Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:12:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1702098 times)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #6885 on: July 04, 2017, 11:31:36 PM »
I'm in with at least one guy.

He's primed as was going to be a Space Wolf ronin type. He can be a chaplain or something. I might have the drive to do a 5-man squad.

Maybe a painting-club type thread? I doubt this'll be as ridiculous as Angry Marines.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6886 on: July 05, 2017, 12:32:39 AM »
Since the colours are so close - I'm planning on tossing these guys inw ith my Chaos Marines when they get done.  If white helmets are cool I'm thinking of a full assault squad w/ MkVI armour jump packs.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #6887 on: July 05, 2017, 01:54:52 AM »

Beige - #f6f6d6
Dark Camo - #999966
Light Camo - #cccc99

Forum colours including hex codes.

Try it on the B&C Space Marine Painter?

Now I just need to see Vallejo color equivalent to that so I start painting my squad  ;D

Something like this?
The dreaded "lead tower"  lol

(I'm not a graphic artist and apologise to everybody's sensibilities)

EDIT:
Refined the shape a bit.

Great work. Of course I can't freehand that, but that's a problem I'll see to later.

And to everyone that talked about the different painting schemes, I guess that some metal parts (aka "unpainted") would look great on the Lead Champions, lol. And Veterans with white helmets sounds good, not so keen on the Red for Sergeants and such but I'm still taking my first steps on the world of 40k.

weismonsters - I can't see any problem with having some alternate-scheme Marines. Like the Raptors Chapter, who changes its scheme according to the theater of war. If anyone wants to do different scheme, in different times of the Chapter's history, they are more than welcome.

I'm in with at least one guy.

He's primed as was going to be a Space Wolf ronin type. He can be a chaplain or something. I might have the drive to do a 5-man squad.

Maybe a painting-club type thread? I doubt this'll be as ridiculous as Angry Marines.

It seems we have enough interest to warrant starting a topic? What do you guys say? And we still need a fluff writer who can cobble a story together and name some of our Chapter's characters - Chapter Master Witchheimer is as must, thanks, Vanvlak!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6888 on: July 05, 2017, 02:54:15 AM »
I'd agree with a separate topic/hobby log.  The only thing I'm not sure of is which name we were planning on using.

EDIT: Perhaps a poll in the thread for the name of the chapter would be a nice start too.  Looking at one of the giant matrix pictures for the Space Marine chapters, the most common are:

Angels of ______
_____ Angels
_____ Hands
_____ Warriors
_____ Fists
_____ Templars
Sons of ______
_____ Legion
The Emperor's ______

There's actually a Chapter named Crimson Castellans who use a tower (red w/ white though).  At a glance I chuckled at "Lead Fists" and "The Lead Legion".  We could use the old military slang "Lead Farmers" :D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:00:59 AM by Elbows »

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #6889 on: July 05, 2017, 04:50:40 AM »
"Angels of Lead" and the "Lead Legion" sound hilarious. I've never painted a space marine in my life, although I think I have two or three lying around. This sounds like a lot of fun, though. So, what are those Vallejo paint equivalents?
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6890 on: July 05, 2017, 08:17:32 AM »
Only if we name our battle barge the Lead Zeppelin of course...  lol
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #6891 on: July 05, 2017, 08:24:52 AM »
I suppose if we are serious enough about this we could have decals printed.  ;D
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6892 on: July 05, 2017, 08:32:11 AM »
Oh we could.

But then I remember the Legio Bolter & Chainsword, which I helped create back in the day. We had decals printed too, and I still have the entire sheet in my decal box, completely untouched... ::)

And I know it has been mentioned before, but look at the change in perception 8th edition 40K has brought about. Take this thread and look at the complaints and rants of the posts in the first couple of hundred pages and compare them to the warm fuzzy posts we're having now, including the fact we're now contemplating creating our very own Space Marine chapter!

Quite remarkable, I'd say...  :D

Offline Sbloom141

• Librarian
« Reply #6893 on: July 05, 2017, 11:05:57 AM »
I was happier with 40k until I saw the prices of the new Primaris 'one model' kits. Seems GW are back to business as usual  lol

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6894 on: July 05, 2017, 11:23:20 AM »
Yeah, well that's just the price for character mini's.
Can't expect them to drop prices now.
I just bought a harlequin sollitaire for 21 euro's   o_o
I mean, it's a nice model and all, but for 5 euro's extra I get a box of metal infinity mini's.
Needed it for shadow war, though so I caved....

That said, they announced those primaris reivers easy build models: 3 for 12 euro's.
That's not to bad. I think I'll pick up one of those, assuming 3 is enough for a squad.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #6895 on: July 05, 2017, 12:30:44 PM »
Now I just need to see Vallejo color equivalent to that so I start painting my squad  ;D
Okay. I'm colour blind - so this part of my reply should be taken with a long caveat.

