Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:51:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682788 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #10065 on: July 21, 2019, 04:12:30 PM »
Well that does sound rather naff. TBH while I like some of his stuff on the whole its a bit OTT for my tastes and I think he pushes things to extremes, which is good for the creative process, but I much prefer it when his concepts are dialled back slightly for production.

Same. I never 'got it'. He's very very good at portraying the seedy, crumbling decay of a once proud empire type image. His unhygienic images (if you know what I mean) are crammed with disturbing detail, dirt, and a sort of festering quality makes you want to scratch yourself. So yeah, it's effective. But I never really liked his pictures much for all that and have never understood the devoted acolytes (not just for his work, but anyone's to be honest - admiration is one thing, but blind fandom has never touched me). For all the detail, his pictures seemed somewhat … thin somehow. I prefer bolder, simpler compositions that show economy of line.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #10066 on: July 21, 2019, 04:21:14 PM »
''While JB is just grumpy old man and can be rude at a times (well most of the times)he is a master of the art of world building and visuals.''

Agreed, I respect his talent but just wish he'd lighten up.

''But I am looking at his Inner circle minis on the blogs mostly I haven't seen anything off putting bvut I suspect that when you post non Blanschitsu stuff on prominently Blanschitsu group you are not that interesting to the rest of the group.''

You misunderstand me, he complains about blanchitsu imitators quite vocally, unless they are one of is close friends who do seem to get a pass, although i must add more than a couple have styles that I would argue are distinctive enough to be styles in theor own right even if they did start off as inspired by his work.

I say the groups are ''blanchitsu'' but they are supposed to be just dark interpretations of warhammer 40k, necromunda, age of sigmar and historical respectively...but Blanches presence has kind of skewed things somewhat if that makes sense, blanchitsu somehow both dominates but is also a sore topic that often gets threads locked/deleted.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #10067 on: July 21, 2019, 05:40:35 PM »

You misunderstand me, he complains about blanchitsu imitators quite vocally, unless they are one of is close friends who do seem to get a pass, although i must add more than a couple have styles that I would argue are distinctive enough to be styles in theor own right even if they did start off as inspired by his work.

Ahh, Yess he does.
But Ive seen it only when sombody straight up copies his work in the same medium. There was one harsh exchange I recall when some guy was making 2d artworks in his exact styel.
But Ive never saw this in miniatures and I saw him complementing some totaly random dudes with cool styling and over the top detail work.

I say the groups are ''blanchitsu'' but they are supposed to be just dark interpretations of warhammer 40k, necromunda, age of sigmar and historical respectively...but Blanches presence has kind of skewed things somewhat if that makes sense, blanchitsu somehow both dominates but is also a sore topic that often gets threads locked/deleted.

Again I havent felt it but maybe I am not that deep in those discussions. I am there mainly for the pictures :P
These days I delete about 50% of my post before posting it.. lol o_o

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10068 on: July 21, 2019, 06:48:40 PM »
Oof, that cities of sigmar book's going to be pricey, I can feel it.
I'd say $40-$60, more if one's daft enough to buy the limited edition version - in a year or two it'll be replaced, like Blades of khorne for a 3rd time. >:(

https://spruesandbrews.com/2019/07/20/battletome-cities-of-sigmar/

This Battletome combines the Freeguild, Duardin and Wanderers into a book that covers the 8 cities of Sigmar, each allowing different command abilities and unit combinations! Ben Johnson mentioned to us it is possible to do a Steamtank army!! More news as we get it!

I don't know who Ben Johnson is and probably don't care, but an all Steamtank army... :o

Reminds of when I fielded 6 Bull Rhinoxen in a friendly game... ;)

Might make up for getting spat on for using square bases... >:(

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #10069 on: July 21, 2019, 07:36:21 PM »
''But Ive seen it only when sombody straight up copies his work in the same medium.''

He does but his friends get a seeming pass.

''There was one harsh exchange I recall when some guy was making 2d artworks in his exact styel.''

That one I get or the tutorial videos on youtube as they were monetised..but then he complains about people wanting to paint their miniatures like him, forgetting that they are free to and it probably keeps him in a job as GW seems to be moving away from his style to an extent. He freely admits to having his work be heavily influenced by others but treats the same happening to him as an annoyance and incomprehensible

I get he feels like it is his style but he has done turials in the past and quite possibly the bulk of what makes up his style actually belongs to GW..

''I saw him complementing some totaly random dudes with cool styling and over the top detail work.''

I have too but it seems to be much rarer than his friend group who also as they are also admins seem to dominate the groups.

