Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:17:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1701627 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #9045 on: November 04, 2018, 09:50:48 AM »
Any word on how much the Citadel Water for it will be?   ;)

Also, will it be in Primaris scale or will that come later...?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9046 on: November 04, 2018, 10:11:02 AM »
They'll sell you a special bundle of the cup and the water at twice the price of adding them to your cart separately purely for the convenience of it.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #9047 on: November 04, 2018, 11:54:25 AM »
I just wish they'd said "This is the scale we do Marines in now - your old models are still valid but we wanted to use what we've learned to make them true scale" rather than make up the convoluted lore around the Primaris. That way they could've gradually upscaled any other marine variants (including all the Chaos) as time went by. Sure it would've felt annoying to be out of scale if you had old armies but at least there wouldn't be weird lore contradictions.

Can you imagine the fuss if they had though? It would be worse than people complaining about Primaris. Changing base sizes was bad enough!

And the noise would go on and on until every existing Space Marine model had been remade in the new scale, which would never happen because GW are now much more about adding new things than endlessly reworking and replacing old models like they used to.

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #9048 on: November 04, 2018, 12:21:52 PM »
Can you imagine the fuss if they had though? It would be worse than people complaining about Primaris. Changing base sizes was bad enough!

Honestly, I think it would have been better.

"Square bases are staying"

"This isn't the end of Warhammer"

"You can still use all of your old models"

The half truths are far worse than a policy of transparency because they erode trust. There'd be an outcry sure, but better clean and clear than dragged out and deceitful.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #9049 on: November 04, 2018, 01:39:40 PM »
I don't think people can justifiably say that things shouldn't change unless they want every business in the world to collapse.

The same as people can stand there and say they wish that VW Golf's were still made to the same spec as 1985, but realistically the demand isn't there amongst other things like safety standards having changed etc.

I'm too long in this game to care now. I like something I buy it. If I don't, I take my money elsewhere. There are entire ranges of GW back catalog I watch people swoon over without any knowledge as to why, they weren't even considered good back then . . .

I like the new Primaris, I bought the cheap ones on the front of Conquest mag and converted them using cheap parts bought from here and there. I won't go out of my way for either game now.

And all of the things people tend to worry about like bases and old models only comes into it if you intend to take part in any official tournament. I never had the inclination so those things never even phase me.

Also, personally, I think things look better on round bases.

There, I said it.

Bite me! lol
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #9050 on: November 04, 2018, 02:09:36 PM »
Have to agree with you there Fonz. Also never got why people were so much into some older models.

Take those Chaos Space Marines, they're proper ropey

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #9051 on: November 04, 2018, 02:34:18 PM »
Have to agree with you there Fonz. Also never got why people were so much into some older models.

Take those Chaos Space Marines, they're proper ropey

The argument for old models was never about better or worse but about models owned and painted already. One might think that is also a matter only for the tournament gamer, but that seems to be dismissively ignorant of the kids who form the majority of the market and their need to play at games in the same group or shop.

Railing against change is indeed futile and short-sighted, but not to be conflated with complaints about deceitful implementation of change. I'm pretty sure the vast majority  would be happier with a scale reset than the primaris lore nonsense.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #9052 on: November 04, 2018, 04:11:29 PM »
How is the addition of Primaris marines deceitful?

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #9053 on: November 04, 2018, 04:20:52 PM »
How is the addition of Primaris marines deceitful?

The claim that they aren't replacing "normal" space marines. Call a spade a spade - it's about a scale reset to protect IP with the happy upside of selling more stuff. In GW land* square bases are functionally dead, your old models are not usable, and warhammer did die.

*yeah most people here won't care about GW land (myself included), but that doesn't mean it isn't true for those who do.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #9054 on: November 04, 2018, 04:51:43 PM »
"Call a spade a spade".

They did. They called them Primaris marines which communicates they have no intention of ever replacing little marines on a like for like basis.

Little marines will be available until they don't sell enough to be viable. That will be years from now.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #9055 on: November 04, 2018, 05:23:46 PM »
They'll sell you a special bundle of the cup and the water at twice the price of adding them to your cart separately purely for the convenience of it.

Chaps.. This IS the old news :P

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #9056 on: November 04, 2018, 06:05:07 PM »
"Call a spade a spade".

They did. They called them Primaris marines which communicates they have no intention of ever replacing little marines on a like for like basis.

You and I have very different understandings of how marketing works.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #9057 on: November 04, 2018, 06:30:32 PM »
It's certainly true I don't see deceit behind perfectly clear and understandable product decisions. lol

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #9058 on: November 04, 2018, 07:14:44 PM »
It's certainly true I don't see deceit behind perfectly clear and understandable product decisions. lol

You and I have very different concepts of perfectly clear and understandable product decisions.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #9059 on: November 04, 2018, 07:19:03 PM »
That was obvious from your first comment. Remember; you don't care, right?

Anyway, WQ Blackstone Fortress looks quite interesting. https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/11/04/the-blackstone-fortress-awakens/