Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:00:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683437 times)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #11970 on: October 31, 2022, 09:52:17 PM »
It's a widely known fact that all of those designers and sculptors are members of the Action Man Cabal, secretly working towards bringing back the masculine Barbie dolls from back in the day.

It is foretold that the process will become irriversible once genuine cloth will be used for clothing articles...

lol lol lol

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #11971 on: November 12, 2022, 01:24:13 PM »
The irony is that 40k has always been the worst of the 40k setting systems - necromunda/kill team/inquisitor were great for small scale skirmish, Epic/titanicus for massive battles. As a result, 40k has always felt like it can't decide what it wants to be - it flitters between apocalypse sized car parks or trying to be a small platoon game with far too many massive units. The ideal for 40k as a game is to stick to combat patrol sized games and maintain a strong identity rather than stepping on its own toes.

Quoted for truth.
Well said

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #11972 on: November 21, 2022, 07:51:14 PM »
It is astonishing how hit-and-miss Forgeworld's Necromunda range is (and GW's really, but esp. FW).

But this is proper good Necromunda weirdness in my opinion!

And she's got a weirdo Squat sidekick.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #11973 on: November 21, 2022, 08:15:00 PM »
I'd just wish they'd bring Epic back.

I've been really put off by how bizarre GW release schedule is. The Space Marine range is wonky. I quite like the height of Primaris, but the range seems wonky with the old marines still about, and a lot of older Marine units not being fully replicated as Primaris.

Now your basic Human is getting almost as tall as a true scale SM, and I'm not taken by these new Cadians, they look too retro-U.S G.I. The Weapons etc have all taken a solid step back (although I like the addition of knee pads. Every soldier should have them).

Wish they'd stuck to the original design but made them more dynamic. I'd heard these were on their way and were looking forward to some new IG, but they're a big disappointment.

Also the Tank is just more daft than usual. 

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #11974 on: November 22, 2022, 05:01:43 AM »
But this is proper good Necromunda weirdness in my opinion!
Yes, these are fantastic. It's just a pity they are Forgeworld.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11975 on: November 22, 2022, 08:37:07 AM »

Also the Tank is just more daft than usual.

The tank is odd - it has the look of something designed by a dakkadakka comment thread, in which all the "realistic" mistakes of an imperial tank design were corrected, and in the end they just ended up with a WW2 tank with guns bolted on. It seems remarkably at odds with imperial tank design which always felt more interwar than specifically second world war. I almost wander if there wasn't too much consideration given to fan feedback at the expense of a strong creative hand.

The end result just looks like a chunky Cromwell and by extension has the look of a third party "not warhammer" tank.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11976 on: November 24, 2022, 01:41:33 AM »
Yes, these are fantastic. It's just a pity they are Forgeworld.

100%.  I see actual Blanchitsu from those sculpts...and in awfully produced, horribly expensive garbage Forgeworld resin.  Whoops.

PS: With Forgeworld pretending to still be a premium outfit I'm absolutely flabbergasted they don't do high quality resin prints instead of their ancient (and poorly done) resin stuff.  We know they print a lot of test models etc.  You can see in a lot of box art and promo-paint jobs that they're using resin printed minis, etc.  Time to ditch their awful resin and just print stuff.  Same goes for larger models - that should all be printed nowdays instead of cast.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11977 on: November 24, 2022, 11:49:58 AM »
100%.  I see actual Blanchitsu from those sculpts...and in awfully produced, horribly expensive garbage Forgeworld resin.  Whoops.

PS: With Forgeworld pretending to still be a premium outfit I'm absolutely flabbergasted they don't do high quality resin prints instead of their ancient (and poorly done) resin stuff.  We know they print a lot of test models etc.  You can see in a lot of box art and promo-paint jobs that they're using resin printed minis, etc.  Time to ditch their awful resin and just print stuff.  Same goes for larger models - that should all be printed nowdays instead of cast.

I doubt it would be time/cost effective given the volume or orders they're likely dealing with.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #11978 on: November 24, 2022, 12:24:41 PM »
The tank is odd - it has the look of something designed by a dakkadakka comment thread, in which all the "realistic" mistakes of an imperial tank design were corrected, and in the end they just ended up with a WW2 tank with guns bolted on. It seems remarkably at odds with imperial tank design which always felt more interwar than specifically second world war. I almost wander if there wasn't too much consideration given to fan feedback at the expense of a strong creative hand.

The end result just looks like a chunky Cromwell and by extension has the look of a third party "not warhammer" tank.

Nearly all their recent vehicles have been somewhat like this. That's not to say all their older designs were amazing (...they weren't), but the new ones do often seem to lack much focus in design or purpose. The Necromunda and Leagues vehicles are at the better end of the scale, I have to admit. By way of example though, I present this:

It's got just about every type of weapon on it, for all sorts of different ranges and targets, and all pointing in every direction. Oh, and it transports part of a squad as well.  In terms of "design space" for a faction, this thing's an awkward hog that seems to either do everything competently, or nothing well enough to bother with. It's been out a few years now, and I still haven't warmed to it at all. :?

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #11979 on: November 24, 2022, 12:34:27 PM »
...It's got just about every type of weapon on it, for all sorts of different ranges and targets, and all pointing in every direction. Oh, and it transports part of a squad as well.  In terms of "design space" for a faction, this thing's an awkward hog that seems to either do everything competently, or nothing well enough to bother with...

That reminds of the design process of the M2 Bradley, as presented in the film Pentagon Wars...  lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11980 on: November 24, 2022, 12:37:05 PM »
Nearly all their recent vehicles have been somewhat like this. That's not to say all their older designs were amazing (...they weren't), but the new ones do often seem to lack much focus in design or purpose. The Necromunda and Leagues vehicles are at the better end of the scale, I have to admit. By way of example though, I present this:

It's got just about every type of weapon on it, for all sorts of different ranges and targets, and all pointing in every direction. Oh, and it transports part of a squad as well.  In terms of "design space" for a faction, this thing's an awkward hog that seems to either do everything competently, or nothing well enough to bother with. It's been out a few years now, and I still haven't warmed to it at all. :?

Please don't remind me of that thing  lol I think if you strip it back to its basic hull there's a cool design under there but it just feels like too much, too design by committee. I think it speaks volumes about the failures of the design that I've never actually seen one in the flesh outside of a games workshop display case.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #11981 on: November 24, 2022, 01:09:17 PM »
I think that for me, the main issue is that while Primaris Marines are clearly “Space Marines 2.0” with many of the original design flaws addressed to a greater extent, that lesson does not seem to have carried over to their vehicles.

Whilst I understand the need to preserve the stylings of the Rhino and Land Raider in Marine vehicles (both for the faction’s design appearance, and for the in-universe STC explanation), I think a great opportunity to have two different styles of chassis for different applications has been missed.

Personally, I’d have had a two types of core chassis (one for tanks and weapon-carriers, and one for transports and command/utility vehicles) and in two different sizes (one large and one small). Whilst GW did do the two sizes, having more core chassis types seems to not have been considered. This is a shame, as it means that opportunity to “re-use” the core for new vehicle designs in future seems to be more limited than it needed to be.

Anyway, grumble over! ;)

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11982 on: November 27, 2022, 05:04:25 PM »
I think that for me, the main issue is that while Primaris Marines are clearly “Space Marines 2.0” with many of the original design flaws addressed to a greater extent, that lesson does not seem to have carried over to their vehicles.

Whilst I understand the need to preserve the stylings of the Rhino and Land Raider in Marine vehicles (both for the faction’s design appearance, and for the in-universe STC explanation), I think a great opportunity to have two different styles of chassis for different applications has been missed.

Personally, I’d have had a two types of core chassis (one for tanks and weapon-carriers, and one for transports and command/utility vehicles) and in two different sizes (one large and one small). Whilst GW did do the two sizes, having more core chassis types seems to not have been considered. This is a shame, as it means that opportunity to “re-use” the core for new vehicle designs in future seems to be more limited than it needed to be.

Anyway, grumble over! ;)

I’ve never had a GW tank. I’m assembling the Horus Heresy core box over Xmas. I’m a bit intimidated by how huge it is. Not just for construction but painting. Enjoyed the Pentagon Wars clip. Never knew of it. Sure that Colonel was on the West Wing when he got older.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #11983 on: November 27, 2022, 05:54:37 PM »
That reminds of the design process of the M2 Bradley, as presented in the film Pentagon Wars...  lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

See I wish we had this kind of silly backstory to the new tanks! it would help give them character which they are currently sorely lacking sadly.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #11984 on: November 27, 2022, 11:37:59 PM »
I love the 40k vehicles.
I have around 40 or 50 Guard and Marine AFVs.