Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:16:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690834
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1701201 times)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #9675 on: April 22, 2019, 09:56:59 AM »
Can't remember if it's in your personal profile or accessed via the relevant other person's profile, but there is an option on this forum to ignore other users. This means their posts simply won't be displayed to you anymore. Everybody is free to say whatever they want, but it is everybody's own choice who they listen to. Which in turn means everybody else can just go back to discussing what they like and don't like about little plastic soldiers like normal responsible adults.

So I heard a rumour that there are going to be non chaos factions for that new warhammer fantasy skirmish thing (the one that previewed new chaps furies).
Anyone else seen this, I heard about it but haven't seen anything on the met myself.
I guess (and a pure guess it is) that they simply create rules for little warbands of other factions to more easily attract players (you can A: use existing models, and B: use your favourite race, rather than different flavours of Chaos). Probably a good move for creating a player base, although it risks upsetting the theme a bit, in the same way that a local group may have more Genestealer Cult than House gangs in a Necromunda campaign, or Tomb Kings and Lizardmen in Mordheim. Anyway, maybe they'll create some bundles for particular warbands of other factions, but I won't be expecting any new models for them.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #9676 on: April 22, 2019, 11:02:24 AM »
I think there is a chance we may see some new minis for other factions. The only new models Kill Team introduced was the terrain whereas the WarCry box seems to have all new minis and terrain so they are kinda setting a precedent. Obviously it all depends upon what the aim for the game is; the Kill Team starter is no longer available so maybe WarCry will stay around longer...or maybe they will just repackage everything.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #9677 on: April 22, 2019, 11:03:24 AM »
Don't see the problem with Eowyn and Merry figure. Extreme close up photos tend to make any 28mm figure look subpar. And the mail looks pretty decent to me, better than a lot of historical shite where the sculptor just pushes holes into the putty. I'm not a GW fanboy, they lost me years ago when the prices rocketed, but even so, they do make bloody nice models. If the criticism was about the price tag, I could agree, but the sculpt itself looks pretty damn good to me. Most of the companies putting out mundane plastics would love their models to be this "crap". Different strokes, different folks I guess.

Meanwhile, loving the new Slaanesh greater daemon kit, beautiful stuff. 

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9678 on: April 22, 2019, 11:36:56 AM »
As you say, I think the close up photo doesn't help, and the particular painting style used (little blob highlights on the face, etc) doesn't suit close up photography a lot of the time but looks excellent at tabletop distance. I'd agree that GW still make some of the best plastic kits, particularly in terms of technical proficiency (sprue design is really a cut above), my personal opinion is that the art style they go for now is a bit too far in the cartoony and overly-detailed direction for my tastes, but if you like that style then they've never been better.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #9679 on: April 22, 2019, 11:54:30 AM »
But then thats a key point...this model should be sculpted in the same style so it fits in with the existing range.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #9680 on: April 22, 2019, 01:58:22 PM »
But then thats a key point...this model should be sculpted in the same style so it fits in with the existing range.

Maybe it’s a difference between physical and 3D sculpting?

my personal opinion is that the art style they go for now is a bit too far in the cartoony and overly-detailed direction for my tastes, but if you like that style then they've never been better.

I think that this tendency can be seen in some of the new Sylvaneth models for Underworlds. They seem more stylised than previous models in the range and ‘softer’ in terms of details. It’s a style that works for something meant to be cartoony like Goblins but looks really odd in the burgle daemons.

They appear to be able to stray from it for models like the new Khorne warbeasts.

Mind you the new Slaanesh Greater Daemon models seem exquisite so they can stray into more detailed and realistic models when they have a bigger physical canvas to draw onto

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #9681 on: April 22, 2019, 02:10:18 PM »
Squat land trains, am I right?  :D
I would've loved to see a Squat Land Train in 40K, just look at the Chaos Dwarf Daemon powered one...

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #9682 on: April 22, 2019, 03:27:09 PM »
I think there is a chance we may see some new minis for other factions.

Well I would think that they would want to recycle their existing ranges but they seem to be eager to create new sculpts for Underworld. It might depend on how many models you need for the game and what type. Underworld has new models but that always strikes me as a) a way to push sales of the game and b) because the game needs some grunts and a command model or two and the AoS models aren't package in that fashion.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #9683 on: April 22, 2019, 03:37:19 PM »
That's true...the new Chaos Guys could be a way to release new Dark Oath minis prior to them being reboxed in AoS size units.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #9684 on: April 22, 2019, 03:54:40 PM »
Don't see the problem with Eowyn and Merry figure. Extreme close up photos tend to make any 28mm figure look subpar. And the mail looks pretty decent to me, better than a lot of historical shite where the sculptor just pushes holes into the putty. I'm not a GW fanboy, they lost me years ago when the prices rocketed, but even so, they do make bloody nice models. If the criticism was about the price tag, I could agree, but the sculpt itself looks pretty damn good to me. Most of the companies putting out mundane plastics would love their models to be this "crap". Different strokes, different folks I guess.

Meanwhile, loving the new Slaanesh greater daemon kit, beautiful stuff.
I have no problem with people having no problem with this model, but the close up clearly shows whoever designed it, whether by hand or by software, produced holes instead of something looking close to links: should look more like "Cs", due to the holes being close together and when worn, in horizontal rows across the body and vertically with sleeves. Notice how it doesn't hang naturally on the extended arm? I noticed the same problem with the Rackham Confrontation Mercenary Captain, except with lower half of the body. The thing is, this has always been the case with GW plastics, such as plastic Black Orcs and Chaos Marauder cavalry, and they haven't even attempted at improvement, which is why I ascribed the label - it can be done reasonably, like Perry plastics. I've given up on sculpting decent mail on conversions, so bought the smallest texture plate from Greenstuffworld. 

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #9685 on: April 22, 2019, 09:31:13 PM »
Looking at this:

There will be Orks, Goblins, Dark elves girls, Some other elves ? (my bet is undersea ones), Vampires, Ghosts, Sigmarines and something :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 09:34:16 PM by AWu »

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #9686 on: April 22, 2019, 10:19:23 PM »
Whats the one top left...is that Ogors?

The rest...Witch Elves, Vampires, Goblins, Sea Elves, Orruks, Dark Elves and the Golden Boyz...thats my guess at least.

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #9687 on: April 22, 2019, 10:59:55 PM »
My guess for the top left is Bonesplitterz rather then Gutbuster Ogors (but could go either way), along with Daughters of Khaine, Soulblight Vampires, Gloomspite Gitz, Stormcast, Ironjawz and the last 2 I'm unsure off but guessing Privateers and Nighthaunt at a push.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9688 on: April 23, 2019, 03:25:03 AM »
I'm hoping Ogors, I've wanted a reason to make a small band of them.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #9689 on: April 23, 2019, 03:32:31 AM »
I'm hoping Ogors, I've wanted a reason to make a small band of them.
I get the impression GW doesn't know what to do with Ogres, but at least they haven't been scrapped like basic Orcs and Goblins...

I'm still waiting for Maneaters as a faction or part of a "neutral" mercenary group - weren't Fyreslayers supposed to be mercenaries?