Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:45:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686665
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683674 times)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #11205 on: July 10, 2020, 02:18:05 PM »
I quite liked the simpler approach of 8th edition  when it came out, but the rules bloat that followed soured me on it.

That said...Im going to get the new box set, they do represent decent value for GW products and I like a lot of the models in the box. I've got all the Primaris from the 8th ed box and the ones in this one I cam add to that to make a more varied army. The Necrons I may sell. I've got a load of the original metal fugly ones that I love dearly and I cant see them matching!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #11206 on: July 10, 2020, 07:36:47 PM »
Wildly low bar

Considering the community tends to lean to "old version was better, stop ruining the game!" on most topics, its still a surprising result.

3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #11207 on: July 11, 2020, 10:15:57 AM »
Preorders went up at 10am, it looks like many third party stores ran out of their allocation within a number of minutes! Im not sure if the numbers were constrained by production/distribution issues or artificially limited- I know that's a tactic GW have used in the past.

I ended up ordering a box. I do like the look of the models, whether I end  playing much 9th edition 40k remains to be seen. I probably played about a dozen games of 8th over its run.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #11208 on: July 11, 2020, 02:30:16 PM »
Considering the community tends to lean to "old version was better, stop ruining the game!" on most topics, its still a surprising result.

From that perspective it is probably unique. I don't think many people really missed seventh edition 40K though.

I think they are doing a very good job of servicing their current fanbase. From reading the rules and looking at the new releases I don't think that they will be making a lot of new converts though. If you didn't like 8th edition then I suspect that you won't like 9th though as it still continues the habit of adding special rules to everything on the table.

Good on GW though for at least giving their fans more of what they want.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #11209 on: July 11, 2020, 02:35:30 PM »
Preorders went up at 10am, it looks like many third party stores ran out of their allocation within a number of minutes! Im not sure if the numbers were constrained by production/distribution issues or artificially limited- I know that's a tactic GW have used in the past.

Allocations depend on how much of the GW range you carry. Including things like paint. My FLGS is enormous and carries a huge range of product so they have a healthy number of preorders available.

I suspect that there are two factors at play. Covid is still restricting GW's manufacturing capability and the company has also not been in the habit of producing a lot of stock for anything other than core products. I also recall them saying early on that this Indomitus box was going to be a limited print run so the lack of pre-orders shouldn't be a surprise.

I, once again, suspect that the company is also hesitant to do a big release at the monent given the unknown nature of the extent of impact that Covid 19 has had on the hobby.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #11210 on: July 12, 2020, 08:36:17 AM »
You've probably got a point there. It does seem, however, that GW moved the goalposts a little for independent sellers at the last minute, which doesn't appear to have helped matters. There were also issues such as Goblin gaming's online shopping system kept selling after they had already reached their limit (although to their credit I think they've dealt with that promptly and with transparency,  its just a shame)

The demand is impressive though, there seems like a big interest in this release, more so that last time around.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11211 on: July 12, 2020, 10:56:25 AM »
I remember my time working in a flgs, and big GW releases were always a strain. Demand always outstripped supply, because GW can't be certain of allocations until a couple of days prior to delivery, mostly due to the fact that they are still producing copies of everything right up to the wire. I remember the horus heresy boxed sets were a painful one, we were told we'd be getting something like 200 copies but had about 600 people put themselves down for pre order, then on the day we got about 100 extra copies (you buy them by request, so gw charges you for as many as they can provide within your request) and they all sold out within a day just from walk in customers.

Gw to their credit are actually quite good to deal with, and have a very dedicated stockist support system, they just struggle to keep up with demand for big releases, which has the knock on impact of slowing production on less desirable kits that get bumped off the supply line to make more space for new stuff.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #11212 on: July 24, 2020, 06:40:25 PM »
This is the good stuff, right here:

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11213 on: July 24, 2020, 06:49:41 PM »
That's fantastic, such fun.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11214 on: July 25, 2020, 02:23:27 AM »
That is magnificent! What a fun Trojan ork concept and well executed.   The "not ork" sign really sells it. lol
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11215 on: July 25, 2020, 06:22:43 AM »
That is magnificent! What a fun Trojan ork concept and well executed.   The "not ork" sign really sells it. lol

Indeed it is, a ork Testudo and Trojan Bunny all in one, excellent.
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11216 on: July 25, 2020, 06:27:08 AM »
I like the "Spesh Marines" part myself.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11217 on: July 26, 2020, 06:42:52 PM »
It's been a while that I clicked on this thread, but now I'm so glad I did.
 lol lol
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #11218 on: July 27, 2020, 09:09:21 PM »
It's been a while that I clicked on this thread, but now I'm so glad I did.
 lol lol

Me too.
That Orky thing is genius!
 8) 8)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11219 on: July 29, 2020, 09:11:23 AM »
From today’s edition of The Times...

The value of Games Workshop rose above £3 billion for the first time yesterday after the maker and seller of fantasy miniature soldiers unveiled a record set of results.

Games Workshop said that it had lost six weeks of sales and profits as a result of the closure of its stores — yet despite the disruption from lockdown it still increased sales by 5 per cent to £269.7 million for the year to the end of May, while pre-tax profits rose by 9 per cent to £89.4 million, beating its own forecasts.

Shares in Games Workshop leapt by 920p, or 10.9 per cent, to £93.75 last night, valuing the business at £3.06 billion.

The maker of Warhammer toy soldiers is now valued at almost three times the worth of Dixons Carphone and 50 per cent more than Marks & Spencer’.

There’s plenty more on this (behind a paywall alas)

Games Workshop eh? A business worth £3bn...  ::)

I hope all those corporate investors and wealth management fund managers are suitably grateful to you loyal GW customers lol