also a fan of the clearly hand sculpted models of yield GW and it gives me.great joy to own them amd paint them!

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11558 on: July 23, 2021, 06:22:32 PM »
I'm exercising my own GW nostalgia by rewriting my own version of 40k (which I've basically spliced Bolt Action and 2nd ed 40k together) and Fantasy battle (a mishmash of 2/3 and 4th with chunks of other games I've enjoyed over the years) so the games play the way I want, raiding my mums attic where thankfully I've still kept a lot of my oldest stuff, and keeping a sharp eye on ebay and selling sites. Its getting harder but there are still bargains out there, particularly with 40k, I picked up an entire Space Wolf army with the majority of the special characters for about 40 quid  about 2 or 3 years ago. Im also a fan of the clearly hand sculpted models of yield GW and it gives me.great joy to own them amd paint them!

Go Sir Theo, Go.

More power to your elbow and good luck and happy gaming

Glen

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11559 on: July 24, 2021, 01:22:04 AM »
Look out for your C&D letter  lol

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #11560 on: July 24, 2021, 08:29:56 PM »
Look out for your C&D letter  lol

I think he only has to worry about that if he tattoos the rules onto his back.  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #11561 on: July 24, 2021, 10:02:57 PM »
Well I am a wargamer so I never grew up ;), plus where is the fun in that  lol

This is of course utterly true, and as my better half will happily admit, and agreee, I fit well within that spectrum.

Offline aktr

• Librarian
« Reply #11562 on: July 26, 2021, 07:28:17 AM »

those rulesets sound amazing - would you be willing to share them?

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #11563 on: July 26, 2021, 08:43:05 AM »
those rulesets sound amazing - would you be willing to share them?

I dont know if amazing is the right word!

Certainly once they are in a place where I am happy with them I can share them in Dropbox etc. I'll let you know.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11564 on: July 31, 2021, 10:56:51 AM »
Welp, looks like GW are flushing their good will down the drain again. Any fanmade media will now be legally challenged, irrespective of its profit earning capabilities. Guve it 5-10 years and they'll have "changed again". Then rinse/repeat.