Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:34:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683047 times)

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #240 on: December 02, 2013, 07:36:00 AM »
If I was bonkers I would collect the really old ones where each warrior was a little work of art and individual.

Yeah when I first got into GW (92/93 ish) I loved Chaos Warriors and 40k Chaos Renegades. Especially the Champions. The new ones have no charm really. But  agree the previous, hunched ones were pretty cool too.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #241 on: December 02, 2013, 08:13:05 AM »
TBH the minis have lost a lot of charm as well mate.I personally think its when they started to get ultra realistic.

This^

That sentence sums up GW for me.
When every figure that was produced had its own individual character.
Those were the 'golden years' of Citadel, for me at least.

Plastic box sets were good when they first came out, as you could build an ar,y fairly cheaply, if that was your thing, or stick to the 'character' models if you so chose.
Nowadays, 'cheap' is not a word that fits when discussing GW armies.
Sadly, 'characterful' is not either, at present.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #242 on: December 02, 2013, 10:05:10 AM »
Yep, the 90s chaos stuff was great. Glad I got the lost and the damned book, the golden era of GW really.
Dwarfs in barrels  :? All I'm going to say.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #243 on: December 02, 2013, 01:15:13 PM »
How about the original Bot5A boxed set they did, is that still for sale?

cheers

James

I am in the market for one of those to. Looks like a fun, moderately sized game.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #244 on: December 02, 2013, 01:28:47 PM »
This^

That sentence sums up GW for me.
When every figure that was produced had its own individual character.
Those were the 'golden years' of Citadel, for me at least.

Plastic box sets were good when they first came out, as you could build an ar,y fairly cheaply, if that was your thing, or stick to the 'character' models if you so chose.
Nowadays, 'cheap' is not a word that fits when discussing GW armies.
Sadly, 'characterful' is not either, at present.

But to be fair you're comparing apples to oranges.  When I think of the 'Golden Days of Games Workshop", I'm not even thinking 'Games Workshop' as much as 'Citadel' and 'Marauder'....  I think the former is quite different than the two latter companies.  

Years ago I remember watching an interview with Gene Rodenberry when he was discussing the development of TOS, he said that the executives insisted in watering down the show.  In their view, they wanted to reach the widest audience possible, and the nest way to do this was to make the program mediocre.  I'm suggesting that this is the general trend when marketing to larger audiences.

My lunchtime wanderings into the local GW shop, mind you the ONLY mini store of any kind in Amsterdam, are fewer and fewer....  There is just nothing inspirational there at all, which is sad because it was GW that REALLY got me into the hobby....
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #245 on: December 02, 2013, 02:26:49 PM »
But to be fair you're comparing apples to oranges.

Yep, and them oranges are ruddy expensive!
 ;)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #246 on: December 02, 2013, 02:34:35 PM »
I am in the market for one of those to. Looks like a fun, moderately sized game.

Battle of the Five Armies was basically Warmaster, with a Hobbit theme. I have it, and all the metal blisters that came out for it, including Smaug. :)
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #247 on: December 02, 2013, 02:43:26 PM »
But to be fair you're comparing apples to oranges.
100% Agree, despite GW keeps the same name there are two companies, the (lets call it) golden era GW, of boardgames aimed to old teens and young adult in the loop of wargames.
That company crashed, and was bought in the last instance to be reshaped as a toy maker for kids, the current GW, keeps the same name and brands, but it's a different company, different product, different customer target
The more time passes the less of the old GW remains, even the oldest employees has been fired in the last years.
Compare the modern GW with the old one is like comparing modern Disney with the company doing films in the 40s.
mm re-reading this maybe sounds a bit trollish, if so I'm sorry but i'm in my lunch break and I have no time to rewrite it :-)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 02:44:59 PM by Donpimpom »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #248 on: December 02, 2013, 02:48:45 PM »
mm re-reading this maybe sounds a bit trollish, if so I'm sorry but i'm in my lunch break and I have no time to rewrite it :-)

No worries, mate.

I happen to agree.
I am just one of those that remembers the 'good old days' of GW fondly..... :'(

It just rankles to see what they have become.*

*A bit like modern day football, but that is another topic entirely....

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #249 on: December 02, 2013, 03:10:34 PM »
Do you remember the Old White Dwarves that catered for a variety of games and RPGs, not just their own? Judge Dredd, Dr Who, Star Trek, Paranoia, D&D and Runequest to name a few, along with wide ranges of figures.  Now it is just a glossy advert for their latest toys in their three, shortly to be two, core, and only, games!

Sad, but in keeping with where their whole marketing strategy has gone.  :'(
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #250 on: December 02, 2013, 03:33:52 PM »
Battle of the Five Armies was basically Warmaster, with a Hobbit theme. I have it, and all the metal blisters that came out for it, including Smaug. :)

From what I hear warmaster is pretty good and instead of a wide point build system having two pretty much pre-made armies should allows the designers to have created interesting match-ups so, the questions stands. Is it any good?

I think a friend of mine has it, pretty sure he mentioned years ago he thought I should paint the minis as he couldn't really be bothered with that scale. actually was that set 6mm or 10mm? cant recall.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #251 on: December 02, 2013, 04:08:53 PM »
10mm. Really good system; it has spawned Black Powder, Hail Caesar, and Pike & Shotte now too. Great fun, innovative command system. Oh, and the Blitzkrieg/Cold War Commander series too. So it's solid.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #252 on: December 02, 2013, 04:10:16 PM »
From what I hear warmaster is pretty good and instead of a wide point build system having two pretty much pre-made armies should allows the designers to have created interesting match-ups so, the questions stands. Is it any good?

I think a friend of mine has it, pretty sure he mentioned years ago he thought I should paint the minis as he couldn't really be bothered with that scale. actually was that set 6mm or 10mm? cant recall.
Speaking as someone who rarely manages a game, and who hasn't played Warmaster in years, at least basing on memory it IS good, and emphasises the need for leaders spread across the army to control the troops, for example.
It's 10mm - the models are 10mm scale, but could be played with 6mm models.

Besides Warmaster and BoT5 there was also Warmaster Ancients, with historicals in mind.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #253 on: December 02, 2013, 04:55:40 PM »
Completely forgot about the Ancients sets! My bad!  :'(

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #254 on: December 02, 2013, 05:11:49 PM »
Completely forgot about the Ancients sets! My bad!  :'(
Well, I had no idea that Black Powder et al were derived, so I guess we built up the full picture.  :)