Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:14:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683147 times)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #10920 on: February 16, 2020, 07:14:10 PM »
Enthusiasm is good RAD,keeps the hobby alive :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10921 on: February 16, 2020, 08:52:48 PM »
£42 for all four of the slaver/pitslave Goliath allies - that is actually much less than I feared!
It's $66 for US residents, so an exchange rate of £1=~$1.57... >:(

Even Paypal's dodgy rate is only 0.04 more than the actual rate.

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #10922 on: February 16, 2020, 08:53:40 PM »
Enthusiasm is good RAD,keeps the hobby alive :)

I second that! And a great post RAD, I also second your enthusiasm for Necro v2. I'm only interested in the minis, and I have to say I was a little disappointed at first. I dislike how regimented and uniform each gang looks in Necro (hated that in v1 too), always preferred the way the Confrontation minis look recognisably of the same gang but not uniform. But the incredible compatibility between so many GW plastic kits these days makes getting a less uniform look easy - and fun!

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10923 on: February 16, 2020, 08:56:47 PM »
Ogre Tyrant is available for pre-order for $35, but it lacks the head and weapon options of the old version.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 05:00:06 PM by Condottiere »

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10924 on: February 16, 2020, 09:34:58 PM »
It's $66 for US residents, so an exchange rate of £1=~$1.57... >:(
Even Paypal's dodgy rate is only 0.04 more than the actual rate.

We have had this conversation a lot lately about GW and Warlord on different threads.  At least for Warlord this isn't an exchange rate issue.  They said "we do sell at different set prices when we offer our products with a foreign currency ".  Could be Brexit related, different overhead costs or just what they think the local market will pay.  I assume the latter.

2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #10925 on: February 16, 2020, 10:16:19 PM »
We have had this conversation a lot lately about GW and Warlord on different threads.

GW has had odd exchange rates for years. Not sure why people would be bringing it up again.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10926 on: February 17, 2020, 01:41:42 AM »
We have had this conversation a lot lately about GW and Warlord on different threads.  At least for Warlord this isn't an exchange rate issue.  They said "we do sell at different set prices when we offer our products with a foreign currency ".  Could be Brexit related, different overhead costs or just what they think the local market will pay.  I assume the latter.
Brexit affecting the pricing of hobby products shouldn't be of concern to anyone this side of the Atlantic. Overhead is an issue, but US hobbyists were charged more even back in the early 2000s, but it's only been in the last five or ten years that price hikes have increased to ridiculous levels. In the past, this could've been avoided by ordering from GW UK after I moved back stateside, from 1997-~2000, due to some items not being available, but this option is banned by them, even though it's a dodgy business practice, at least in the EU - Price discrimination is not allowed]https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/unfair-treatment/unfair-pricing/index_en.htm#shortcut-4]Price discrimination is not allowed.

Price difference might be justified based on physical presence, but this doesn't explain Forge World's pricing: you can't have the purchase shipped to your local GW store, even though you're charged local sales tax.

I'm not trying to make this political, merely pointing out the difference in prices...

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10927 on: February 17, 2020, 05:06:51 AM »
That EU law only applies to pricing within the EU markets though.  I would agree the price difference seems to be getting larger recently but not sure how much that has really changed in the last few years.  That impression may also be due to my now infrequent purchase of new GW models.  The price gouging just makes me more picky in what I purchase.  I doubt their stock will be impacted.  lol

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10928 on: February 17, 2020, 04:14:02 PM »
That EU law only applies to pricing within the EU markets though.  I would agree the price difference seems to be getting larger recently but not sure how much that has really changed in the last few years.  That impression may also be due to my now infrequent purchase of new GW models.  The price gouging just makes me more picky in what I purchase.  I doubt their stock will be impacted.  lol
It's a shame our legislators can't do something similar, but it's probably small potatoes... :(

I'm also getting the impression that we're subsidizing their loss leaders.

The only option is eBay and I have issues with them too.

NB: Someone will bring up game stores, but for their information they charge RRP, with discounts for service members. Some do offer X percent off GW products, like the defunct WarStore, but when shipping and internet sales tax is added, there's hardly a saving, compared to the discounts offered by UK stores - no longer available to foreigners.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 07:45:01 PM by Condottiere »

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #10929 on: February 17, 2020, 07:15:12 PM »
I doubt it's the only such example and I doubt it is only one way...
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

• Scientist
« Reply #10930 on: February 23, 2020, 11:57:03 AM »
Is it just my ill-informed outsider's impression, or is GWs recent air battle game going the way of Space Fleet/Gothic: a massive list of imperial options, and a small handful for each other faction?

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #10931 on: February 24, 2020, 09:58:55 PM »
My guess its natural way of things like with historical miniatures - we have insane overpopulation of the British stuff :P

• Scientist
« Reply #10932 on: February 25, 2020, 09:09:44 AM »
Ha, probably true. And I guess games like Necro and Inq28 flesh out the imperial bits of the fluff in much more detail than the other species get, so an imperial bias maybe seems natural.

Weirdly, when I first got totally hooked into GW (1991) it felt as though the Orks got the most attention: they had more options than the other armies in 2nd ed. Space Marine, and three whole books for 40K.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #10933 on: March 07, 2020, 04:47:07 PM »
There are a load of Start Collecting Age of Sigmar armies up for pre-order - link

They look pretty good value for what you get and I am very tempted by the Skinks, although it does help that I have some Birthday vouchers to spend  :D

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #10934 on: March 10, 2020, 10:28:16 AM »
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/03/10/revealed-at-gamagw-homepage-post-3fw-homepage-post-4/

Loads of new stuff announced. Not sure on the Escher becoming fake Dark Eldar knock offs though.