Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:28:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682898 times)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #180 on: October 16, 2013, 09:00:04 AM »
.....but dont be posting them up anywhere, will you.
 ::)

As if I could be bothered  ::)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #181 on: October 16, 2013, 09:35:31 AM »
I asked at GW recently, the local manager gave me that I have no knowledge spiel, which, TBH, was probably correct......

Thats sounds like SOP alright.  In an era of Kickstarters were people essentially pre-order toy soldiers about a year in advance it seems like peculiar practice for GW to do the exact opposite.  Im sure they have their reasons [SHRUG].

To be honest, if there was enough to make it worth buying in the box, I don't see that as a problem.
Plenty of scope for everyone to make their own ideas work and expand it in whichever direction you wanted to.

Thats how I feel about it too.  At worst an Inquisitor game is going to be a box full of cool plastic stuff that can be shoehorned into my other games.  GW boxes are still decent value and the quality of any new sets will surely be outstanding (Dreadfleet may have been a dodgy game but the plastics in it were beautiful.  Space Hulk was fantastic all round).

Honestly I would prefer if GW didnt support any potential release but that it was open ended enough to allow easy incorporation of existing 40K stuff.  Wishful thinking maybe, but one day GW might move back to the small game leading to the bigger purchase model that they used to get my cash from me for years.

I dont need another money pit, but a one off purchase of some choice plastics and hopefully scenery and/or objective marker type things would be perfect for me.

All the above assuming that its actually a real release of course :D

Latest word is that its a false rumour and not happening. Still half hoping its gonna turn up, but unlikely.

Oh.  Balls :( 

Do you have a link by any chance Kitsune?

Shit teaser videos inbound  ::) lol

I gave up looking at any of those after that one for paint that simply had the number "150" fading in and out of view.  I had to watch it twice to double check that it had streamed properly and that I wasnt having some sort of seizure lol

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #182 on: October 16, 2013, 10:20:30 AM »
I remember the first time the Inquisitor game came out, with its oversized figures. I think it was a really good idea as a concept, but the models were just too big. White Dwarf kept flogging the expired pony for a long time after everyone else had stopped talking about it I think.

I don't understand why they chose the scale they did (60mm wasn't it?), because it meant there was a limited range they could make, and each one was, of course, quite expensive. Maybe it was because being a skirmish game, GW knew they wouldn't sell many models so wanted to get plenty from them, or perhaps it was to stop people just using their old 40K models for it, or a bit of both.

I even remember when they brought out large scale plastic models back in ... let me think, '84? '85? It was their first dip of the toe into plastic models and they were pretty nice, although aimed at the younger gamer (they were really just toys). It didn't stop them turning up in our Warhammer games as giants (my brother still uses one ogre or troll as an enormous giant).

The big models just don't seem to be anywhere near as popular as 28mm, for whatever reason.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #183 on: October 16, 2013, 11:23:17 AM »
GW boxed sets are usually excellent value for money, and the quality of the models in them is high.

As for the rumours, who knows?  I can see a lot of people WANTING such a beastie from GW (me included), and I can see other companies are picking up the "boxed skirmish game + extras" as both a sweet spot and GW's blind spot, but GW seem set on their own path these days.

If it works for them, fair enough, but I'm another one who only goes into their shops once every few months to pick up some paints (I love their new base colours).

Cheetor, add me as another one who'd love to hear about your 7TV Inquisitor games!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:29:55 AM by Momotaro »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #184 on: October 16, 2013, 04:50:28 PM »
I remember the first time the Inquisitor game came out, with its oversized figures. I think it was a really good idea as a concept, but the models were just too big. White Dwarf kept flogging the expired pony for a long time after everyone else had stopped talking about it I think.

I don't understand why they chose the scale they did (60mm wasn't it?), because it meant there was a limited range they could make, and each one was, of course, quite expensive. Maybe it was because being a skirmish game, GW knew they wouldn't sell many models so wanted to get plenty from them, or perhaps it was to stop people just using their old 40K models for it, or a bit of both.

I even remember when they brought out large scale plastic models back in ... let me think, '84? '85? It was their first dip of the toe into plastic models and they were pretty nice, although aimed at the younger gamer (they were really just toys). It didn't stop them turning up in our Warhammer games as giants (my brother still uses one ogre or troll as an enormous giant).

The big models just don't seem to be anywhere near as popular as 28mm, for whatever reason.

Probably because once models get beyond about 40mm, the amount of space you need to store terrain, figures etc. becomes enormous. It's also much harder to do large games. Yes, of course that's intentional/known, but plenty of people like the versatility of being able to use the same figures for both skirmish & mass battle games (as you yourself pointed out).

