Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:04:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1703027 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #12075 on: February 19, 2023, 06:56:50 PM »
I couldn't find Stormbringer magazine at our TEsco. Is it being sold anywhere else?

I picked it up yesterday at WH Smith, which had loads of copies.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #12076 on: February 19, 2023, 07:19:53 PM »
Got my copy at Smiths yesterday. Really taken with the orc figure, not so much the knight-arcanum. I can see myself dipping in to the orcy stuff past issue 2, maybe start off with a warband for SBH then expand it to something larger for Dragon Rampant.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #12077 on: February 19, 2023, 09:06:44 PM »
I failed in both Tesco and ASDA on Saturday, so it doesn't look promising.

I seem to remember picking up the last ones when I was in a GW shop, but I won't be near one for a while.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #12078 on: February 19, 2023, 11:13:19 PM »
I failed in both Tesco and ASDA on Saturday, so it doesn't look promising.

I seem to remember picking up the last ones when I was in a GW shop, but I won't be near one for a while.

You've still got another week before it goes weekly. Good luck!

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #12079 on: February 20, 2023, 02:17:36 PM »
Got my copy in the local WHSmiths. Strangely, it was only available behind the counter and I fely very seedy asking for a magazine off the top shelf!  lol

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #12080 on: February 21, 2023, 10:52:39 AM »
So, Attilan Rough Riders are back at long last I see:

I'm... Not that taken with them, for some reason I can't quite put my finger on? Maybe is the chunkiness of the models, or apparent stiffness in their poses?

Either way, it's nice to have them back in a fairly traditional form at least. :)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #12081 on: February 21, 2023, 02:30:48 PM »
Yeah I'm not a big fan either...I think it's the combo of a knightly chunkiness and a swift Mongal horseman, the two images just don't line up...it's the horse for me I reckon, strip them back a bit and they'd look better.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #12082 on: February 21, 2023, 03:49:13 PM »
It sounds silly to say it, because it is such a small detail, but to me they look a bit better with the alternative lance (the explosive charge one rather than the silly hand grenade cocktail stick).

Agree with you both on the other points. I'm thinking maybe it is the combination - several little design choices that I wouldn't notice the effect of individually, but together you just think "Hmmm, that mini is a bit off".

The Ad Mech cavalry was better I think, and I imagine there'll be lots of kitbashes between the two.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12083 on: February 21, 2023, 06:05:23 PM »
The new Attilans are just an absolute mess.  Normally GW is pretty solid on models, but these are crap.  Their hats becoming part of their helmet looks stupid, and for some reason their horses have armour and barding like they're jousting?  Overall they're just an absolute mess.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #12084 on: February 21, 2023, 09:13:53 PM »
The stiffness of the poses is certainly something which stands out. And yes, the barding is a bit odd.

Plus, where are the horse archers??? Space Mongols but they only have lances and swords?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12085 on: February 21, 2023, 10:00:37 PM »
The horses would have made sense (almost) if these were Death Korps. of Krieg or something similar...but all the Mongolian vibe is lost, with the "helmet" hat being almost insultingly bad.

I think the designer was issued a brief and just...missed it.  lol

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #12086 on: February 21, 2023, 10:17:07 PM »
Good idea, poor execution.

I'm not a big 40K aficionado, so please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Attilans meant to be light armoured, light cavalry used for guerilla strikes and raiding missions? These dudes have none of the Mongol flavour of the Attilans. What a missed opportunity.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12087 on: February 21, 2023, 10:39:10 PM »
Good idea, poor execution.

I'm not a big 40K aficionado, so please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Attilans meant to be light armoured, light cavalry used for guerilla strikes and raiding missions? These dudes have none of the Mongol flavour of the Attilans. What a missed opportunity.

GW seem to be shying away from the more direct "X culture IN SPAAAAACE!" design process of old. Unfortunately that seems to make redesigning certain legacy units a bit tricky, as has happened here with the rough riders who are simultaneously obviously meant to be space Mongols, but also aren't quite space Mongol enough to look distinct.  They don't strike me as light skrimishers, but instead as ww1 heavy cavalry with funny hats. (which is cool but if that's the case they should have leant into it more)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #12088 on: February 22, 2023, 12:21:38 AM »
I think I have 50 or 60 of the old skool ones laying around. Back in 3rd there was a provision in the rule book to have a whole force of them.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #12089 on: February 22, 2023, 01:07:43 AM »
I think I have 50 or 60 of the old skool ones laying around. Back in 3rd there was a provision in the rule book to have a whole force of them.
There sort of was in 2nd too... And Stormtrooper platoons too. A bit hand-wavey, but really not too hard to do.

In addition to the old RT figures and the later Attilans (and their converted spin-off Tallarn friends), I always liked that in some editions you could give your RR squads up to 2 special weapons - Flamers and Meltaguns were obvious candidates, but I always thought Plasma or GL could be interesting too. I felt that gave them enough poke to actually make a full force of them vaguely viable.

Anyway, I'd always hoped to see them re-released, perhaps in a few different types of regiment and/or with some different mount options, but these new ones just look off unfortunately. Shame, as it's a completely missed opportunity now.