Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:57:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1703429 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #9765 on: May 11, 2019, 11:32:31 PM »
I mean, I said that from the get-go. They're just a sort of glaze/paint mix.

Then I cannot but agree with you sir. It looks like paint with a glaze agent added.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9766 on: May 12, 2019, 03:55:59 AM »
So if these are just basically regular glazes, what are the best glazes from other companies around? I'm interested.

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #9767 on: May 12, 2019, 10:32:38 AM »

The new paints to me look like a combination of the AP Dip and the old ink/white undercoat method. Be interesting to see the White paint (Not the Undercoat mind) for the series as I'm always trying out easy white methods.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9768 on: May 12, 2019, 12:03:30 PM »
I suspect that i will be sticking with variations on the army painter dip etc methods lol
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9769 on: May 12, 2019, 04:26:18 PM »
I... quite like that chibi Sister of Battle.
Not sure I could see myself purchasing one, but the fact that it's not a definite no is something I'll have to take some time to process.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9770 on: May 12, 2019, 04:58:36 PM »
I... quite like that chibi Sister of Battle.
Not sure I could see myself purchasing one, but the fact that it's not a definite no is something I'll have to take some time to process.
I wonder how they scale with Raging Annie (and does the womble have no chapter marks)?

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #9771 on: May 12, 2019, 05:00:55 PM »
So if these are just basically regular glazes...

They are not. They require a specific primer so there is some interaction between the paint and the primer to create the effect. They appear to work like a glaze but the fact that the main tone of the paint is still visible on the model and that it pools more than a glaze would make me think that it is some hybrid.

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #9772 on: May 12, 2019, 06:38:59 PM »
They require a specific primer

Well they say you need their new primer but honestly just how true that is remains to be seen, they also say you need to use citadel branded clippers and glue when making there stuff so I'll take it with a pinch of salt for the moment *Shrugs*.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #9773 on: May 12, 2019, 07:06:21 PM »
Well they say you need their new primer but honestly just how true that is remains to be seen

Why would they develop a line of primers for these paints if they weren’t required? They already sell spray that they sell as primers so what reason would they have to sink time and money into developing new primer if they didn’t have to?

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #9774 on: May 12, 2019, 07:15:34 PM »
Why would they develop a line of primers for these paints if they weren’t required? They already sell spray that they sell as primers so what reason would they have to sink time and money into developing new primer if they didn’t have to?

Because they are a company that wants to make money first and foremost. If they say you need such and such alot of people will just say Ok and buy it without thinking twice even if it may cost more than other cheaper or sometimes better options.

So yes until it's released and people just get to play around and have a good ol' test we don't honestly know if it's really needed or just the ''recommended'' option.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 07:20:42 PM by Chico »

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #9775 on: May 13, 2019, 09:03:19 AM »
Suspect the primer is fairly low tooth, if not very smooth. I use Harold grey primer on terrain which has a lot of tooth and washed etc. can be difficult on it. Probably to avoid that.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #9776 on: May 13, 2019, 09:17:40 AM »
The contrast primer seems like a great product for the first basecoats over white. Spray white, add contrast and then you're set for fast shading and highlighting. Seems excellent for fast but good looking paintjobs.
And yes you can make the stuff yourself, but I don't care for that...I'm way too lazy lol. I want a simple and good product from a pot that is consistent. It's the main reason I love the old GW/AP washes. You can speed up your painting a lot and they are great for quick good blends. So I'll probably buy all of them!
And sure they work fine over white. No need to buy super expensive coloured primers. White is the way to go.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #9777 on: May 13, 2019, 11:59:59 AM »
Because they are a company that wants to make money first and foremost. If they say you need such and such alot of people will just say Ok and buy it without thinking twice even if it may cost more than other cheaper or sometimes better options.

So yes until it's released and people just get to play around and have a good ol' test we don't honestly know if it's really needed or just the ''recommended'' option.

This.

I suspect that some spray primers for cars would work fine. The proof will be in the pudding but the cynical side of me agrees with Chico on this one.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9778 on: May 13, 2019, 04:07:05 PM »
Yes; this has happened so many times already. Think Kneadatite, which was then marketed (first) by GW as Green Stuff at a mark-up that would leave any eighties Wallstreet broker in tears of envy. then there was Future Floor Polish, which found its way into the original Armypainter dip. Or Oyumaru, sold to unsuspecting miniature gamers as  Instamould at dozens of times its original price.

So I take it this will be no different. We'll just have to wait until somebody finds out the origin of the product, and it can be bought in bulk at a fraction of the price... :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9779 on: May 14, 2019, 11:20:00 AM »
Why would they develop a line of primers for these paints if they weren’t required?
I remember when I was this innocent and trusting...