Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:13:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689477
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1694921 times)

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #9780 on: May 14, 2019, 02:57:46 PM »
I expect the reasoning is much less nefarious, it’s probably just as much down to “exact” (read branded) colour matching. 

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9781 on: May 14, 2019, 03:10:40 PM »
Yes; this has happened so many times already. Think Kneadatite, which was then marketed (first) by GW as Green Stuff at a mark-up that would leave any eighties Wallstreet broker in tears of envy.
I am not convinced about your chronology here, I am sure I remember references to Green Stuff before GW began marketing it. I accept I could be wrong.

I only started using it (instead of Milliput which I had been using since the 'eighties) when it became available from GW.

I thought Kneadite was a local brand (like the ill named "crazy glue), and green stuff a generic one.

Offline Derek H

• Librarian
  • Derek H
« Reply #9782 on: May 14, 2019, 05:50:54 PM »
Why would they develop a line of primers for these paints if they weren’t required? They already sell spray that they sell as primers so what reason would they have to sink time and money into developing new primer if they didn’t have to?

It doesn't take very much time or money to design new packaging.   If it's in a new tin it can be presented as a new product. 

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #9783 on: May 14, 2019, 06:38:30 PM »
Why would they develop a line of primers for these paints if they weren’t required? They already sell spray that they sell as primers so what reason would they have to sink time and money into developing new primer if they didn’t have to?

It'll be to do with their own primers - not anyone elses. The colour primers I have used from them are relatively matt, so as someone else has said elsewhere, it's likely that they need to be a bit smoother for the flow to work. If that exists already out there, GW will still bring their own branded product in. They're not going to send a customer to somewhere like Halfords where they could learn the primers are cheaper and better etc.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9784 on: May 15, 2019, 09:01:20 AM »
I am not convinced about your chronology here, I am sure I remember references to Green Stuff before GW began marketing it. I accept I could be wrong.

It was just an example (just like the other two I gave). For me, GS was first available through GW. Only later, when I discovered online hobby forums did I find out that it was in fact called Kneadadite and originally developed as a sealant for use by plumbers. Then again; that's what I was told; I never really researched it, so I might be off.

Then again; despite possible screwed chronology, as an example it still stands I reckon... ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #9785 on: May 15, 2019, 04:28:17 PM »
With regard to Green Stuff, I don't know whether the formulation has remained unchanged, but my understanding  - admittedly unverified - is that it started out in life as a product called Duro, and was discovered by sculptors like Tom Meier and modellers such as Bill Horan, presumably in the late 1970's if not before. When its application for modelling and popularity with modellers became apparent, the manufacturer repackaged it - or a variant of it - as Kneadatite and marketed it to hobbyists. This was long before GW claimed it as their own, and used the name Green Stuff, though I have no idea whether they first used that name, or simply decided to apply a popular - and more memorable -  term as a brand name.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 01:13:18 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #9786 on: May 17, 2019, 08:22:16 AM »
It was definitely called "green stuff" long before GW produced it. In the late 80s, I used to get small quantities of it from the guys at Acropolis and Fantasy Forge, and they always called it "green stuff". I never saw the packaging it came in, so I don't know how it was branded, but it was identical to what GW sells today.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9787 on: May 17, 2019, 11:44:13 PM »
I remember very early on,that the Green Stuff John Blanche used was plastic sprue,melted with turps; an old military modellers trick.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9788 on: May 18, 2019, 12:41:47 AM »
Melted sprue! That is hilarious... and concerningly toxic sounding...

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9789 on: May 18, 2019, 02:10:14 AM »

Worked very well at the time,used it to fill gaps et cetera,of course my fingers are a bit odd these days...Turps,love the smell ;D

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9790 on: May 18, 2019, 09:22:14 AM »
Did you not have an old liquid poly bottle that you dropped sprue into to make thickened gunge for filling?

Way back when story - a youthful twins allegedly sent in their master of a rhinoceros to Citadel with its core made of plasticine. It did not react well to the mould making process.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9791 on: May 18, 2019, 12:50:54 PM »
That right there is an oops if I ever heard one!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9792 on: May 20, 2019, 11:30:59 AM »
Turps,love the smell ;D

I was a quite impatient lad back in the day, with an explosive temper to boot. So for my tenth or so birthday, my parents completely ignored my wants list and gifted me with a stack of plastic model kits, plastic cement, (cheap) brushes and little metal pots of enamel paints. My father cleared out a space under the tiny skylight in the attic, put a table there and further provided me with a Stanley knife, some rags, and an old mustard jar filled with turpentine for cleaning my brushes.

So yeah; kudos to my parents for setting up a easily angered ten year old with a knife and volatile liquids in an unsupervised location lol

I still don't know what cultivated my patience into what it is now; the conditioning of having to build those kits, or the neuron-melting smell of turpentine in that sunblasted, hot attic.

But I do know that to this day, its smell (just like polycement's) has a soothing influence on me... :D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:33:06 PM by Daeothar »

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #9793 on: May 22, 2019, 11:35:09 AM »

Very, very impressed with these little chaps. Really tempted to get a box and paint them up just for the hell of it.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #9794 on: May 22, 2019, 12:32:05 PM »
Jeepers those are nice!
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com