I found:
http://encycolorpedia.com

Which can convert colours to Vallejo and Tamiya (and a whole lot of other paints). For the hex colour codes MYNKD gave, I have:

http://encycolorpedia.com/f6f6d6
Vallejo 70.928 (Light Flesh)
Vallejo 70.919 (Foundation White)
Vallejo 70.820 (Off White)

So I guess a flesh colour with a bit of white added.

http://encycolorpedia.com/999966
Vallejo 70.996 (Gold)
Vallejo 70.847 (Dark Sand)
Vallejo 70.791 (Liquid Gold)

Well - that's not going to work lol - too flashy.

The website gives Tamiya 80371, XF71 (Dark Green)

Vallejo's conversion chart:
http://cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/5b001b2cd9766dd8ca5eb1d045ba8c75/vallejo-equivalence-2012.pdf

Doesn't give anything for Tamiya XF71. I think Vallejo 70.988 (Khaki) is a good match (though a dark green, like Vallejo 70.893 (US Dark Green) or Vallejo 70.894 (Russian Green) might be good to contrast).

http://encycolorpedia.com/cccc99
Vallejo 70.917 (Beige)
Vallejo 70.976 (Buff)
Vallejo 70.837 (Pale Sand)

Website gives Tamiya 80371, XF14 (JA Grey)

Vallejo's conversion chart:
http://cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/5b001b2cd9766dd8ca5eb1d045ba8c75/vallejo-equivalence-2012.pdf

For XF71 gives Vallejo 70.971 (Green Grey) as any alternative. That doesn't look right.

So - short version is:
f6f6d6 - Vallejo 70.928 (Light Flesh) with some white to lighten it

999966 - Vallejo 70.988 (Khaki) with a little Vallejo 70.914 (Green Ochre) to lighten it

I thought Vallejo 70.893 (US Dark Green) with a little Vallejo 70.914 (Green Ochre) to lighten it would work, but it's too dark.

cccc99 - Vallejo 70.976 (Buff) with a little Vallejo 70.913 (Yellow Ochre) to lighten it

And to everyone that talked about the different painting schemes, I guess that some metal parts (aka "unpainted") would look great on the Lead Champions, lol. And Veterans with white helmets sounds good, not so keen on the Red for Sergeants and such but I'm still taking my first steps on the world of 40k.
Yeah - I think I will paint some parts gunmetal/silver.

The only thing I'm not sure of is which name we were planning on using.

EDIT: Perhaps a poll in the thread for the name of the chapter would be a nice start too.  Looking at one of the giant matrix pictures for the Space Marine chapters, the most common are:
Poll sounds good, or just a thread with who's in and preferred chapter name.

The smartass in me demands I say "Why not make it a nurgle chaos band, easier in terms of what it consists of due to the nature of chaos forces, the colours match perfectly as does the fluff. A bunch of stinky overweight creatures with bad skin match match both nurgle and wargamers rather well after all.  ;)
I'm thinking more like the Space Wolves or Raptors, etc. Every chapter has rules but these guys aren't as strict as sticking to them, resulting in a more of a mercenary feel.

"Angels of Lead"
I like this.

Only if we name our battle barge the Lead Zeppelin of course...  lol
And this.

And I know it has been mentioned before, but look at the change in perception 8th edition 40K has brought about. Take this thread and look at the complaints and rants of the posts in the first couple of hundred pages and compare them to the warm fuzzy posts we're having now, including the fact we're now contemplating creating our very own Space Marine chapter!
Totes. Look at how long this reply has become lol
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:11:33 PM by von Lucky »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #6896 on: July 05, 2017, 12:38:56 PM »
I realise the US Dark Green is a little dark, I orginally thought it could work - but I've edited my two posts as I don't think it will.

Adding the swatch here again to see what it looks like in this post with the relevant background colour.

I also on the whole like YPU's scheme. I think we'll all be modifying it a bit though. :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:15:19 PM by von Lucky »

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #6897 on: July 05, 2017, 01:13:52 PM »
I realise the green is a little darker, but a few highlights will sort it out.

I also on the whole like YPU's scheme. I think we'll all be modifying it a bit. :)

I used the same hex codes given, basically to see how stuff would look in general on a marine, but I do like the way it turned out.

I have a squad of scouts to paint for shadow war, so I might as well go with this scheme!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #6898 on: July 05, 2017, 01:15:56 PM »
I have edited both posts. The Khaki works for me now.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #6899 on: July 05, 2017, 01:18:32 PM »
von Lucky - thanks for taking the time and doing those conversions, I didn't knew about that site.  :o

Daeothar - the decals you mention, are they these ones? http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/files/file/171-legio-bolter-chainsword-chapter-marking-decal-sheet/

Printing decals sounds like a good idea - if we have enough interested people, lol.

Anyone care to open a topic? I don't know how to open a poll for the name of the chapter  :`