''Again I havent felt it but maybe I am not that deep in those discussions. I am there mainly for the pictures :P''

Smart man, I look at the pics and ignore the discussion which seems to consist mostly of Blanche-worship, part break downs and complaints.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #10070 on: July 21, 2019, 07:37:40 PM »
Seriously? We're complaining about what non-member private individuals post on Facebook now?

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #10071 on: July 21, 2019, 08:01:12 PM »
Seriously? We're complaining about what non-member private individuals post on Facebook now?

Why not?

This is the designated gw dump thread, and it started off with me pointing out how the facebook groups have essentially lost their utility, its as legit a topic as anything else GW related, sure they are private individuals but a good few see themselves as part of an art 'movement' and I have seen it start to filter into non-facebook/blogs. -  a perfectly legit topic.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #10072 on: July 21, 2019, 08:07:14 PM »
The discussion didn't organically evolve, you swerved immediately into criticising someone who isn't here to defend themselves.

I'm not going to get into it, but for anyone else reading this I'd like to say I don't recognise the scenario as painted by Kommando_J.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #10073 on: July 21, 2019, 08:25:56 PM »
''The discussion didn't organically evolve, you swerved immediately into criticising someone who isn't here to defend themselves.''

Yes I I fully admitted that before, it started off as a friendly warning and became a bit of an unburdening, and yes while it didn't evolve organically, it doesn't need to, people can chime in to this thread with whatever they want as long as it is GW related.

I'd be happy to take it up with him, but I doubt it would change anything, all of the pages he uses are heavily moderated by his friends, and last time somebody tried they got banned and maligned and I don't fancy the same as I quite like his work.

I would say however, that my main focus is on how cultish the various facebook GW pages have become (not just the Blanche dominated ones) while I love being able to talk to the developers it seems very one sided in that you can't argue (even respectfully) on things without getting dog-piled.

''but for anyone else reading this I'd like to say I don't recognise the scenario as painted by Kommando_J.''

Given how moderated the pages are and how quick this type of thing is deleted, even a semi-serious browser could actually miss it, but I get you are saying this to signal your disagreement.

I will say in case people think this is some character assassination, it isn't.

I immensely respect the man and his skills, I just don't like his own personal attitude towards some things and some of his fans, and feel that it definitely alters the facebook GW landscape and not always for the better (but mostly for the better).

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #10074 on: July 21, 2019, 08:39:16 PM »

(SMALL RANT INCOMING)

I have so many things to say in response, but I'll try to be brief  :) Maybe I'll come across as part of the problem, which would actually maybe help me understand what you say a bit more.

First up, as someone who has now spent more than half their life in punk scenes around the world, I certainly hear you about being fed up of cliques - oh boy, do I hear you. It is one reason I could never stomach the Oldhammer thing even though there are loads of good people in it and I like the miniatures. The whole declaration and whatnot was a bit too "I'm more punk than you" nonsense. And I agree that some of the Inq28 crowd can get that way.

But I wouldn't blame JB or PDH or the Ironsleet boys (I assume that is what you mean by the inner circle). JB is an old man who has more than paid his dues and just wants to enjoy his hobby and his art. All those guys connected because they saw what they were trying to do in what each other was doing. I don't know if I'd say they big up each other - more that they're constantly pushing each other in what they aim to do with the hobby. Just look at the way each Ironsleet project is even more time-consuming and thorough than the last. JB and co use social media because that is how they connect with other like-minded souls. If you ever visit Nicolas Grillet's amazing gallery, you can still see the message where JB gets in touch - it is kinda sweet.

Are you a fan of the band Tool by any chance? If not, ignore the next bit, it won't make sense. But if so, I think JB is rude for the same reason Maynard is a grumpy old fucker: he just wants to enjoy making his art and stop having people putting him on a pedestal (with inevitably others then coming along trying to knock him off it).

So what I'm trying to say is that the problem might not be the people who are pushing themselves and posting stuff to inspire their friends and anyone else who wants to take it up, but the folk who make it out to be any more than that. 

We all have our thing, right? This forum generally has a strong distaste for power gaming and half-assed scenery, sometimes to the point of mockery and disdain of the contrary opinion. JB and co. have this "mood is king" thing to how they approach their projects. But I've never seen them claim that that is what the hobby should be, or what grimdark is, or whatever (maybe I've not looked closely, tho). If other people want to put them on that pedestal, I imagine that is annoying.  :)

So yeah, like Andrew I guess I don't recognise the scenario here.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #10075 on: July 21, 2019, 08:40:54 PM »
@Kommando_J: GW thread or not, when has this ever been the forum to criticise individuals?

