Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:12:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690678
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1699560 times)

Offline Red Kop

• Bookworm
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #12150 on: March 30, 2023, 07:57:09 AM »
Just be glad you're not in Australia. That's a few too many dollarydoos for me.

New Zealand says "Hi!"

One Steel Legion guardsman costs us NZ$62.50. As of writing, this equates to just over £31 a miniature...

Eye watering...  :'(

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #12151 on: March 30, 2023, 10:18:55 AM »
It is starting to feel like 40K isn't a time period, it's what they intend to charge for a single miniature :(

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
« Reply #12152 on: March 30, 2023, 11:08:57 AM »
It is starting to feel like 40K isn't a time period, it's what they intend to charge for a single miniature :(
This is what I'm thinking as well.
''Any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed''-Jack Churchill

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #12153 on: March 30, 2023, 01:12:58 PM »
I'm glad I'm just dipping into GW with the Stormbringer partworks, the prices are just outrageous! Even if I still have a soft spot for the fluff, and you can prise Space Hulk from my cold dead fingers, I just can't see myself buying GW miniatures "full-time" ever again.

Anyway, Issue 6 of Stormbringer is out and it has 10 "Hobgrots" on it, so definitely value for money at £9

Issue 7 has 2 paints (catachan Flesh and Corax White), not up on GW paint prices but I'm guessing that this is one of the less value for money issues.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #12154 on: March 30, 2023, 02:18:08 PM »
Issue 7 has 2 paints (catachan Flesh and Corax White), not up on GW paint prices but I'm guessing that this is one of the less value for money issues.

Those paints are £2.75 each, so yeah, not their most generous issue - not that I've seen any of them yet :-[

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #12155 on: March 30, 2023, 02:26:56 PM »
Those paints are £2.75 each, so yeah, not their most generous issue - not that I've seen any of them yet :-[

Have you tried Forbidden Planet? I ordered a copy of issue 2 from them and it was only £2 postage.

https://forbiddenplanet.com/380509-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-stormbringer-1/
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 02:28:56 PM by Onebigriver »

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #12156 on: March 30, 2023, 03:24:11 PM »
Have you tried Forbidden Planet? I ordered a copy of issue 2 from them and it was only £2 postage.

https://forbiddenplanet.com/380509-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-stormbringer-1/

I should be in a GW shop next week, but if I don't have any luck there I may give Forbidden Planet a try. I don't remember the last time I was in one of their shops, but I think it was pre-pandemic. Unfortunately I have no interest in 99% of the stuff they stock anymore, so I don't take the time to visit :(

To be honest, I don't need the figures and I'm not sure how compatible they are with my old school Orcs, but, hey, cheap figures are always worth adding to the pile lol

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12157 on: March 30, 2023, 03:41:12 PM »
I should be in a GW shop next week, but if I don't have any luck there I may give Forbidden Planet a try. I don't remember the last time I was in one of their shops, but I think it was pre-pandemic. Unfortunately I have no interest in 99% of the stuff they stock anymore, so I don't take the time to visit :(

To be honest, I don't need the figures and I'm not sure how compatible they are with my old school Orcs, but, hey, cheap figures are always worth adding to the pile lol

They don't sell the partworks in GW stores.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #12158 on: March 30, 2023, 04:48:03 PM »

I've no old school orcs but I'm going rummaging in the loft soon, and assuming you mean late 1980s/early '90s, I'll dig out some humans and take a pic with a "gutrippa" if you want.

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #12159 on: March 30, 2023, 04:57:16 PM »
I was so excited when I saw Steel Legion were on Made To Order… £40 for 10!?? They’ve doubled in price!?

To be fair at least my pile of 200+ unpainted toys isn’t getting added to now.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #12160 on: March 30, 2023, 05:00:50 PM »
I've no old school orcs but I'm going rummaging in the loft soon, and assuming you mean late 1980s/early '90s, I'll dig out some humans and take a pic with a "gutrippa" if you want.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm okay. As I said, I have no use for the figures, but cheap models are always nice to have, just in case lol

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #12161 on: March 31, 2023, 06:53:24 PM »
Had a look at the article about the new way of building forces on the Warhammer Community page.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/30/how-army-building-works-in-the-new-edition-of-warhammer-40000/

Apparently it's a lot simpler now. I've not played since the start of 6th but this doesn't sound easier at all...

For instance, you might be playing as the Gladius Task Force of the Adeptus Astartes. Your faction gives you the Oath of Moment army rule (more on this next week!) while your Detachment gives you access to six unique Stratagems – on top of the core group in the main rules – as well as four exclusive Enhancements for your Space Marine characters. It also bags you the Combat Doctrines ability, which allows you to pick from three powerful doctrines during your Command phase.

If you chose to fight with a different Detachment, you’d replace the Strategems, Enhancements and Combat Doctrines with those of the new Detachment.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #12162 on: April 01, 2023, 12:19:59 AM »
Apparently it's a lot simpler now. I've not played since the start of 6th but this doesn't sound easier at all...

More dedicated players can correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that 40K was getting kinda close to Magic the Gathering, in that a competitive build should find and exploit powerful combinations of different special rules. It sounds like GW have tried to scale back and simplify that aspect to a significant extent. So I guess that makes army construction simpler too? 

I mean, it still sounds like there are several different layers (stratagems etc.) on top of just "Here are my units" but maybe each army has fewer, and more straightforward, combo possibilities? Not in a rush to find out, tbh.

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #12163 on: April 01, 2023, 02:26:47 AM »
New rumours from Natfkavia Reddit

Quote from: Reddit
more Stuff about Warhammer The Old World;

New Base for new produced and sold Sets;
-25mm - small Infantry
-30mm - larger Infantry
-60mm - monstrous Infantry,
-30mmx60mm - Cavalry

There will be no rules for base measures, you can use your old models with their old bases. You even could use rebased Models with Movement trays for round bases.

Launch Set will be (as said) Empire vs. Orcs

Bretonnia and Khemri were previews to show "those factions are not forgotten, we will bring complete new Stuff for them!"

Khemri will get the biggest range overhauls

Some older Models will return to production

First (6) Factions to get releases will be
Empire > Orcs & Goblins > Chaos > Kislev > Bretonnia > Dwarfs
I don't know how much I believe, and those that I do believe (the base change) I'm not too fond of.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #12164 on: April 01, 2023, 09:25:50 AM »
More dedicated players can correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that 40K was getting kinda close to Magic the Gathering, in that a competitive build should find and exploit powerful combinations of different special rules. It sounds like GW have tried to scale back and simplify that aspect to a significant extent. So I guess that makes army construction simpler too? 

I mean, it still sounds like there are several different layers (stratagems etc.) on top of just "Here are my units" but maybe each army has fewer, and more straightforward, combo possibilities? Not in a rush to find out, tbh.

I know what you mean, it all sounds too gamey for my tastes.

Thanks for the rumours Luigi. I think those bases sizes are only a wee bit bigger than before.

I thought Khemri was one of the more solid ranges from before so I'm surprised to see them down as being overhauled.

I doubt I'll get into WoW but I might get a few of the minis for my own rules.