I honestly think that the reason 25mm-40mm is so popular is because it's the "sweet spot" in terms of size. Easy to do large and small scale battles and games, space required isn't TOO huge, and the figures are big enough to see and paint smaller details.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #185 on: October 16, 2013, 05:34:07 PM »
Maybe they're doing a Foundry and in a couple of years everything will be alright again  :D

cheers

James

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #186 on: October 16, 2013, 08:10:38 PM »
Maybe they're doing a Foundry and in a couple of years everything will be alright again  :D

cheers

James

Don't say things like that, man! A flying pig just flew by my window and almost crashed into our neighbours' house! And can you imagine what de-frosting the frozen hellscapes will cost, in this day and age with current energy prices?

;)

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #187 on: October 16, 2013, 09:30:04 PM »

I think the typical GW gamer is still someone who's bought a bunch of 28mm minis for WH**, gradually expands to tournament-legal, hopes to get them painted some day, and considers building a bit of terrain after that. Also, he's more likely to start another half-painted horde than actually get to the terrain-building phase. Within 28mm WH games, at least something you own may be reusable - that bag of trees and a generic ruin or whatever. However, starting another game in a new scale, incompatible with everything you own and pretty much requiring a set of elaborate terrain generally isn't an option. Especially when none of your friends are playing either and there are no tournaments.

And if you treat 54mm minis as 1/32 or something, your 4' table represents less than 40m of action space. I'd find it a bit silly to deploy minis with firearms on a field which can be crossed in less than ten seconds and everything is within a thrown javelin's range to start with. Why not just play a RPG if you're there for the plot rather than ten-second tennis court combat mechanics? At least it won't cost you £30 per player character.

I only remember hearing once about two guys playing Inquisitor, and they were using 28mm stuff. I'm not sure if I've ever actually seen a game of it. That's how popular it was in a country with zero official GW stores to hype it back then.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #188 on: October 17, 2013, 08:03:31 AM »
Those are the old figures at new prices.  Yes, that is a Retributor squad of five heavy weapon troops selling for £43:

There are a bunch of these sets available, all under the "new" banner - http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440161a

What I find most interesting is that they're still metal - they've not even tried to convert them to resin. I suspect this also means they will be online only, as I doubt any of the stores are allowed metal anymore  o_o

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #189 on: October 17, 2013, 08:21:34 AM »

Oh.  Balls :( 

Do you have a link by any chance Kitsune?

No link, but the WD cover for November only has Dark Elves and WFB stuff mentioned.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #190 on: October 17, 2013, 01:49:10 PM »
So, I have no will to buy yet another Codex or Army Books, and it is some years since I played with my toys, so.........  Where is there a good place to offload four GW armies plus all the assorted books and paraphernalia that go with them?  I can't ever see them being used again.  :'(
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #191 on: October 17, 2013, 08:55:52 PM »
Where is there a good place to offload four GW armies plus all the assorted books and paraphernalia that go with them?  I can't ever see them being used again.  :'(

The Bazaar or eBay, I'd guess  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #192 on: November 01, 2013, 07:31:57 PM »
Just to prove I try to remain even-handed at all times, a big thumbs-up to the GW paint-pot designs.

I bought two pots of the ... something weird-named earthshade, the new version of Devlan Mud ... in town and although I found the contents of the pot to be too thin for what I wanted, the design of the lid is a work of genius. The way the little tab engages when the lid is lifted and pushes it clear of the side of the pot at just the right angle ... I just love to see something that has been nicely engineered.

It went into my gloopy mess pot anyway, as part of my 'Shade Mix' potion.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #193 on: November 03, 2013, 06:43:19 PM »
Just to prove I try to remain even-handed at all times, a big thumbs-up to the GW paint-pot designs.

I bought two pots of the ... something weird-named earthshade, the new version of Devlan Mud ... in town and although I found the contents of the pot to be too thin for what I wanted, the design of the lid is a work of genius. The way the little tab engages when the lid is lifted and pushes it clear of the side of the pot at just the right angle ... I just love to see something that has been nicely engineered.

It went into my gloopy mess pot anyway, as part of my 'Shade Mix' potion.

Well, they couldn't do any worse than the previous version that wouldn't stay open, could they, now? I have to use a matchstick to hold those open.

Taken into consideration that paint pot lids staying open after opening have very much been the standard for as long as I can remember, it hardly is worth giving GW credit for using some that does (too)...?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #194 on: November 03, 2013, 08:07:33 PM »
No, it's more than that - have a look at one. There's this little tab at the back and it engages with the lid when opened in such a way that it holds it, elongated spouted pointed right back into the belly of the pot, without closing or leaning back (thus preventing drooling of the paint around the rim or down the pot). Fair's fair, I reckon this is something the designer (whoever it may be) should be proud of, because it's such a simple thing and it manages to do what no pot lid has done before for me - ie, stay put exactly where I want it.

Not enough for me to buy the product inside though, because the Army Painter ink was better for me, but I believe in giving credit where it's due.