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #10076 on: July 21, 2019, 08:58:51 PM »
I have so many things to say in response, but I'll try to be brief  :) Maybe I'll come across as part of the problem, which would actually maybe help me understand what you say a bit more.

First up, as someone who has now spent more than half their life in punk scenes around the world, I certainly hear you about being fed up of cliques - oh boy, do I hear you. It is one reason I could never stomach the Oldhammer thing even though there are loads of good people in it and I like the miniatures. The whole declaration and whatnot was a bit too "I'm more punk than you" nonsense. And I agree that some of the Inq28 crowd can get that way.

But I wouldn't blame JB or PDH or the Ironsleet boys (I assume that is what you mean by the inner circle). JB is an old man who has more than paid his dues and just wants to enjoy his hobby and his art. All those guys connected because they saw what they were trying to do in what each other was doing. I don't know if I'd say they big up each other - more that they're constantly pushing each other in what they aim to do with the hobby. Just look at the way each Ironsleet project is even more time-consuming and thorough than the last. JB and co use social media because that is how they connect with other like-minded souls. If you ever visit Nicolas Grillet's amazing gallery, you can still see the message where JB gets in touch - it is kinda sweet.

Are you a fan of the band Tool by any chance? If not, ignore the next bit, it won't make sense. But if so, I think JB is rude for the same reason Maynard is a grumpy old fucker: he just wants to enjoy making his art and stop having people putting him on a pedestal (with inevitably others then coming along trying to knock him off it).

So what I'm trying to say is that the problem might not be the people who are pushing themselves and posting stuff to inspire their friends and anyone else who wants to take it up, but the folk who make it out to be any more than that. 

We all have our thing, right? This forum generally has a strong distaste for power gaming and half-assed scenery, sometimes to the point of mockery and disdain of the contrary opinion. JB and co. have this "mood is king" thing to how they approach their projects. But I've never seen them claim that that is what the hobby should be, or what grimdark is, or whatever (maybe I've not looked closely, tho). If other people want to put them on that pedestal, I imagine that is annoying.  :)

So yeah, like Andrew I guess I don't recognise the scenario here.

A thoughtful and appreciated response, I don't blame the 'inner circle'' themselves as they are all nice fellows that just happen to be friends with John, I don't even blame john for the clique element to the whole thing as he clearly doesn't like the fan boyishness either.

I guess I just don't like how the atmosphere has become so cultish and a lot of good work ends up drowned out.

My only real 'problem' with Blanche is I wish he'd cheer up or just not take things so badly, seeing him interact with his friends is indeed sweet and quite nice, reading how he talks to others though it just makes it seem ...painful for lack of a better word and as he is so hyped up his every utterance is liked and shared so its hard to avoid in a way.

I wish people would forget abut his approval and just enjoy themselves and that he in turn wouldn't get so ornery about other people and their arguing about ''what is and isn't blanchitsu'', at this stage of the game its gone far beyond his control and is off evolving in a dozen directions, better to just sit back and enjoy.

''@Kommando_J: GW thread or not, when has this ever been the forum to criticise individuals?''

It dies happen but I get your point, I only intended that to be a small vent lost in this monstrosity of a thread.

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #10077 on: July 21, 2019, 09:05:34 PM »
And a thoughtful and appreciated response in return!

I wonder if JB regrets it being called Blanchitsu? It must matter to him that it is his name. Kinda like Marx's line: "I am not a Marxist".

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #10078 on: July 21, 2019, 09:11:11 PM »
''I wonder if JB regrets it being called Blanchitsu? It must matter to him that it is his name. Kinda like Marx's line: "I am not a Marxist".''

Now that you say that I would bet on it, he was especially pissed recently about the guy doing blanchitsu tutorials on youtube as he hates the misrepresentation.

I get the feeling of ownership of the style but given that he did it as a (presumably paid) column for years, I am struggling to see it at times - not to mention he has explicitly said that all of the 40k elements belong to GW, for private art pieces he sn;t even allowed a servo skull I think, despite those being his invention in the art.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #10079 on: July 21, 2019, 09:21:09 PM »
I do not share Kommando J point of view - IMHO its good that those guys opened their own (as they are admins) group to the public and I can see a lot f great miniatures..
ANd as a guest hthere I am not going to criticese that their community is represented the most

But he is expressing his dislike for this practice.
And you are expressing your displeasure with Kommando J having an strong opinion.
While I can see both merit and flaw of his comments I cant see  what your post add to the discussion apart from dissent. Its just provoking a flame.
Please lets all end this topic, and go on for discussion of GW stuff and not personal comments about other members of LA.

Pax gentleman. And lets talk about some great miniatures not other members.