Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:14:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1695363 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #10650 on: November 16, 2019, 05:04:10 PM »
If they bring this out and it's the Old World with heavy AoS flavour, they'll lose the very market this move is aimed at, rendering it pointless.

This is the rub. Is it going to basically be a resurrection of the later editions of WHFB, or a hard reverse into Oldhammer? Whichever they do, it's not going to please everyone. If I was them - and I can't quite believe I'm saying this - I wouldn't bother with the Oldhammer market since us old farts love the models from 30+ years ago and I don't see them going that far back with the fluff or sculpting style, plus we tend not to spend huge amounts at a time so it may not be financially viable. If they do bring out new models with the subtle understated flavour of the 80's I'll be gloriously happy, but I don't expect it.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Online Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10651 on: November 16, 2019, 07:08:09 PM »
Yup,
Sadly I agree.
Fantasy was never GW’s major money maker, it was always 40k
This is why eBay is flooded with barely used 2nd hand space marines.
AoS, no matter how good a game system some may say, is just fantasy 40k.
And it sells.

Anyhow, hope I’m wrong in 3 years time, and loads of lovely new plastic fantasy figures are released.
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #10652 on: November 16, 2019, 07:30:03 PM »
A friend of mine also pointed out that 30k is sort of "Winding down" in a way, in that they've reached the Siege of Terra in the main release storyline, and while the Black Books are behind that, they're not far off.

A return to Oldhammer in 2-3 years gives them something to shift to while leaving 30k fallow for a while.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #10653 on: November 16, 2019, 09:29:11 PM »
A friend of mine also pointed out that 30k is sort of "Winding down" in a way, in that they've reached the Siege of Terra in the main release storyline, and while the Black Books are behind that, they're not far off.

A return to Oldhammer in 2-3 years gives them something to shift to while leaving 30k fallow for a while.

This seems like a very sane idea too be honest.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #10654 on: November 16, 2019, 10:05:53 PM »
I get the distinct impression there are actually thinkers in charge at GW these days, a mix of hard-headed business people who have actual 5yr strategies, with people who love the hobby and understand the importance of not maximising profit with every decision if it nurtures the genre.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #10655 on: November 16, 2019, 10:56:39 PM »
Could the Old World hook be a way of doing a few more boxed games? An Old World edition of the new versions of Warhammer Quest, or a Mordheim product, maybe.

Seems odd to announce it three years early. But seems too much of a coincidence that a new King's of war edition just came out.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #10656 on: November 16, 2019, 11:27:03 PM »
Sisters of Battle limited edition super rare box set sold out after 2 minutes, much to the despair of people on Facebook, looks like a lot of scalpers got copies based on eBay listings.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10657 on: November 17, 2019, 02:35:44 AM »
MiniWarGamers React to "Warhammer: The Old World" Announcement...

Despite claims of the base being unimportant, squares were pulled from the store earlier in the year, but if they're returning to the Old World, will these be returning?

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #10658 on: November 17, 2019, 03:08:20 AM »
Sisters of Battle limited edition super rare box set sold out after 2 minutes, much to the despair of people on Facebook, looks like a lot of scalpers got copies based on eBay listings.

I nabbed one off the main GW site. I started buying Sisters when they were first released and never really stopped collecting them even after many years without playing 40K. I think the new models are excellent overall.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10659 on: November 17, 2019, 05:16:11 AM »
Unfortunate I took way too long to respond to the email notice of the sale. All sets were already gone.  The ebay parasites will not get my money. Maybe I will see a set in a local store.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10660 on: November 17, 2019, 08:22:22 AM »
You never know. They might Space Hulk it and have another limited edition box come out.  :D

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10661 on: November 17, 2019, 10:52:30 AM »
Unfortunate I took way too long to respond to the email notice of the sale. All sets were already gone.  The ebay parasites will not get my money. Maybe I will see a set in a local store.
You won't be the only one - having been F5ing religiously (seems fitting...) for 20 minutes that morning, it appears the main pre-order window (global minus North America, New Zealand, Australia and Japan) opened a minute early (9:59am), I only received the newsletter email at 10:08 and the webstore displayed they were sold out 10:12.
The website apparently also crashed due to the amount of traffic, and reportedly anybody arriving even shortly after 10am was unable to get anywhere. While I had continued access, every step of the ordering process took almost a minute in loading time; felt like dial-up internet at times!
I think it took the antipodes a bit longer to buy their allotted number, and North America seems to have taken about half an hour to sell out.
Good thing there was a two-week pre-order period.  o_o

Anyway.. I guess they were a bit popular.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #10662 on: November 17, 2019, 02:17:24 PM »
But seems too much of a coincidence that a new King's of war edition just came out.

Do you even think Mantic register on the GW radar?

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #10663 on: November 17, 2019, 02:28:56 PM »
I don't see why not, even if only for the fact that it was started by an ex-GW employee.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #10664 on: November 17, 2019, 04:09:50 PM »
I suspect they are aware, but I don't think Mantic really bother GW in the sense of make them knee jerk in such a way.

More a case of watching the market and seeing the 9th Age and a host of other games doing well enough to test the waters with a game that pays honour to the longer term fans.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus