Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:10:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1703440 times)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #12195 on: May 01, 2023, 09:59:45 AM »
Snipping off that stupid lantern would be fairly easy. The ork head/forced scenery on the other hand...

Another consideration is that it doesn't really seem to just be GW forcing this OTT aesthetic, but just them tapping into a large audience who seem to think "more detail = more better". The aesthetics of most modern fantasy media, from modern D&D to every last fantasy boardgame Kickstarter seems to be big, bombastic, World of Warcrafty type stuff.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 10:15:20 AM by Gibby »

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12196 on: May 01, 2023, 10:52:31 AM »
That doesn't seem to be how they do their sculpts these days though.
I'm thinking that's a single model on a small frame that goes together one way only. Maybe a choice of helmet, but other than that everything sculpted on.

Which makes it a "no" for me too. :(

The article states that it's a resin model, so it'll be slightly more traditional in how it goes together.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #12197 on: May 01, 2023, 03:28:06 PM »

The article states that it's a resin model, so it'll be slightly more traditional in how it goes together.
Ah, OK was responding to the previous posts which talked of sprues.
In that case it's even less likely to have options. And even more of a no from me

Just found another image which shows an alternate head (with pudding bowl cut).

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #12198 on: May 01, 2023, 03:36:07 PM »
The attraction for me would be the big gaming events and tournaments using the new rules.
But I’m not a fan of the ‘new look’ fantasy, much prefer the look Oathmark has got. I suppose you’d call it traditional.

This of course puts me in a pickle,
Because to enter the big GW events I’d need an army of GW miniatures, as they don’t like any other manufacturers at their events (which is fair enough)

So I’m stuck,
I currently own a very nice army of Oathmark humans, which is easily a Bretonian look a like. So I can play the new rules.
But I won’t be able to enter the big events.
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #12199 on: May 01, 2023, 04:08:14 PM »
They don't.

they want to attract people who got into Warhammer fantasy in the early 2000's and are now at just the right point in the 20 year nostalgia loop to be drained of disposable income.
They want people who got into fantasy as kids during 6th and 7th edition and have fond rose coloured memories of what to them seems to have been the golden age of warhammer, a golden age that just so happened to coincide with their discovery of it.

Laden with extraneous trinkets is also pretty on trend for the 20 year-old 6th edition Bretonnians they're resurrecting. Same with the Tomb Kings. 6th edition Warhammer design was not subtle.

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #12200 on: May 01, 2023, 04:28:18 PM »
That old Bretonnian infantry kit had excellent trinkets from memory. A little dog, some odd bits of animal (snacks?), various weird symbolic items among the pouches and whatnot, and a really useful animal-tailed club.  Wish I had dozens more of those clubs.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #12201 on: May 01, 2023, 04:43:20 PM »
Most of the plastic sprues from that era did have plenty of things to add. I remember making my first five or so Dwarfs and tricking them out with endless pouches, pipes, tankards and the like. Until my gaming pal pointed out I'd need to paint all those extra bits. The rest of the units were all considerably less encumbered!

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #12202 on: May 01, 2023, 05:16:21 PM »
Most of the plastic sprues from that era did have plenty of things to add. I remember making my first five or so Dwarfs and tricking them out with endless pouches, pipes, tankards and the like. Until my gaming pal pointed out I'd need to paint all those extra bits. The rest of the units were all considerably less encumbered!
I am helping paint a BT army for a friend right now. He went a bit ape shit and built everything in the army at once, compulsively buying, building and kit bashing every model in the army, utilising every piece on the sprue and even adding other pieces for other GW kits. It's going to be a long and tedious project  :'(

Offline sonicReducer

• Bookworm
« Reply #12203 on: May 02, 2023, 06:22:21 PM »
I started with 40K in 3rd and Fantasy in 6th and abandoned both many years ago. Priced out really, and got sick of chasing ever changing rules.

The modern GW CAD sculpts just don't have the same character in my opinion. They just look a bit ... lifeless. Also far too busy and cluttered. How anyone carrying so much cutlery gets any fighting done is a mystery.

I'm not particularly interested in the Old World - I think other games will do the same thing better. Oathmark or Kings of War for one. And I'm bracing myself for the hilarious resin prices. Bloodbowl characters are already ~£23 for one mini. Bonkers. No wonder the third party STL market is thriving.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12204 on: May 03, 2023, 05:56:37 AM »
That Brettonian would be good in some sort of dungeon crawl, Warhammer quest, where all the extras on him would be a bit more explainable, lantern for underground etc. Lose the orc head entirely though, that's just odd when you are battling against a different army (maybe they'll have different heads to go under the sword, lol) But for a battelfield that is ridiculous. The drink bottle and lunch boxes and snack pack on the back really don't belong on a battlefield... unless he is a levelled up Friar Tuck.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #12205 on: May 03, 2023, 08:42:52 AM »
Ok, so he's a Questing Knight, which makes the load out more reasonable, but yeah, you'd drop all that crap the second you could.

As for the orc head, maybe it's a special attack? Before he closes with an opponent he whips it off his sword blade into their face, buying a moments distraction to stump closer under the weight of his camping gear...?

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12206 on: May 03, 2023, 12:30:45 PM »
The only thing I don't like is the smoke(?) effect on the lantern. I thought it was some sort of magical ghost face at first, and it took me ages to realize it was actually meant to be a lantern and not a skull reliquary or some other oddity.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #12207 on: May 03, 2023, 05:07:58 PM »
The only thing I don't like is the smoke(?) effect on the lantern. I thought it was some sort of magical ghost face at first, and it took me ages to realize it was actually meant to be a lantern and not a skull reliquary or some other oddity.
I *THINK* they're just supposed to be melted candles, and someone decided to make them too big for the lantern because that would be easier to sculpt than something recessed? Looks naff, I agree.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12208 on: May 03, 2023, 05:30:45 PM »
I *THINK* they're just supposed to be melted candles, and someone decided to make them too big for the lantern because that would be easier to sculpt than something recessed? Looks naff, I agree.

On further inspection you  much be right - certainly candles, just a bit too chunky.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12209 on: May 03, 2023, 07:05:42 PM »
Definitely melted candles.  My beef is that Bretonnians should have squires carrying all of that crap.  Also he's carrying a knife, a full size sword...and then an even bigger sword...with a shield casually stashed on his hip.

While early miniatures had a lot of options on a sprue, you never saw them "that" loaded.  I mean a lantern hanging from a sheath, etc?  It's just comically overladen.

Sculpting Bretonnians would have been the perfect opportunity to have a squire mechanic (which actually could have even had an in-game mechanic added --- being able to swap between weapons or gear load-outs mid-game, etc.). 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!