Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:33:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683513 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #9885 on: June 18, 2019, 08:58:30 PM »
I guess the ultramarines are getting a gritty remake, I recognize that bottom colour from most modern war movies and computer games.  :D
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #9886 on: June 18, 2019, 10:11:56 PM »
No offense but it doesn't look much different than Block Painting + Dip in Wash. What am I missing?

I confess that I've never used the dip method, so I may be missing something, but there are quite a few differences, I reckon.

First, as Argonor says, there's one less stage involved. But the contrast paints are much quicker. The reason I've never used dip is that I gather it takes quite a while to dry (overnight?). These don't take much longer than a regular wash or glaze to dry.

Second, it's not an 'all or nothing' thing like dip. With these, you can used them on only part of each miniature. You can paint the armour conventionally, or the faces, or whatever. But you can use these to whizz through areas that are boring or inconsequential or tricky - for example, using the contrast paints on a wizard's robe and its fur lining, but doing his face and hands in a conventional manner.

Third, wet-blending: there's loads you can do with these to create smooth effects and multi-hue shading and whatnot. You could slap one of the flesh tones onto a face and work in some redd around the nose and mouth and some blues or purples around the eyes. For painters more patient and skilful than me, I suspect there's loads of ways to do interesting things very quickly.

Fourth, some of the colours do things that dips definitely don't do. The white, for example, does something that I haven't seen in other paints, and is great for fur, hair and beards in a single application - and keeps the overall colour as white. And the flesh tones are really good - again, because the shading they create is quite subtle.

Fifth, the fact that they come in so many different colours makes them really versatile. I've been trying the black over conventional steel paint; it looks great. So I'm thinking about a chaos warrior with black armour and a red helmet and gauntlets: really simple to do - just paint all the armour steel and then use the black and red contrasts over the respective areas. It'd take about ten minutes. And so on.

There may well be more!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9887 on: June 19, 2019, 08:21:56 AM »
I'm really being swayed to buy these.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #9888 on: June 19, 2019, 09:13:24 AM »
As a painter rather than a gamer I don't need to get loads of minis on a table quickly, but I am very interested in the applications for armour effects and smoothing out contrasty highlights. I think I may grab a half a dozen and have a play with them. I'm thinking white, black, skeleton bone to start, possibly a flesh one - are there any other "must haves" do you reckon?

I must admit, I'm really intrigued by the white one, I've often wondered why nobody ever did a white ink or wash so this is really getting my imagination going.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #9889 on: June 19, 2019, 09:30:26 AM »
The Snakebite Leather is really good, though it is quite 'heavy'. But it's great for dealing with boots, belts and the like in a single stroke. I'd get a flesh one and either a dark brown (Wyldwood?) or a bright colour like Blood Angel Red (again, a 'strong' one).

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #9890 on: June 19, 2019, 10:05:02 AM »
Yeah, good point, one thing I have learned is you can never have too many shades of brown!  lol

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #9891 on: June 19, 2019, 11:05:46 AM »
I'm eying the snakebite and dark greys as well, might turn my dieselpunk tanks into one coat and done jobs  :-*

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #9892 on: June 19, 2019, 12:42:10 PM »
Yeah, good point, one thing I have learned is you can never have too many shades of brown!  lol

Words of wisdom sir!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #9893 on: June 19, 2019, 04:56:01 PM »
Words of wisdom sir!
Absolutely!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #9894 on: June 22, 2019, 04:47:47 PM »
There is definitely something about browns. I often find that there are adjoining areas that I want to be brown but need a wide range available to deal with contrast issues.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #9895 on: June 22, 2019, 06:42:32 PM »

50 Shades of Brown....?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9896 on: June 22, 2019, 08:41:52 PM »
Ew. The dirty prequel.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #9897 on: June 23, 2019, 04:02:59 PM »
Slight change of topic, I know, but does anyone know when Age of Sigmar: Warcry is launched? My efforts to glean this rather basic information thus far have been stymied by technical issues, among others (i.e. the GW website froze when I went there, and, incredibly, the manager of my local independent games store, which sells everything GW-related, hadn't heard of it). I'm not. a GW fanboy myself, so often feel intimidated when asking about their games, very few of which I've actually played, so please be gentle.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9898 on: June 23, 2019, 04:14:11 PM »
I have a feeling I've seen late July being mentioned somewhere - though I'm unsure whether that's officially confirmed anywhere. As a big summer release, that seems about right - later would be quite far off, but any earlier and there would be more information out there by now.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #9899 on: June 23, 2019, 04:15:56 PM »
Slight change of topic, I know, but does anyone know when Age of Sigmar: Warcry is launched?

I thought I had read something or watched a video that stated a July release. I don't think GW has ever announced a date. I think that their pattern has been to give two weeks notice :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza