Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 05:49:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696560
  • Total Topics: 118773
  • Online Today: 579
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1743049 times)

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #7545 on: October 30, 2017, 04:01:56 PM »
In the age of 40 plastic miniatures for £20? Damn straight.

Even from GW, it's a lot. You get 10 Primaris Reivers (32~mm base, almost 35mm height) for £35.

Don't look up that old thread about 'what's a figure worth?' then. You won't be happy what the manufacturers here have to say in it.  ;)

Offline MachinaMandala

• Librarian
« Reply #7546 on: October 30, 2017, 04:09:57 PM »
Don't look up that old thread about 'what's a figure worth?' then. You won't be happy what the manufacturers here have to say in it.  ;)

Oh, trust me, I'm willing to pay a bit (quite a bit) more to a small company but someone who is mass manufacturing is a different matter altogether. :p

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #7547 on: October 30, 2017, 08:11:14 PM »
I guess those miniatures they mass produce are cheaper.. :)

I wanted that handle but was skeptical knowing that good model handle cost around 20 - 25 pounds..
For 5 I will get it fast. (You sure its not a typo for 25  ?:)

For plastic models glued to plastic bases it will be great.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:51:15 PM by AWu »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #7548 on: October 31, 2017, 12:07:05 PM »
I really like the Oathmark dwarves, but I'm not too sure on the goblins. The heads are a bit oversized compared to their bodies but we'll see how they look once they're painted up.

The Scotia Grendel orcs suffer from the same "cartoonishness" that the Perry couple managed to dodge with the LotR miniatures.

Oversized heads are an authentically Tolkienish trait, though. The large heads of various orcs are mentioned in The Hobbit and LotR: the Great Goblin ("a huge head"), Ugluk (or one of his followers - "a great goblin head"), Grishnakh ("great head") and Azog ("a huge head bound in iron"). And there's also this line from the drafts in HoME (discarded, but written long after Orcs had become an established concept in Tolkien's mythos):

“Swiftly they stripped the orc, peeling off his coat of black scale-like mail, unbuckling his sword, and unslinging the small round shield at his back. The black iron cap was too large for Sam (for orcs have large heads for their size), but he slipped on the mail."

So, much as I admire the Perrys, their recent film-based LotR orcs are significantly less Middle Earth-appropriate than their 1980s Citadel orcs, which have the big heads and long arms hanging almost to the ground that Tolkien describes. I'd say the Oathmark goblins are much closer to the 80s Perry LotR orcs and all the more Tolkienish as a result.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #7549 on: November 01, 2017, 01:44:05 AM »
So at the moment, I work with very young kids to improve their reading (I'm on a track for a proper full-on teaching job in a few years, hopefully).

This is almost assuredly an unwise thing, but since wee ones are notorious disease vectors (they already got me - and everyone else at home - sick once so far and the school year's only seven weeks in), we're referring to them at home as nurglings, and my school work to therefore be in service to Papa Nurgle.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #7550 on: November 01, 2017, 09:13:18 AM »
Every school.. every friggin one..

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7551 on: November 01, 2017, 09:15:55 AM »
So at the moment, I work with very young kids to improve their reading (I'm on a track for a proper full-on teaching job in a few years, hopefully).

This is almost assuredly an unwise thing, but since wee ones are notorious disease vectors (they already got me - and everyone else at home - sick once so far and the school year's only seven weeks in), we're referring to them at home as nurglings, and my school work to therefore be in service to Papa Nurgle.
lol
Well I'm 10+ years into teaching, I must be a plaguebearer. I rarely get sick (touch wood) but probably spread the diseases to those around me.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #7552 on: November 01, 2017, 04:32:17 PM »
I am told by a friend who's also been at it for a few years that you soon stop getting sick all the time. One supposes that teachers develop a ferociously protective immune system.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #7553 on: November 01, 2017, 04:55:54 PM »
One supposes that teachers develop a ferociously protective immune system.

I think that's true. The parents, however, end up getting whatever the kids have swapped in class, whilst the kids' turbo-driven metabolism shields them from the worst effects.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #7554 on: November 01, 2017, 05:03:27 PM »
To summarise my feelings about the Gundabad Orcs pack from FW:

I still hate the fact that GW killed the LotR game before I could get into it. The miniatures are absolutely stunning but they're massively overpriced them now.

Any recommended alternatives, guys?

The Lord of The Rings game was my first miniature wargame and is still my favorite game because it's easy yet not simple. Always buy my miniatures second hand ain't gonna pay retail prices for their plastic and metal miniatures. Ask around and check second hand sites.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
« Reply #7555 on: November 01, 2017, 06:52:57 PM »
I am told by a friend who's also been at it for a few years that you soon stop getting sick all the time.

In all my years of teaching, colleges in London and a private school in Hampshire, I never managed to go a single term without catching at least one cold and a bout of laryngitis (even in the spring/summer).

Good luck with the teaching, very few things are so worthwhile.

Back on topic though, my wallet is shaking at the thought of all the Necromunda goodies, and the new bases and scenery...

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #7556 on: November 03, 2017, 09:19:14 PM »
For those who like their board games to take all day to play through...

Reprints of the FFG Revised 4th edition.  :D

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7557 on: November 03, 2017, 09:39:06 PM »
For those who like their board games to take all day to play through...

Reprints of the FFG Revised 4th edition.  :D

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/talisman

If you look at the link they have all the expansions ready to go! That's one hell of a release, even if it is all already made.
Looks like some of the expansions that were really hard to get are coming back aswell which is nice.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #7559 on: November 03, 2017, 10:31:16 PM »
Time for another round of gender politics discussion in miniatures gaming  ;)

So many new releases, even just within AoS recently that I can't keep up with. Passed on Blood Bowl, can't do 40K and Aos, and Necromunda might have to be ignored as well. Blight War, Firestorm and what is looking to be a crap ton of Shadespire are now joined by a very tempting scenery bundle and more Warhammer Quest cards. I need a better paying job or someone to put me out of my misery!  lol