Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:49:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682927 times)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #11295 on: September 29, 2020, 12:07:43 PM »
It's not a "sale" though, it's a psychological trick as others have pointed out. You're not getting that £6 off what you're buying, you're getting the promise of £6 off (next month and only next month) provided you make two large orders instead of one. It's to get you putting in regular orders and on the timescale they decree...

Yeah, I get you. But it's pretty commonplace. Supermarkets do it all of the time. Some brands do it, put a discount off the next purchase on their packaging. Hell, it's exactly what McDonald's does with it's hot drinks though you typically get until the end of the year rather than the next month. It isn't brilliant, but then again, spending £40 is not difficult and with the new edition that's a rule book and a unit I guess. It's around 15% of the purchase back. Which whilst it isn't 15% off, is in line with FLGS and some online retailers in that sense. But it's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. I think it's more a case of just hating capitalism at this point - which is fine by me but call it what it is. All of these sales practices to try and sell more and more often, surround us. I'm somewhat immune to them. If it suits what I am doing, then fine, if not? It's clearly not aimed at me or people in the same position as me.

...and another withered finger curls closed on the monkey paw...

:o And in this year of all years?!!
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #11296 on: September 29, 2020, 01:13:48 PM »
I do kindof regret not getting any of their "virtual vouchers" when they were doing a "buy some, get some free" thing at the start of the pandemic. I don't think there was any time limit on when they could be spent, but I didn't see me buying anything for them for a while so didn't bother.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11297 on: September 30, 2020, 12:30:07 AM »
Funny though. Loads of people moan that GW never does anything like this, then when they do they moan more.

This is not a sale.  A sale would be an immediate discount.  Given it's a delayed discount for less than I can get online from other vendors for my initial purchase, it seems rather silly.  When I bought P&G items (that I needed anyway) from my warehouse club - I received a 25% gift card rebate.  The point of this type of rebate is to get people to buy their brands in the belief we will purchase them again.  I fail to see how this effort by GW is really meaningful.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #11298 on: October 01, 2020, 09:13:09 AM »
I do kindof regret not getting any of their "virtual vouchers" when they were doing a "buy some, get some free" thing at the start of the pandemic. I don't think there was any time limit on when they could be spent, but I didn't see me buying anything for them for a while so didn't bother.

You mean when they, effectively, offered an extra 10% free?
Then raised their prices by at least 10% to offset this!!!

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #11299 on: October 01, 2020, 01:29:48 PM »
That's the one. For some reason I remembered it as being much more generous, like 50% free, but you're correct, it was 10%. Perhaps that was why I didn't bother :(

I was given some physical GW vouchers for my birthday, which was just before the lockdown. Hopefully I'll get to spend them before my next birthday o_o

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #11300 on: October 01, 2020, 10:14:22 PM »
This is not a sale.  A sale would be an immediate discount.  Given it's a delayed discount for less than I can get online from other vendors for my initial purchase, it seems rather silly.  When I bought P&G items (that I needed anyway) from my warehouse club - I received a 25% gift card rebate.  The point of this type of rebate is to get people to buy their brands in the belief we will purchase them again.  I fail to see how this effort by GW is really meaningful.

I mean, I hate to say it, but you know, you failing to see how it is meaningful doesn't mean it is actually meaningless. What it possibly is worth it for is the direct only stuff you can't get elsewhere and can't get the 20% off that the other retailers can offer on the standard stuff. And I think you can still order it into your local store if you have one, which means no postage. Still not a lot.

Also, I accept that it isn't a 'sale', and sort of have done for a few posts now.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11301 on: October 05, 2020, 05:26:04 AM »
I mean, I hate to say it, but you know, you failing to see how it is meaningful doesn't mean it is actually meaningless. What it possibly is worth it for is the direct only stuff you can't get elsewhere and can't get the 20% off that the other retailers can offer on the standard stuff. And I think you can still order it into your local store if you have one, which means no postage. Still not a lot.

Also, I accept that it isn't a 'sale', and sort of have done for a few posts now.

I buy the non direct items for a 20% discount retail then pay their higher fees for direct only when I have too which is rather rare. So far, I have never come out on the losing end of that. What do you buy direct that could cost less given the structure of this purchase twice for a discount deal? What real purchases worked out for you to make this deal meaningful?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 05:34:42 AM by syrinx0 »

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #11302 on: October 05, 2020, 02:15:51 PM »
I'm not going to pursue this avenue of conversation any further to be honest.

There are areas in the world - where this may be more valuable than to others. I know of people in Australia who order direct as it is cheaper than buying new from shops there due to the additional costs that GW put on their prices there for shipping etc.

As already mentioned, not everyone has the ability or access to a FLGS which offers a 20% discount.

Whether it is meaningful to you or not, or me or not doesn't make it meaningless. It may make it less attractive to many people who have access to a 20% discount on RRP or who have no interest in direct only items. It may be a small number of people. But it is what it is. It is still a gesture. Something more than previously seen. And as someone else has mentioned, they did a deal with their vouchers as well.

They'll never suit everyone. Just the same as a sale on ties in your favoured clothing store may entirely pass me by. It doesn't bother me, I hope those that buy ties enjoy it. Meaningless to me as I have the four I will ever need, but perhaps not to someone who wears one 9-5, Mon-Fri and likes to mix it up with their suit accessories.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11303 on: October 05, 2020, 02:36:56 PM »
looks like those new giants are coming next week. very curious to see what the price point is - I imagine something inline with the knight kits, but given recent prices it could be substantially more.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #11304 on: October 05, 2020, 04:59:47 PM »
120 UKpounds has been leaked... A bit too steep for my wallet.
Leadhead

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #11305 on: October 05, 2020, 05:39:40 PM »
looks like those new giants are coming next week. very curious to see what the price point is - I imagine something inline with the knight kits, but given recent prices it could be substantially more.
The price will be giant.

Sorry, I know. Too obvious.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #11306 on: October 05, 2020, 06:19:48 PM »
The price will be giant.

Sorry, I know. Too obvious.
Bless you for trying though.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11307 on: October 05, 2020, 07:54:10 PM »

Ouch. that's ...well, I pay that much for a months studio rental.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #11308 on: October 05, 2020, 08:57:52 PM »
I wonder if there will get to a stage where even the most die hard gw fan boy will say sod it your taking the urine now an not buy it ?

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #11309 on: October 06, 2020, 12:01:53 AM »
I'm assuming it's a single sculpt...

Sons of Behemat: Gargants Evolved

« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 04:51:53 AM by Condottiere »